Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 17:30   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Parents still have a set of Classical music in Cassettes. They wanted to get a small player and almost shortlisted on this
There is an option to record from cassette to usb directly. planning to get this soon
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 18:03   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 502 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

What i am puzzled today is what to do with my LP's. At the moment i am going to keep them and buy a Turntable to use them soon.
You should. Because vinyl is still alive and kicking, unlike cassettes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ar...anted=all&_r=0
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 21:15   #18
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Another option in, some of these Video mixing folks use older Cassettes to mix audio with Video. I am not sure if they still do that, but worth a try.
Music 'shops' are extinct in Hyderabad. Yet to spot one in 3 years of staying here. Will have to search for a video guy specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cassettes? Some years back, I was wondering what to do with my CDs! Completely transferred to iTunes, so they were just lying around unused. Last I heard, the case logic was circulating between the Bangalore Moderators.

Put it up on the giveaway thread.
Well, for CDs it was easy. I ripped them to my hard drive at 320kbps and threw them away.

But I really do not want to convert any of the cassettes into MP3s due to quality issues.

We don't listen to any of them and neither are we even the slightest bit nostalgic about them. So, yea, I guess it will go on the giveaway thread (or the dumpster if no takers).
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 10:44   #19
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 611
Thanked: 412 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

I could never bring myself to throw off stuff much to the anger of my wife

Tapes, CDs, Books, Comics all get collected and stored in nooks and crannies. Still can remember the time i saw a black sabbath tape in my uncle's collection, put it in out of curiosity and bam instant nirvana Still have that tape "borrowed" from him for the past 20 odd years.

But i can understand throwing away tapes because conversion will not be perfect and they are prone to damage from fungus but why throw away cds? ripping them to mp3 robs them off quality yes?

I still buy cds btw. get the flac first. like it then i buy the cd.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 10:59   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 669 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Any ideas?
As other BHPians have suggested, do put it up on the giveaway thread or gift it to someone in your family who still listens to cassette.

If nothing works, do NOT throw it away. You can make a beatiful pencil/pen holder by selecting any four colorful cassettes from your collection and applying Fevicol.

Do have a read : Recycling Cassette Tapes, 10 DIY Ideas from ScrapHacker.com
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:20   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,709
Thanked: 1,077 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

if these are older english tapes (80's or older), I would gladly accept them. Chennai folks - if anybody has some old english tapes lying around that they're not using, Please do let me know, can pick them up. Depending on the content and the condition, open to paying reasonable amounts

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th June 2013 at 23:21.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 09:04   #22
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Anybody who wants to part with their LPs, give me a shout. I am also open to pay a reasonable amount for the same.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 12:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Anybody who wants to part with their LPs, give me a shout. I am also open to pay a reasonable amount for the same.
So I am not the lone contender...hmm....btw, which type of music you prefer on vinyl and which TT you have?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 12:48   #24
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So I am not the lone contender...hmm....btw, which type of music you prefer on vinyl and which TT you have?
Hello Saket,

He.He.He.. right now my collection consists of the 80's Bollywood music and the 80's pop and rock. I do not want to buy new records yet, so my sources are mainly from friends and other discards

I have recently added a few Bhimsen Joshi's from Bombay Fort second hand market, but their condition is pathetic. So would not want to count them.

I am using the Denon DP 300F, how about you.

Anybody come across any old SPOOL Tapes and players, I am looking for one to add to my vintage collection.

Regards

Last edited by shivshanker : 20th June 2013 at 12:50.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 13:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Hello Saket,

He.He.He.. right now my collection consists of the 80's Bollywood music and the 80's pop and rock. I do not want to buy new records yet, so my sources are mainly from friends and other discards

I have recently added a few Bhimsen Joshi's from Bombay Fort second hand market, but their condition is pathetic. So would not want to count them.

I am using the Denon DP 300F, how about you.

Anybody come across any old SPOOL Tapes and players, I am looking for one to add to my vintage collection.

Regards
So we have a vinyl head too here among the petrol heads! My collection is mainly of hindi movies & some albums ranging since 1960s to some new movie LPs. A few English ones too like Boney M & MJ. The seeds of interest were sown by my father. The collection may be anywhere around 250-300 records including EPs & LPs.
Dad had a nice & well maintained HMV Fiesta bought in 1975, which runs fabulously even now. That's more than 38 years. Later, I acquired some other HMVs & Philips record players.

Though, my primary setup is a direct drive Technics SL-Q33 with Shure M44-7 cart. Have a vintage Pioneer amp SX-434 as the pre-amp.

As of now, I have 5 TTs - 2 HMV (Fiesta & Fiesta Popular), 2 Philips ( 832 & 633) & a Technics SL-Q33.

Will share a word on the spool tapes, if I come across any.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th June 2013 at 13:03.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 13:15   #26
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So we have a vinyl head too here among the petrol heads! My collection is mainly of hindi movies & some albums ranging since 1960s to some new movie LPs. A few English ones too like Boney M & MJ. The seeds of interest were sown by my father. The collection may be anywhere around 250-300 records including EPs & LPs.
Dad had a nice & well maintained HMV Fiesta bought in 1975, which runs fabulously even now. That's more than 38 years. Later, I acquired some other HMVs & Philips record players.

Though, my primary setup is a direct drive Technics SL-Q33 with Shure M44-7 cart. Have a vintage Pioneer amp SX-434 as the pre-amp.

As of now, I have 5 TTs - 2 HMV (Fiesta & Fiesta Popular), 2 Philips ( 832 & 633) & a Technics SL-Q33.

Will share a word on the spool tapes, if I come across any.

Regards,
Saket
This means that I am an absolute newbie compared to you, have lots to learn from you guruji.

Let me start by asking you a simple question on cleaning, I am still using the cleaning fluids to clean and use the Vinyls. which is proving to be expensive

How do you maintain your collection, Will highly appreciate your inputs.

Oops, did we just hijack this thread?

Regards
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 13:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
This means that I am an absolute newbie compared to you, have lots to learn from you guruji.

Let me start by asking you a simple question on cleaning, I am still using the cleaning fluids to clean and use the Vinyls. which is proving to be expensive

How do you maintain your collection, Will highly appreciate your inputs.

Oops, did we just hijack this thread?

Regards
No no, Shiv, nothing like guruji. Just a hobby. Since, we run the risk of hijacking this thread with OTs, I will limit my answer with a few suggestions.
Cleaning with fluids can surely turn expensive. A simple dilution of Isopropyl with 5 parts of water works well. There is also a fevicol method, apart from washing the vinyls too with MILD detergent. Rubbing a draped cotton cloth made damp with lukewarm water in a circular motion along the groves cleans the records too. Moreover, always store the vinyls vertically and back in their plastic sleeves. Frequent playing, obviously helps as the stylus drags out the dirt from the groves.

Sorry members for going waaayyyy OT.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 16:29   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,709
Thanked: 1,077 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

I'm surprised no other tapeheads have replied. I'm a fan of older music, Jim Reeves, Manhattans, Nat king cole, Mantovani etc
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 16:44   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 2,331 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

My dad has a shelf full of cassettes. I don't remember the exact numbers, but should be over 500. Most of them were TMS, MSV, PBS, Kannadasan collections.
Those are his favorites, and ready to add more to his collections.
Someone from Chennai / Coimbatore interested to giveaway your old tamil collections? I can collect it at your place.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 17:05   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 197
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

The previous organization I worked with used to record interviews on to cassettes(Yes, Still!!) and they were rendered useless after every project. They used to collect all the tapes every month and give it to an orphanage where the kids made some handicrafts and toys out of them. You guys can also find some NGO doing something on similar lines in your city.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cassette players carboy In-Car Entertainment 15 9th November 2007 14:50
Migrating from Cassette to CD abhijit 2284 In-Car Entertainment 6 6th November 2006 18:56
Mp3 Player Or Cassette Player With 12 Cd Changer. zulfikar In-Car Entertainment 6 20th March 2006 14:55
Do people actually buy cassette players anymore? Rtech In-Car Entertainment 39 3rd February 2006 15:28
cassette/worldspace to CD?? amitoj Shifting gears 5 23rd August 2005 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks