Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd May 2013, 14:58   #1
BHPian

Default Wanna get married, make sure you have a toilet! (New law in MP?)

Well that is the new law about to be passed in MP as I have heard on the Radio and through some friends. The MP government is mandating that all prospective grooms before tying the knot, need to ensure that they have a functional toilet in the premises of residence.

I still don't know if this going to be passed. Thankfully Indian or western is not a criteria . Just that the local municipal officer will take a photo of the said facilities and will attach it at the Registrars office before allowing for the Union to go through.

I can't explain it but I do feel at some level that this is a good thing, at least it will increase safety of women. What do you guys think?.

Here is a TOI article about the increase in Rape cases due to lack of toilets in the house.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...oilet-facility

Last edited by eq24 : 22nd May 2013 at 15:04. Reason: Added link for article.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Wanna get married, make sure you have a toilet! (New law in MP?)

May be a true observation but I wish if our Government first device many e-Toilets so that everyone first feels its necessary to use one rather than searching for hidden corners.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a crazy country where almost everyone has a mobile phone but where a huge number of people have no access to decent toilet facilities...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

On a related note, I remember reading an article about a newly-married woman who refused to stay at her in-laws, due to lack of toilet facilties.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is laughable news.

What's the point of having toilet facilities when lots of places in MP still have shortages of water. Next, they will pass a law that with the functional toilet the prospective grooms will have to ensure a lifetime supply of toilet paper? And some soap too while they're at it?

This bit of news should stay as news. Not worthy of making it a law, per se.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 00:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
This is laughable news.
!

I have no sisters. Though I had female cousins staying at my home for long time, I never understood the real importance of an attached bathroom for the lady till I got married. Leave alone 'a' toilet.

It is cruelty to make her parade in front of the whole family for an emergency during those days.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:37   #7
BHPian

I've seen an ad in a channel about this. I think it starred Vidya Balan.
sharoncr_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 09:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Wanna get married, make sure you have a toilet! (New law in MP?)

Was talking to my mom today morning. She was saying how most doctor's offices make dozens of people wait outside, sometimes for hours, while not providing any toilet facilities. She recalled visiting many grand/posh clinics with huge waiting rooms, large reception area, multiple testing rooms, but no toilet for visitors. There was even a place where employees didn't have toilets. Only the doctor had a private one inside his office. Any clinic without toilet should not be allowed to operate at all. It is utter cruelty towards the the patients who are often forced to wait for hours.

Why does government let retail businesses run without toilet facilities? It just beats me. That is one of the primary reasons why lots of people prefer to shop in the mall, which provides these basic necessities.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 10:12   #9
BHPian

While providing basic amenities is a must , maintaining them cleanly is equally important. Most establishments complain that they do not get people to clean it periodically.Most government establishments have very poorly maintained facilities.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Was talking to my mom today morning. She was saying how most doctor's offices make dozens of people wait outside, sometimes for hours, while not providing any toilet facilities. She recalled visiting many grand/posh clinics with huge waiting rooms, large reception area, multiple testing rooms, but no toilet for visitors. There was even a place where employees didn't have toilets. Only the doctor had a private one inside his office. Any clinic without toilet should not be allowed to operate at all. It is utter cruelty towards the the patients who are often forced to wait for hours.

Why does government let retail businesses run without toilet facilities? It just beats me. That is one of the primary reasons why lots of people prefer to shop in the mall, which provides these basic necessities.
Most of the commercial complexes do have a (defunct usually) toilet.
So most of the retail establishments do tick the compliance box in some way or the other.

The issue with independent "shop" kind of arrangement is that what would be the criteria then? Even a Kirana shop may turn up in the defaulter list of the "toilet rule".

On the other hand, my personal rule about clinics and restaurants is simple: no toilet = no repeat customer (me), no matter how great its products or services may be. (another version of this rule is: no parking = no repeat from my side)

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th October 2015 at 11:01.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 11:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The issue with independent "shop" kind of arrangement is that what would be the criteria then? Even a Kirana shop may turn up in the defaulter list of the "toilet rule".
They should make it compulsory for any business where customers spend lot of time inside the shop. Sensible shops do that anyway, law or not. Some standalone saree shops in Bangalore provide clean toilets to their customers, so that they stay long and make more purchases. It makes business sense.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 11:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They should make it compulsory for any business where customers spend lot of time inside the shop. Sensible shops do that anyway, law or not. Some standalone saree shops in Bangalore provide clean toilets to their customers, so that they stay long and make more purchases. It makes business sense.
The counter point would be: why do customers throng establishments even though there is no toilet and therefore a higher potential of inconvenience.
A few tart remarks and people walking out may (slowly perhaps) lead the business owner to understand (like the saree shop example you have mentioned) that a toilet can be a worthwhile investment.

However, it looks like most of the Indians don't really care about toilets. And if they are provided with toilets then they treat the entire toilet like a latrine pit.

Both the establishment owners and the customers are to blamed in the current scenario.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 06:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
A few tart remarks and people walking out may (slowly perhaps) lead the business owner to understand (like the saree shop example you have mentioned) that a toilet can be a worthwhile investment.

However, it looks like most of the Indians don't really care about toilets. And if they are provided with toilets then they treat the entire toilet like a latrine pit.
Good first point. I went to a boarding school in udupi and our family did a drive of 250kms to get there. Through the years the only hotels we stopped at had good toilets for women. Else that place never got us back again.

Second point over cleanliness: Its a problem around the world. Public toilets in the states are also dirty, Someone needs to clean it regularly. Also the users should have basic manners of flush before exiting.

Glad people are talking about it!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote