Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2006, 21:22   #1
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Default Help! Automobile OR Mechanical Engineering???

Guys,
I need your help.
I wasnt lucky with my design exams so now I want to go for engineering and then design.
I would like to know the difference between "Automobile" and "Mechanical" engineering.
Old 30th May 2006, 01:00   #2
BHPian

SRK, Youre exactly where I was 4 years ago, I'm graduating in June!!(Mechanical Engineering) Had a hell of a time choosing..heres how i decided.

ummmmmmmmm. its like this..syllabus point of view engineeering has 39 subject over 8 semesters (5 every sem for 1st 7 sems then 4 in the 8th plus a project)..

AS of 4 years ago, the only difference between the 2 streams was 3 or 4 subjects..other than that just the name on your degree.

Another thing, there are very few colleges in Mumbai with a good automotive engg. course...infact only one 'A 'grade college "SAboo Siddik " i think.

mechanical Engg. would be a broader field and you can still pursue automotive design after doing it, also if after 4 years you want to start working, you'll be less restricted with a Mech engg. degree .

I dont know whjat the reputation/grading of Sabboo siddik is now, you need to check it out..i think there was one more college that had the course but it was some obscure coll.

SO basically your also restricted because of the choice of colleges offering Automotive engg.....

hope i havent confused you more..you can email me at suhailbajaj@gmail.com if you want more info, but before wednesday, then im going back to pune for my final semester exams!!!!!!!

best of luck,
Suhail..
P.s would you consider studying away from bombay? e.g Pune?
Old 30th May 2006, 09:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its better to do graduation in Mech Engg n then do post. graduation in Automobile engg thats wat i'm hunting for after my Mech engg this June.......
Mech Engg is an open field where u can get jobs in a number of sectors whereas Automobile Engg will fetch u jobs only in that sector....

I know your talent in design jobs....u rokk...!!! i would sugest u this..

graduate in Mech Engg...
post Grad in Computer aided design or any design branch...

gud luck..

KP
Old 30th May 2006, 10:31   #4
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
SRK, Youre exactly where I was 4 years ago, I'm graduating in June!!(Mechanical Engineering) Had a hell of a time choosing..heres how i decided.

ummmmmmmmm. its like this..syllabus point of view engineeering has 39 subject over 8 semesters (5 every sem for 1st 7 sems then 4 in the 8th plus a project)..

AS of 4 years ago, the only difference between the 2 streams was 3 or 4 subjects..other than that just the name on your degree.

Another thing, there are very few colleges in Mumbai with a good automotive engg. course...infact only one 'A 'grade college "SAboo Siddik " i think.

mechanical Engg. would be a broader field and you can still pursue automotive design after doing it, also if after 4 years you want to start working, you'll be less restricted with a Mech engg. degree .

I dont know whjat the reputation/grading of Sabboo siddik is now, you need to check it out..i think there was one more college that had the course but it was some obscure coll.

SO basically your also restricted because of the choice of colleges offering Automotive engg.....

hope i havent confused you more..you can email me at suhailbajaj@gmail.com if you want more info, but before wednesday, then im going back to pune for my final semester exams!!!!!!!

best of luck,
Suhail..
P.s would you consider studying away from bombay? e.g Pune?
Mumbai will be my 1st priority.
You said mechanical engg. is a broader field,but does it teach something for automobile.
I wont be doing a post graduate course,instead I will go for auto design.
Also I dont want to work away from auto sector since thats my dream.
And I dont want to work at some company, I want to open my own Customization Shop.
And Best of Luck for your exams!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Its better to do graduation in Mech Engg n then do post. graduation in Automobile engg thats wat i'm hunting for after my Mech engg this June.......
Mech Engg is an open field where u can get jobs in a number of sectors whereas Automobile Engg will fetch u jobs only in that sector....

I know your talent in design jobs....u rokk...!!! i would sugest u this..

graduate in Mech Engg...
post Grad in Computer aided design or any design branch...

gud luck..

KP
If I wont be doing post graduation in Automobile then is it ok to go in for graduation in automobile engg.
I want to work in auto sector.

Now some more questions:-
What is the difference between Diploma & Degree.
Some say you get less money some say its waste of time.
Whats the exact difference.And is the syllabus same.Do you get the same knowledge???
Also If I work at my own shop then going for a diploma is advisable or not??

Also I dont want to have a degree just for its name.
I want to have knowledge so that I can handle any problem in my way,I dont want to go too deep in theory,but be practical enough to open and again assemble a car.

So what do you guys suggest

Last edited by SRK : 30th May 2006 at 10:36.
Old 30th May 2006, 11:03   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SRK

Firstly, do ascertain that you choose only a degree program over a diploma. It will go a long way, eventually. A degree is always a degree.

Second, the automobile engineering program offered in Mumbai is rubbish. Fellow moderator "Ported_Head" is doing the same course...regretably.

Please PM him to know more about his experience.

GTO
Old 30th May 2006, 14:00   #6
BHPian

SRK, you,ve done your 12th right? then you arent eligible for a diploma in engg..thats for guys to get into right after the 10th..

Heres what I would suggest looking at your replies...

GO ahead with a Mechanical engineering degree form a good college in Mumbai..(I dunno how the new CET admissions work, but you should be able to judge what college you can get into).

Side by side with your curriculum make sure you take courses in as many CAD(computer aided design ) softwares as you can, e.g CATIA, (MErcedes and DC use this for part of their work), PRO -E ( Tata motors uses this) IDeas(again TATA motors uses this)..there are ofcourse several others....
Also keep making your sketches and photoshop renderings..buiold up your portfolio, it'll really help when your looking for your design course after engg...(UK has some great universities for this specific course..automotive design)

To get a job in the automotive sector, YES a degree in auto. engg would have been a better bet, but the fact is that theres no good college/courses in bombay, so stick with a mechanical degree....Company HR departments and recruiters know what the scene is, so they DO recruit Mechanical engineers. (Infact Ma&M and Tata recruit from my college)
Anyway, the Indian automotive sector is booming...so you've got a bright future ahead of you!

After your Undergrad in engg, your best bet would be a Post grad in automotive design..as of now, there are very few (if any) such course in Indioa, but as i said befor, UK has some great options...go to THe british council library and check them out...

As far as gaining practical knowledge about cars is concerned, The best thing to do is visit your local garage and make friends witht he mechanics there!!!! No better way to get hands on experience..

Hope this answered most of your questions...

Best of luck,
Suhail
Old 30th May 2006, 16:38   #7
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO,Suhail!
Ok I'll go for mechanical engg. but if I get some good college in automobile I'll go there.
I will also try to gain some training in CAD programs.
And yes will try and hang around some local mechanics!!

And then you may see "SRK Designs" shop somewhere in or near Mumbai!!! hehehehe...
Old 30th May 2006, 16:44   #8
BHPian

Good decision!!
ANd ofcourse you'll remember all the advice you got here and give us BIG discounts when we come to "SRK designs" .

suhail
Old 30th May 2006, 18:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey dude..there is a coll in automobile engineering in mumbai affiliated to mumbai university.Its saboo siddhik in byculla.Gonna take addmission into 2nd year automobile engineering in that coll this year as i have completed my diploma in automobile engineering already and got 67% in my final year
Old 2nd June 2006, 20:52   #10
BHPian

Hi,

You can go for Automobile bcoz it has got great future.. You can learn Autocad & other design stuff software. It pays a salary like anything. Really a bright future.
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey forgot to mention i have also done a course in CATIA through cad center.Although they teach u the basic stuff and how to use the tools.It is when u are recruited to the company the company teaches u the other professional part according to their requirments.But u definately need to know the basic part to understand the later.
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh for the love of god, if you can avoid, do not pick engineering under Mumbai University. I am repenting again for the gazillionth time, as I may well be off for another year.

It is absolute rubbish, Automobile Engineering as well as Mechanical Engineering. They are essentially the same courses except for a few subjects which are different from the 6th Semester onwards. All the other papers you give have exactly the same question paper as Mech Engg. course. For every Auto specific subject you will have to rely on the college faculty, and that is not a pretty site. Textbooks are at a bare minimum. Do no let people fool you into believing that you can always do extra curricular courses on the side, such as CAD programs. You will not get any time, because you will be too busy filling up pages after pages with worthless crap you will never use in your life, and the same time you will feel guilty about how many trees were felled so that you could fill up your assignments file. What does help, is not taught, simply because, A) they don't give a damn, B) the prof doesn't know how to teach. Though Auto Engg. does look promising on paper, with subjects like vehicle design and CAD/CAM as well as Advanced FEA, they were designed primarily for 2 reasons: 1) to look good on paper 2) to get you more KTs, so that you can add to the Mumbai University exchequer by way of KT forms, which costs Rs. 435.

There are professors who sit in class for certain subjects while students conduct the lecture, since they have already carried out the course elsewhere, while the prof sits and takes notes. The course will take every bit of passion that you have in you, and turn you into a mechanical photosopying machine, you will be taught to learn by rote and preach the syllabus forever, so that you maybe ruled by those who chose to experiment.

Dude, I have seen your work, and you are passionate and very enthusiastic, and darn good too. The course will ruin you. Instead if you can, I suggest doing what salil_kulkarni is doing, he is studying at some design institute in Italy which focuses on Automotive design, and is associated with some of the top names in Italian automotive industry, and I dont think I need to name which those are. He is also having a ball, while hitting on Italian chicks, ohhh those long legs!! It may put you off a little, since I think it's a little expensive, but it's worth every bit I feel. As much as I'm for Secondary and Higher secondary education in India, undergraduate courses are something I absolutely despise, especially Engineering courses.

On the other hand, when I see ITI guys in a short term course slogging it out with engines and getting dirty, it seems like a whole lot of fun. It doesnt hold a snob value, and is looked down upon by many, but it looks fun, and they sure as hell are learning more than I am in college. If you want, I can get you to meet the guy who runs the workshop there, somebody called Mr. Sam Godha. I respect him a lot, and is a wonderful gentleman, and sort of an idol since he's said, "Exams are for people who don't want to learn."

You can get in touch with me should you need anymore help. You should also get in touch with salil_kulkarni, and get an insight on the course he is doing.
Old 2nd June 2006, 22:07   #13
BHPian

Amen to that!!!!! Last 3 papers of my engineering course to go!!!! as of next friday I give my last technical paper in this country at least!!!!!!!!!

BTW< I'm in Pune university..........so its not just us who feel like this.

P.S: SRK, be warned , engineering makes you looney!!! During exam time its best to stay away from near and dear ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by swale84 : 2nd June 2006 at 22:09.
Old 2nd June 2006, 22:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

You lucky dawg! That's where I would have been had I not gotten a drop and had I not been on my way to another one. Engineering sucks. Dude, how do you get over the senseless learning by rote? I just can't get through pages and pages of derivations. And a million formulae per subject? It's driving me crazy. My friends tell me I need an attitude overhaul.
Old 2nd June 2006, 23:01   #15
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ported every bit! An ex-mumbai univ engg student, I gave it up for my own good. The pain & suffering is just not worth it. Most of the engineers coming out of the colleges have no clue what they did in the 4yrs of the course other than just copying assignments from a master copy & getting KTs & this is by no means exaggeration!

I see that you're really into design & if you can afford it, I think you should try for Coventry Univ. in England for Transportation design or Like Rehaan (Moderator) get into Rhode Island School of Design (which is a little expensive). Alternatively the Univ. where Salil_kulkarni is studying is not as expensive the ones in US. & boss don't be under the impression that since you like designing cars, you might like to know how they work..believe me, the subjects are cruel! I'm a mechanical engg student myself & the subjects don't sound like fun at all...thermodynamics( its diff from waht you did in 12th Chemistry) Strength of materials( oh god, this one takes teh cake!) etc are just too hot to handle!

So beware & know clearly what you want to do, its better to get into college a year later trying to figure out what you want to do than get into something and keep on failing in it.

Good luck to you.
Closed Thread