Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 10:43   #1831
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Oh I didn't put it correctly...
We were told that they were buying new equipment. The new equipment was these machines in place of the old stuff like barbells, incline and decline benches and stuff. More like someone in the loop made a lot of money off the equipment upgrade; can't see the point of having 2 machines for the same purpose.

Last edited by pranavt : 31st July 2009 at 10:45.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 11:42   #1832
BHPian
 
cargirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default

@pranavt- Somehow, I have never really had a good opinion of Talwalkar's. Had visited once ages ago, but left kinda disappointed. But the few times I have been to Gold's Gym, I have been quite impressed with their equipment and the gym in general.

PS- I don't work out at either of these gyms- just outsider observations, so take my views with a pinch of salt. :-)
cargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 13:22   #1833
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

i recently checked out fitness first on top of eva mall bangalore.
i must say im very very impressed by it.
same day i checked out Golds gym bangalore residency road and found it to be not at all worth your money.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 13:31   #1834
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Oh I didn't put it correctly...
We were told that they were buying new equipment. The new equipment was these machines in place of the old stuff like barbells, incline and decline benches and stuff. More like someone in the loop made a lot of money off the equipment upgrade; can't see the point of having 2 machines for the same purpose.
everytime an instructor tells me, I can do machine squats or presses instead of barbell/dumbbells, I give him an earful

Last edited by jassi : 31st July 2009 at 13:35.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 13:32   #1835
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,223
Thanked: 570 Times
Default

@Pranav- I am going to gold's gym since 3 months. Quiet satisfied with equipment and level of training.
Keep us updated how your experience goes.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 13:49   #1836
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Well I did go to Gold's yesterday to do the formalities. Found the music to be very loud, to the point where I couldn't hear an incoming call. The equipment is good, the atmosphere is good, and with the loud music, there won't be idiots who waste their time gossiping between sets and disturb everyone else with wisecracks and loud laughing. Today's the first day, so I'll get to know the trainers and their ways. Best case scenario, they listen to me and help me do my workouts. Worse case scenario, they try to make me workout on machines and get a earful and start ignoring me. Let's see how it goes.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 15:07   #1837
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Best case scenario, they listen to me and help me do my workouts. Worse case scenario, they try to make me workout on machines and get a earful and start ignoring me. Let's see how it goes.
most important part i guess i work-out in my society gym now and the instructor had to change his ways/advice when it comes to me
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 15:27   #1838
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i work-out in my society gym now and the instructor had to change his ways/advice when it comes to me

I also go to my society's gym. No trainer. Not many people. Those that do come are mostly interested in tread mills only. And i get to play whatever music i like!
Best of all, no membership fee

Last edited by amitoj : 31st July 2009 at 15:29.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 21:18   #1839
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I also go to my society's gym. No trainer. Not many people. Those that do come are mostly interested in tread mills only. And i get to play whatever music i like!
Best of all, no membership fee
wow your society sounds like mine a few months back. I stay in raheja residency and they had no instructor no people working out, just an empty gym all to me with weights and benches and mirrors. Then some society manager had the wise idea to make money and they got treadmills and started charging 1000rs a quarter (which i don't mind cos now the equipment is maintained), but now they have pesky instructors and treadmills and gazillion people bitten by the gym bug
What i do is go at a time when no one is around (8pm to 9pm), shut up the 'know it all' instructor and get him to support me on heavy weights even if people are around, the weights are still free, as they are all vying for the cardio equipment!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 22:28   #1840
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

These "health-conscious" people appear for 3 months, workout like there's no tomorrow, then run and are never seen again. Unfortunately, those come by all round the year. Wish there was a "fitness" season, where all of them would join a gym for 3 months, do their work and then run away. Would save the regulars the frustration of waiting for equipment to be freed up while they wasted 20 minutes doing 3 sets.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 09:19   #1841
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
These "health-conscious" people appear for 3 months, workout like there's no tomorrow, then run and are never seen again. Unfortunately, those come by all round the year. Wish there was a "fitness" season, where all of them would join a gym for 3 months, do their work and then run away. Would save the regulars the frustration of waiting for equipment to be freed up while they wasted 20 minutes doing 3 sets.
They also buy a lot of stuff to workout, like gloves, belts to lift 10 kg dumbells and ipods!! Not to mention they NEVER wipe their sweat off the equipment.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 11:10   #1842
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
They also buy a lot of stuff to workout, like gloves, belts to lift 10 kg dumbells and ipods!! Not to mention they NEVER wipe their sweat off the equipment.
yes gloves, belts, supports and all sorts of things, encouraged by the new age instructors!
Each time i do some light-weight squats or barbell presses or clean n press or deadlifts, the instructors keep telling me to wear belts. I am doing pull-ups and the instructors keep telling me to wear gloves or i will get rough skin in my palm! I call it natural grip and have it for 10+ years now and a week of vaseline makes it ok!

I mean if you keep wearing supports for everything how is the ligament going to develop - its only going to get weaker and weaker, until one day you forget the wrist/back support/glove/belt and the joint gives away cos its so not used to exercise or worse your ligament gives away in regular day to day activities cos its so wasted.
I would say supports are needed only for some really heavy lifts or if you are recovering from some injury (again no point working out through an injury). What you develop without supports are healthy joints and ligaments capable of handling the stresses of muscle building and lifting.
I seriously don't see a point in wearing supports for strengthening muscles and weakening joints n ligaments n tendons.

its really entertaining though to see a fully kitted health enthusiast - you know knee and elbow bands, wrist gloves, back support belt, headband, ipod sleeve, headsets, et al. ANd they have all this gear on all through the workout, whether they are doing cardio or lifting 500gms dumbbells

Last edited by jassi : 1st August 2009 at 11:13.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 13:20   #1843
BHPian
 
godog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DL/HR51/UP16
Posts: 137
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yes gloves, belts, supports and all sorts of things, encouraged by the new age instructors!
Each time i do some light-weight squats or barbell presses or clean n press or deadlifts, the instructors keep telling me to wear belts. I am doing pull-ups and the instructors keep telling me to wear gloves or i will get rough skin in my palm! I call it natural grip and have it for 10+ years now and a week of vaseline makes it ok!

I mean if you keep wearing supports for everything how is the ligament going to develop - its only going to get weaker and weaker, until one day you forget the wrist/back support/glove/belt and the joint gives away cos its so not used to exercise or worse your ligament gives away in regular day to day activities cos its so wasted.
I would say supports are needed only for some really heavy lifts or if you are recovering from some injury (again no point working out through an injury). What you develop without supports are healthy joints and ligaments capable of handling the stresses of muscle building and lifting.
I seriously don't see a point in wearing supports for strengthening muscles and weakening joints n ligaments n tendons.

its really entertaining though to see a fully kitted health enthusiast - you know knee and elbow bands, wrist gloves, back support belt, headband, ipod sleeve, headsets, et al. ANd they have all this gear on all through the workout, whether they are doing cardio or lifting 500gms dumbbells
Reminds me of an ageless phrase: "O rly?!"

Very Interesting. Made my day.







Get on with yer life and workouts. Let others make their own decisions.
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 15:42   #1844
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Reminds me of an ageless phrase: "O rly?!"

Very Interesting. Made my day.







Get on with yer life and workouts. Let others make their own decisions.
I know what you mean - the fact that i find things entertaining means i have moved on. I am not one of those who get bothered by others, but the post was made to make newbies aware that belts/gloves/supports are not always needed - not meant for experts like you who are already aware of the importance of strengthening connective tissue, a fact that most newbies don't understand and next gen instructors don't emphasize!

Last edited by jassi : 1st August 2009 at 15:45.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 21:41   #1845
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Im a student, and i live alone (in a flat)...and i cant/dont know how to cook. Many of my friends who live out in the hostel also face this same problem: DIET. I know Diet is the key to having a flat midsection and overall healthy body, but its tough when you dont have a cook or cant control the production of food at its start point. I know our Indian food is heavy on oil and ghee and such. This is the main problem that i face. I do have food that gets delivered for most of the week thats vegetarian, but i have to eat non-veg outside. What do you guys who are working out eat? I used to take protein supplements, but stopped when i ran out. I thought i would either try ON-Whey again or the ON-Pro Complex stuff. What do you guys recommend?
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks