Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th September 2004, 14:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fellas,

Read this awesome article on bombay. everything written here holds true.

A lot of people are writing about what they do not like about Mumbai.

A lot of people are writing about what they do not like about Mumbai. I will give you my list.

I do not like the hawkers on Dadabhoy Naoroji Road. They have ruined the premier road in the city and its heritage buildings. They have turned it into bazar for shoddy and often fake goods.

And what applies to Dadabhoy Naoroji Road, applies to the road leading from Churchgate to Flora Fountain. More than the beggars, it is the hawkers who should be removed from the city.

I do not like policemen standing with long ropes, stopping people from crossing the roads. Such action turns pedestrians into cattle, it is demeaning to the citizens.

I do not like the damaged Marine Drive with the embankment breached and broken and large gaping holes in the pavement.

And I do not like the government's refusal to take the assistance of private parties to beautify the place.

I do not like the walls being plastered with posters and slogans, whether of political parties or individuals selling their goods or coaching classes.

I do not like the Gateway of India being enclosed and protected from the public. It should be kept open for people to pass through, sit under its splendid ceilings, and generally enjoy the place.

I do not like the auto-rickshaws in the suburbs. Auto-rickshaws are meant for provincial towns, not for large cities. They devalue Mumbai.

I don't like the slums and I don't like the ugly buildings that are being constructed to rehouse the slum-dwellers. The government cannot bar people from migrating to the city and working here, but it could make a rule that nobody is allowed to live in the city unless he has proper accommodation first.

I don't like the Sahar airport. And I like even less the approach from the airport into the city. An airport is the first impression that a city makes on an outsider and it is making the worst possible impression.

I don't like the use of Shivaji Park for public meetings. It should be allowed to green and used exclusively for cricket.

I don't like the frequent changing of names of roads and streets, and I don't like the kind of names that are being used. One rule that could be made is that no streets or parks should be named after people. There are other ways of honouring people.

I don't like Fashion Street. The stalls are badly erected and kept, they crowd one of the best roads in the city, passing between two large maidans, they block the pavement and the view of the Cross Maidan.

I don't like the tall hedges that divide the road on Marine Drive. They should be lower and they should be exclusively flower-beds.

I don't like the name Mumbai, I prefer Bombay.

Busybee columns are the best maan..staright from the heart.

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 14:47   #2
BHPian

But then, much of it applies to every city in India...

mvk
GreenHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 17:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey NC,

I too love reading the "bee". His unique writing style is a pleasure to read.

All his suggestions in this column are true, but will never be implemented by our spineless politicians.

We are destined to be turned into one giant slum. The next Shanghai?? Well, it sure ain't gonna be in India.

Rt
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 18:36   #4
BHPian

Man U are so right man when I fly back and when we are about to land we know we are in mumbai before even landing we can get the stink in the plain and this is a fact ask any one who flys man I guess its because of the hut settlement next to the airport correct me if im wrong but I have experinced it many a times and it is very sad because people coming to India for the first time get a real bad image of India they should do some thing about it:(
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 22:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

This article just shows the similarity in the thoughts of most of us. Everything in it holds true. Good article!
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 23:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infact,my gf who flew down with me last time,asked me that,"are we gonna crash into the slums"??
And the airport is also so small.At times the Immigration queues even come up till the escalator.The airport authorities have to switch off the escalator for people to stand.
How ridiculous??
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 14:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

but guys ,

this article was written in 1978 and most of it is true today tooo.

this shows how much we have progressed in 26 years !!!!!!

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote