Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 29th July 2013, 16:58   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

We are going around in circles. To those using self defense as a crutch to argue for the right of the police to use lethal force, please appreciate the kid was shot in the back. Unless he was lobbing stones backwards, it was clear the kids were fleeing.

So the SOP per Delhi Police seems to be - if you cant catch them, shoot them.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:01   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

It is extremely unfortunate that a life was lost. Having said that, my sympathies in this case lie with the cops. The bikers had it coming. They shouldn't have resisted the cops or pelted them with stones.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:03   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What's there to corroborate or elaborate bro? It's been said in plain English. And its a globally accepted phenomenon.

Cities get the police they deserve.
I was referring to the latter part of your earlier post that I have highlighted below, for your benefit -
Quote:
A city gets the police they deserve. The police of a city mirror the attitude of its citizenry.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I was referring to the latter part of your earlier post that I have highlighted below, for your benefit -
Again, pretty straightforward English.

You find something that does not ring true about it vis a vis Delhi police and the Delhi populace?
Old 29th July 2013, 17:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are going around in circles. To those using self defense as a crutch to argue for the right of the police to use lethal force, please appreciate the kid was shot in the back. Unless he was lobbing stones backwards, it was clear the kids were fleeing.

So the SOP per Delhi Police seems to be - if you cant catch them, shoot them.
Kasab and the other terrorist were also fleeing in the SKoda, maybe the Mumbai police should have let them go too.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:20   #126
BHPian

19yr old man shot dead" should be the sentence.we shouldn't call 19yr old "a boy,but a man. We are getting our voting rights n driving license @18yrs.
In today's daily it is clearly mentioned that police fired twice to air but they didn't listen n continued
pelting stones then police decided for the extreme step,to avoid a security breach in the Vvip area.The guy who died was a pillion rider on a wheeling bike so the bullet ,which was aimed
@back wheel obviously will hit him-this point too was there in the daily.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I resisted myself a lot before posting in this thread. But after going through all the responses in this thread, I feel we are getting too much judgemental over a media reports which most of the times do not present real & actual sequence of events.

I mean none of us know what promted the police to fine gunshots. The reports in media are just versions of police spokesperson who will surely defend the action taken on the ground. In coming days we may also see a beautiful 20 something news reporter speaking to one of the bikers & asking "kaisa laga aapko jab aapne bandook ki firing suni..." & the biker will reply as if he is the most innocent person in the world.

Neither I am trying to justify the police action nor I express sympathy for the dead, only thing I am trying to bring out that the situation that promted the police to take such a drastic step is unknown to us.

I understand - death of any human being, especially of a young life is tragic, but the situation may be such that police had no other options.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 29th July 2013 at 17:28. Reason: info added
Old 29th July 2013, 17:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
19yr old man shot dead" should be the sentence.we shouldn't call 19yr old "a boy,but a man. We are getting our voting rights n driving license @18yrs.
In today's daily it is clearly mentioned that police fired twice to air but they didn't listen n continued
pelting stones then police decided for the extreme step,to avoid a security breach in the Vvip area.The guy who died was a pillion rider on a wheeling bike so the bullet ,which was aimed
@back wheel obviously will hit him-this point too was there in the daily.
I wonder if you guys watch a very nice program on Discovery called "Top Sniper."

These are the best of the best. With the best sniper rifles with all types of gadgetry and scopes and spotters and stabilization platforms and equipment, not to mention high caliber high speed rounds.

And shooting at a moving target (from various platforms) is always one of the most challenging situations. With accuracy rates of 0-3 hits (ironically wrt the topic being discussed -"kills" in their parlance) for every 10 rounds fired.

These are the world's best of the best military and SWAT and anti-terrorist snipers. From most countries. The ELITE. The creme de la creme.

You are expecting me to believe that a thulla in Delhi with his service revolver at 2 a.m. was actually aiming to hit the back tyre of a crazily riding high speed wheeling bike?

Lets get real guys ....... this is not Chulbul Pandey taking out the bad guys here.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th July 2013 at 17:30.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:50   #129
BHPian

If it was a sniper then even the 3" gap is enough to puncture the wheeling back wheel but there the sub inspector had only his service revolver so chances were large to miss the tire n hit the pillion.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
If it was a sniper then even the 3" gap is enough to puncture the wheeling back wheel but there the sub inspector had only his service revolver so chances were large to miss the tire n hit the pillion.
YES! NOW we are getting somewhere!

So isn't the next question obvious? WHY did the inspector fire?

Bad judgment? Criminal negligence?

Or was he actually aiming for the bigger target?

I am pretty clear it was the latter. "Official" road rage. With a licensed gun given by the government. How convenient can it get!

Last edited by ebonho : 29th July 2013 at 17:56.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:00   #131

Taking out and discharging a firearm is unjustified except when there is imminent danger to life and limb. Unfortunately, we see so much movies and American police based reality shows, that we think that it is second nature for a policeman to pull out a weapon. It isn't and shouldn't be. De-escalation is the first thing that every policeman is taught to do in a mob-like scenario. That is not what happened here and was the first failure of the police.

The frustrated, impotent, victimized, tax-paying citizen inside us, gloats at the fact that a "perpetrator" lost his life. But do we know who this person was? Replace the pillion rider with an innocent bystander - Now would you accept the policeman's mistake? Replace him with a child - Now? Replace him with YOUR child - Now? Frankly, this too was a failure of the police and nothing else. When you know that you are outnumbered, why clash directly? Why not photograph the bikers and go meticulously after them, one by one?

This evil of drag racing should have been nipped in the bud, years ago, when there was only a handful of them. Now they are a mob who think like a mob and do not fear the consequences. It is not direct hostile action, but some smart detective work that can stop them. Go after just a couple of them with solid evidence and you will have the rest squirming in their seats.

At the end of the day, it is not the law but its imposition that determines the discipline of society. This is why a European will stop at the red light even at 3 am in a sleepy town in the middle of rural Germany, while an Indian will barrel through at 8 am in Mumbai - (Doosra side khaali hai, koi nahin dekh raha hai!)
Old 29th July 2013, 18:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YES! NOW we are getting somewhere!

So isn't the next question obvious? WHY did the inspector fire?

Bad judgment? Criminal negligence?

Or was he actually aiming for the bigger target?

I am pretty clear it was the latter. "Official" road rage. With a licensed gun given by the government. How convenient can it get!
You have already pronounced the verdict of "Manslaughter" earlier. Is the charge now changed to Criminal negligence? Tell, please tell, what are you smoking?

For the record, in 2012, 1769 police personnel were injured by rioting mobs and 13 were killed. Thank god they fired, else the count would have gone up.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:12   #133
BHPian

It is ridiculous that on a board that takes pride in its rule stating that it doesn't endorse drunken driving and street racing,we are into the 8th page discussing an incident which exactly is just that - drunken driving and street racing.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:15   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
It is ridiculous that on a board that takes pride in its rule stating that it doesn't endorse drunken driving and street racing,we are into the 8th page discussing an incident which exactly is just that - drunken driving and street racing.
Interesting.

So does the board endorse summarily shooting down those that do not abide by this?

Last edited by ebonho : 29th July 2013 at 18:18.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:19   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Of course I do. A city gets the police it deserves. It is equally true that the police of a city by and large reflect the attitdue of its citizenry.
What country do you live in, Norway? I see Pune and I see a thread with goons attacking an innocent driver. Click new posts to view. As far as stereotypes go I can pelt 15 back at you but that's not what the thread is all about. You're crossing a line buddy let's just be a little dignified, yes?
Closed Thread