Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th August 2013, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mini Cooper S Countryman (Scale Model) :: Build-off

Really nice work. Shows your passion.

Do we get scale models to build it on our own anywhere in India?

If yes, let me know please.

How much did you get this for?
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 13:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Mini Cooper S Countryman (Scale Model) :: Build-off

Wow. Very nice D-I-Y. I am always fascinated by the scale models and to-do kits. A good effort at building a car. As gauravdgr8 has said, can you share the details of this kit ? The acrylic box is a good idea to protect it from the elements, but somehow I feel that keeping the car in the open is much better !
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 15:55   #18
BHPian

This is by far the best DIY that i have seen. Simply great work.
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Great job, The final outcome is lovely.
I would advise you one point though. The jugaad for raising the car can be made at an angle and a mirror on the opposite would complement the bottom of the car. This way the car can be enjoyed from all the directions.
Yes, that would have been the ideal thing. The idea did indeed cross my mind. I am looking for a small mirror piece here. The supports are removable. I was planning to put it up like the minis were displayed at Auto Expo 2012 at about 40deg angle. Also have a limitation with the box height and to avoid the antenna hitting the roof. Still thinking on how to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
...Do we get scale models to build it on our own anywhere in India?
If yes, let me know please.
How much did you get this for?
I need to check. Maybe other members can also help. I am currently in Japan and here there are loads of such kits.
This kit box costs about 3000¥ (roughly Rs. 1800) It has only plastic moulded parts and decals. Paints, glue, cutters tweezers are all additional. They come up to as much as the cost of the kit itself.

Last edited by karpusv : 19th August 2013 at 16:10. Reason: Changed quote to multi-quote
karpusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:44   #20
BHPian

Not bad at all for a first timer, heck , even i wouldn't have had the patience to complete it :P , I remember watching this Ferrari model build off, i got really impressed, i couldn't find any related posts on team bhp until i saw yours! Absolutely Wonderful.

Here's the link i was talking about.

Must be quite tedious and expensive considering the dash lights up!
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 17:25   #21
BHPian

The build has come just fabulous and fantastic.

The other thing which I have noticed is that you have amazing patience. That is a rare commodity nowadays.

Any idea where we can find such sets in India?
vasanthjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 17:49   #22
BHPian

Nice job! Is this your first attempt at modeling? Kinda reminds me of the aeromodeling I did as a cadet in Air Wing NCC. We had two 'streams' - static model building and flying (Cant remember what it was called). Static modeling was very similar to this - but models were always scale models of aircraft and the material was always balsa wood. If you were skilled enough with the right tools, you could produce any shape just cutting and sanding. The first static model I built was an F16 fighter - rated 6/10 by the instructor. Moved to building flying models very soon - remember the tremendous joy just watching the flaps, elevator and rudder working though the remote controled servos. And then you could fuel and fly them too - tiny 3 - 4 cc engines that you could start by flicking. Ah, those were the days...
isiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 20:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
...remember the tremendous joy just watching the flaps, elevator and rudder working though the remote controled servos. And then you could fuel and fly them too - tiny 3 - 4 cc engines that you could start by flicking. Ah, those were the days...
I've been wanting to make one such for a log long time. Can you give me some pointers on how to proceed about it?
Old 19th August 2013, 21:36   #24
BHPian

Very well done mate, this is one heck of a hobbie and the outcome is very good to say the least.
Atleast as a starting point I really liked the outcome and also its quiet hard to work on such small elements of the model, the size is too small and then working on details at such level can become very hard.
Wish we could lay our hands on such kits in India.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:04   #25
BHPian

Karpusv,
Congratulations on a Great Job done!
It has come out really nice
srikrishna717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 21:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
I've been wanting to make one such for a log long time. Can you give me some pointers on how to proceed about it?
Hope I do not take this too much OT:

Kits are available for building aeromodels very similar to your Cooper kit. There used to be a brand called 'Aurora', mostly balsa wood. I believe there are plastic/fibre kits available now. In addition to the basic model kit you need an engine, propellers, RC kit and fuel. Aeromodeling stuff is freely available in bangalore (cant recall exactly where) and I dont think you'd have much trouble locating the stores.

I dont want to sound discouraging, but probably one of the things to get comfortable with before embarking on aeromodeling is that it's a crazy rich mans' hobby. I've not been in touch with the prices - this data is almost 10yrs old. A typical 3.5 cc OS Max glow plug engine used to cost in excess of 8K and the glow plugs themselves costed about 300 bucks each. The fuel (methanol) was about 90 a litre. The basic RC kit with two servos used to cost about 15K. Four servos used to cost even more.

Good luck!!
isiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 07:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Hope I do not take this too much OT:

Kits are available for building aeromodels very similar to your Cooper kit. There used to be a brand called 'Aurora', mostly balsa wood. I believe there are plastic/fibre kits available now. In addition to the basic model kit you need an engine, propellers, RC kit and fuel. Aeromodeling stuff is freely available in bangalore (cant recall exactly where) and I dont think you'd have much trouble locating the stores.

I dont want to sound discouraging, but probably one of the things to get comfortable with before embarking on aeromodeling is that it's a crazy rich mans' hobby. I've not been in touch with the prices - this data is almost 10yrs old. A typical 3.5 cc OS Max glow plug engine used to cost in excess of 8K and the glow plugs themselves costed about 300 bucks each. The fuel (methanol) was about 90 a litre. The basic RC kit with two servos used to cost about 15K. Four servos used to cost even more.

Good luck!!
Thanks for all that detailed information. I did know that it was expensive (in the range of 30k) but now have more concrete idea on what to expect.

For that amount, I could also consider another 6 scale model kits easily. That lure is much stronger.
Old 8th October 2013, 19:03   #28
BHPian

impressive build!
i bought a few 1:24 kits from japan but only got kits, any ideas on what glue available here to use? planing on using automotive paint, but not in as many shades.
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 21:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
impressive build!
i bought a few 1:24 kits from japan but only got kits, any ideas on what glue available here to use? planing on using automotive paint, but not in as many shades.
I used the most common fevi bond when building my recent kit. Used tooth picks to apply. Fevibond is yellowish and hence we need to be a little careful. I think araldite is clear in colour
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 21:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Fevibond is yellowish and hence we need to be a little careful. I think araldite is clear in colour
I'll try both on a part of the tree, should have both at home. any idea if anyone sells kits in india?
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote