Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 16:12   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yeah, sure. Let the law takes its own course. And before you know it, these guys will be out and will be more boldened. And will take their sport to next level.

I think you have never seen an assembly of rogues indulging in loot and arson. Burning buses, damaging public property, doing rasta rokos, attacking vehicles, teasing girls etc. Else, you would not be saying this.

If somebody has to fire a gun, I would much prefer a policeman firing than a criminal firing. Since, policemen are reduced to paper tigers, thanks to liberal wimps, criminals are at large in this country. Someday when you have a brush with these people, you would be speaking in a different tone. Until then, you can keep feeling sorry for every crook.
Let's not get personal here. How old are you to be lecturing bro? I'm 42, and have grown up in Bihar in the 70s and 80s, when Bihar (Jamshedpur and other neighboring areas) was burning with Hindu Muslim riots for months with the Army on the streets, and schools closed for weeks. I have come home from school in a rickshaw ridden by my Muslim rickshaw walla while Hindu mods were butchering Muslims in Dhatkidih a stones throw from my house, and Muslim mobs were burning entire mohallas in Sonari close to my school. A little less of the condescending attitude here please ...... not everyone is a kid you can talk down to.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th July 2013 at 16:13.
ebonho is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:19   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
So, what hunt them and shoot them??

This is what you say. All they did was they violated the traffic laws. Police did have alot of other options, firing is not the way out here.
You're lying. They did not just violate traffic laws, they assaulted the cops. Stonepelting the cops was not a traffic violation, last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Millions of parents go to sleep and find out that their kids have slunk out to have a good time. They are kids.

Should it then be de rigeur in our country to expect the kids to be shot dead by the police while we sleep. Is this Karachi, Pakistan?

So? The solution is to use lethal force? Lets call a spade a spade man. Delhi police is by far the MOST corrupt, uncouth, incompetent, and violence-happy force in the country.
On what basis are you labelling the Delhi police as Most corrupt, uncouth, incompetent and violence happy? If you have any evidence to substantiate these claims, please approach the same judiciary that you have so much faith in. I'm sure they will give you the much needed relief.

Fact is that the guys were indulging in criminal acts and got their just desserts. The Delhi police acted absolutely appropriately in this particular case. They should not be penalized for doing their duty.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:24   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Whatever has happened, has happened and sad to hear about it. Sad to hear that those teenagers drunk and drove their motorcycles. Sad to hear that a young teenager lost his life for nothing! Hope this serves as a lesson for all those who misuse public roads for doing daredevil stuff.
joe1980 is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:27   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,907
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Let's not get personal here. How old are you to be lecturing bro? I'm 42, and have grown up in Bihar in the 70s and 80s, when Bihar (Jamshedpur and other neighboring areas) was burning with Hindu Muslim riots for months with the Army on the streets, and schools closed for weeks. I have come home from school in a rickshaw ridden by my Muslim rickshaw walla while Hindu mods were butchering Muslims in Dhatkidih a stones throw from my house, and Muslim mobs were burning entire mohallas in Sonari close to my school. A little less of the condescending attitude here please ...... not everyone is a kid you can talk down to.
I am not lecturing you bro. Nor am I talking you down. My viewpoint is opposite of yours. Read my post again. Where did I sound like lecturing you? All I said was, may be you haven't faced a hooligan mob. I was wrong. You HAVE seen a hooligan mob up close. Now, you should hate them all the more. Should you or should you not?
pgsagar is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:27   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A city gets the police they deserve. The police of a city mirror the attitude of its citizenry.
Really? Could you elaborate a bit & help me understand this please? This does look like an illogical & insensitive statement to me but I just wanted to make sure I understood the underlying logic before coming to a conclusion
suman is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:28   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

The job of the police is to maintain the law and catch criminals and those who break the law.

Not be judge, jury and executioner and shoot them dead.

Just because its late at night (maybe the police like the scared citizens should stay indoor at night?) or the fact that they are too lazy and incompetent and slow to catch them or the fact that the judicial system is geared in such a way that they can and will probably walk free later DOES NOT give the police the right to resort to lethal force.

Where does it stop?

Tomorrow you cut a signal and run. Shoot to kill.

Day after lovers making out in a park. Encounter.

The day after that brawl in a pub. Bring the pub down.

Those who are condoning this action, are condoning jungle raj by those with guns.

Today the police have guns. If this continues, tomorrow more of the citizenry will have guns.

Result. Karachi. Peshawar. Cairo. Syria. Los Angeles. Rio.

Way to go guys!

Last edited by ebonho : 29th July 2013 at 16:32.
ebonho is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:38   #112
BHPian
 
DRIVE_ADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 405
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

I might sound rude, but i accept the police action in this incident. This is how they can get things under control when a group of ~50 drunken goons went out of control and that too in a sensitive zone in national capital.

These hooligans have no mind of their own and influnced by alcohol, it is evident from the way they behave. In the sensitive parliament streets, they were doing bike stunts, Ignoring police warnings, and pelting stones at police, what you expect the police to do.. beg them to stop? The gang could have end up killing some innocent lives on the streets.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:42   #113
BHPian
 
sinharishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indirapuram,GZB
Posts: 344
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

On what basis are you labelling the Delhi police as Most corrupt

Delhi Police is the most corrupt according to a report prepared by National Crime Records Bureau.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...nquiries-cases
sinharishi is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:45   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 417 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

May be you like sensationalising things. It was not exactly a case of hunting and shooting. Police aimed for the tyre and the boy died. You know what. I am not happy with this news. I would have been happier if the police had aimed straight for the boy. So, yes, I would say hunt them down and shoot them.
I am seriously surprised by your reply. Anyways, you keep your own views, I keep mine.

I pray the cop who did this do face some serious charges. And am equally surprised that people here are supporting this. I am out of this discussion now.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 29th July 2013 at 16:56.
sameerg001 is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:47   #115
BHPian
 
avingodb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi/Mumbai
Posts: 441
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

I would defend the police action, although from a different perspective. This could have been easily sorted if the city police had rubber bullet, pepper spray or electric shock devices, which are generally called non-lethal policing equipment.
Based on their current training and equipment levels, I don't think the police in such scenario had any other options.

Again, justification of non-lethal equipment is also not easy; imagine such things being used during the December 2012 protests and it would have snowballed into something worse. Therefore, equipping the police better and helping them in decision-making is the only way out. Such incidents are not going to stop because of one deterrent action.
avingodb is online now  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:47   #116
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

I have not gone through the entire thread but it seems that the police patrol was not prepared for a retaliation from the biker group. They could have called for backup, noted the bike numbers and sent notices to the parents, kept an eye on them till reinforcements arrived. I am no authority on such matters but i am sure there must be a standard operating procedure for cops when they are outnumbered.

There are also probably clear rules when a cop can fire his gun. The fact that the victim got shot in the back seems to indicate that those rules were broken (seems to only) This seems like firing at someone who is running away.

Apart from all that, if a cop is such a horrible shooter that he hit the pillion rider's back instead of the tyre, then either he is an extremely lousy shot who does not deserve to hold a gun or he was in no state to take aim before shooting (cops are not exactly teetotallers either)

Losing your life seems to be a high price to pay for the arrogance of youth.
amitoj is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:49   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

@ebonho,

No matter where you are, if it's pub, road, park or any other public place, if you attack police, police is entitled to use force by law. How much to use is left at their judgement of the situation and people can disagree/debate on it. Eventually, it's the cops who bear the brunt on ground and not armchair intellectuals. I am not a fan of 'encounter specialist' and 'trigger happy' cops, but if they have reason to use force, they will do it. Sitting here, it's impossible to claim that assessment of the police officer was entirely wrong. (BTW, one of my close friends, who also happens to be a high ranked police officer, mentioned that more police personnel get killed while doing their duty every year than the army.)
RX135 is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:50   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Really? Could you elaborate a bit & help me understand this please? This does look like an illogical & insensitive statement to me but I just wanted to make sure I understood the underlying logic before coming to a conclusion
What's there to corroborate or elaborate bro? It's been said in plain English. And its a globally accepted phenomenon.

Cities get the police they deserve.
ebonho is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:51   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Delhi Police is the most corrupt according to a report prepared by National Crime Records Bureau.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...nquiries-cases
The headline is misleading. The actual report states "Out of 61,765 complaints filed against cops across India, 22% (12,805 cases) were registered in Delhi, a report prepared by the National Crime Records Bureau said.
However, only 47 out of the 61,765 complaints registered across the country ended in convictions."

So, not all the 12805 complaints were genuine or proven. However, I appreciate that you have atleast responded with some data.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 29th July 2013, 16:54   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The job of the police is to maintain the law and catch criminals and those who break the law.

Not be judge, jury and executioner and shoot them dead.

Just because its late at night (maybe the police like the scared citizens should stay indoor at night?) or the fact that they are too lazy and incompetent and slow to catch them or the fact that the judicial system is geared in such a way that they can and will probably walk free later DOES NOT give the police the right to resort to lethal force.

Where does it stop?

Tomorrow you cut a signal and run. Shoot to kill.

Day after lovers making out in a park. Encounter.

The day after that brawl in a pub. Bring the pub down.

Those who are condoning this action, are condoning jungle raj by those with guns.

Today the police have guns. If this continues, tomorrow more of the citizenry will have guns.

Result. Karachi. Peshawar. Cairo. Syria. Los Angeles. Rio.

Way to go guys!
What are you smoking? Are you saying that these chaps only broke a signal and got shot? Can I have a puff too, maybe then I'll see your point of view.
Lalvaz is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road rage : Had an altercation with political goons who threatened me StrangeWizard Street Experiences 57 11th May 2016 15:34
Owner asks for Mercedes after parked Nano catches fire. EDIT : One more on page 5! lambuhere1 Street Experiences 87 28th February 2013 18:08
Morris Street : A Customised Street Rod, made in Delhi GTO The Indian Car Scene 26 22nd July 2012 18:46
Moto Unit-The Stunt Factory (New Stunt Team from Delhi) BANDHAV Motorbikes 12 29th March 2010 13:16
Palio catches fire after collision with truck, 3 dead tsk1979 The Indian Car Scene 41 15th February 2006 20:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks