Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th May 2006, 21:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

How can all four locks get jammed and couldnt be manually opened without the aid of the central locking device??? The whole thing sounds damn fishy!!! As long as there wasnt an explosion that would immobilise the passengers I dont think there wouldnt be enough time for an escape. In case of gas cylinder or lpg cylinder blast theres nothing much one can do but Its just too hard to believe that the doors refused to open even manually...electronic and mechanical failure together??? hmmm...I can spend my whole day pondering!!!
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 23:34   #17
BHPian

Exclamation NHC Burn Out..!

Yesterday a NHC, caught Fire killing two passengers in the blaze. Apprantly the car belong to a HOD in Maulana Azad Medical College, who said that yesterday around 8 PM-His driver informed him that one of the Tyres was punctured..later this happened..Surprising thing is that the Car was New and There is a Female Body also found in the car, Looks like the Driver had a Unknown passenger also on the Death Ride...!
The cause of Death is Only because that the Central Locking-AutoCop did not work after the car caught fire ( For reason Yet Unexplained) and had the door's jammed. Poor Guys could not escape.
It's to be noted that This is a third of its kind Freak Accident invloving AUTO-COP security in Cars..!

1) Mumbai Floods claimed a couple of Car drivers and passenger who could'nt unlock doors after the Central Lock System Failed.

2) Fiat Palio was involved in a Flyover accident in Delhi which had a similar condition of the Central locking system getting jammed and passenger could'nt make it out

3) Now this NHC incident on Oberoi Flyover,Near Nizamuddin.

Their was a discussion regarding this accident on the IBN-Time Now channel at 8:30 PM...Discussion was Safety Traps !

http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmor...dards&id=88540

Ps- Here is another Tip- Delhi Police is going to increase the rate of "Tinted Glass Fine" from Rs.100 to Rs.1000 ( For First Offence) and Rs.2000 For Second and 3 Months Imprsionment on Third Offence. Apprantly this is to deter people who have shiny or black tints in their cars as it has been noticed that some these cars have been involved in Crime against women and anti-social activites. Hope that all Team-BHP users, choose responsibile Tints for their cars to prevent any violation. Sourced- Hindustan Times ( Delhi Edition)-30 May 2006

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Threads Merged. Continue discussion here.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st May 2006 at 00:40.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

did it have any gas fittings ???????if one doesnt panic and if you have the time ...you can always escape through the boot in most of the newer cars
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:28   #19
BANNED

Hey, This mornings paper had a report of another fire in a car and this time it was a Ford Ikon but the guy got out in time so no injuries . Dunno what seems to be happening to cars in Delhi ... and why only Delhi ???

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:29   #20
Team-BHP Support

Even with an autocop, you can always open the door lock, it is mechanically linked to the locks.

Note, occupants burned to death, no suffocated and there is no evidence of a cylinder exploding - rear is intact.

Cue CSI New Delhi
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:33   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Even with an autocop, you can always open the door lock, it is mechanically linked to the locks.

Note, occupants burned to death, no suffocated and there is no evidence of a cylinder exploding - rear is intact.

Cue CSI New Delhi
Hey, Honda Motors has ordered an enquiry into the incident but what the papers say is that there was a short circuit somewhere in the engine bay which made the fire spread to the fuel lines and the tank is under the drivers seat which finally lead to the inferno !!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:41   #22
BHPian

the most freaky thing about this accident is the car was on the Wrong side of the road ,wrong side is not the catch .....BUT WRONG SIDE ON A FLYOVER...... ....holy cow.....now surely its some thing fishy...beside the reason for the fire has been attributed to a short circuit
speedofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:43   #23
BHPian

I have seen a Fiat Palio with its engine bay under fire right in front of my eyes. It was in a residential street and there were people trying to douse the flames with water. The thought that anything could happen at that moment was really alarming!

The next day I saw it at the locality police station the front completely charred! The good part is that, nobody got hurt.

EAT THIS! A friend told me that a S-Class also caught fire a few months back in Madras. I cant confirm it though.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 12:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe NHC comes with central locking so in case of Auto cop only driver's side lock is operated by the auto cop & the rest would be company fitting.. so they could still have opened the passenger door right ??

Also did the windows failed too?? I mean couldnt they get out by rolling down the windows ??

May be there wasn't enough time but then this all sounds very fishy
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 12:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have personally experienced one such incident first hand.... I was abroad on a freeway... doing about 180kmph in a Hyundai Sonata - Circa 1992 - when suddenly eveyone kinda dropped back and started honking and flashing their lights etc.... I thought I must have skipped a speed check point ior something and looked at the rear vew mirrors.. saw some smoke.... but the car was drinking oil so I attributed that to it... but then I noticed huge oil tanker trucks pulling up sharply and giving me a wide wide berth (six lanes either way) ... I took my feet off the accelerator.. kinda started slowing down... then a taxi drew up alongside... the driver kept shouting something in Arabic... I could not understand... then the rear window drops.. the lady sitting there tears her veil off and sreams loundly geticulating to the rear of the car... THIS I knew meant SERIOUS TROUBLE.. By then I had slowed enough - and this time when I looked at the rear view mirror all I could see was smoke... I drove till I found an exit ramp and stopped the car halfway down it (to keep the freeway clear..) .. me and my collegue goit out of the car... and RAN... and WHUMMMp!! the damn thing exploded!! ... It burned so fiercly that the steering wheel was reduced to a small blob of molten metal!!

Sheer Providence... I always say my prayers!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 13:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

just had a fire in my 800 a month back.The wires passing below the drivers seat short circuited because of the rats eating the wires.This happened when the car was parked in the night.In the morning when the gaddi dhone wala opens the car and to his surprise there was no drivers seat.It was reduced to springs and steel.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 14:06   #27
kdb
BHPian

Guys Check out this link!!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1598366.cms

NHC has fuel tank below driver seat!!
kdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 14:41   #28
BANNED

kdb
Dunno abt Nhc but Nhc zx has fuel tank below rear seat in center as far i'm know .
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 14:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb
Guys Check out this link!!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1598366.cms

NHC has fuel tank below driver seat!!

yeah its because of this that the NHC has more legroom in the rear ....also the COG is lower
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 22:18   #30
BHPian

NHC is a fine car but they again compromise on safety. Events such as these alert us. Too much of electronics and gadgetry is also a problem sometimes. You pay 8.5 lacs and 1.5 lacs interest and see what you get.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote