Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 06:17   #1981
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Take a break from your gym. You should be concentrating on the workouts, not the people.
That's what I do during my breaks. Look around. Although I must admit that the girls' fitness session every Wednesday evening is quite distracting, especially with all the stretching going on.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 10:08   #1982
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
And Pranav no matter how intense is your workout you do notice people around. human nature.
well if it is intense enough, i rarely notice people, unless they ask me for help or something. Besides going at odd times when no one or very few people are in the gym, makes this easier for me
we don't have stretching women of the hot kinds in our gym
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:56   #1983
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
While your point is certainly valid, I did not like the general tone of the pro-steroid lobby. A lot of them seem to justify it saying that it's not as harmful as tobacco or alcohol, and helps you get stronger. I saw another documentary (The Union - The Business Behind Getting High) where they were promoting pot and used the same comparison.

What I believe in is that just because other people are poisoning themselves with tobacco, alcohol and caffeine, you don't have to justify steroids by comparing it with them. It should be considered harmful in its own right, not relative to some other "drug". If our society is filled with all kinds of vices, doesn't mean that people who at least have an option to choose should make the bad choice.

Heck I've seen a lot of guys who go to the gym for the wrong reasons. The shortest guys in my gym wanna be the biggest, and the fattest guys wanna be even bigger. I think a lot of people these days tend to think that they can use muscles to mask themselves, so that they can "hide" the real person, like a defense mechanism. Kind of like how overweight people use food as theirs. Self-esteem is in real short supply these days.
What is wrong with that?
If this is wrong, then I think ppl should remain the way nature (or God if you rather) intended them to be.

That means - I have got thin bone structure, which means I won't put on muscles unless I workout.
I have slow metabolism, which means if I don't take care of my diet, and don't do any physical activity - then I would just bloat.

Fortunately that is not the case. I want to change my natural self. I wish to fight my genes till I have the ability.
Human beings are not those who leave everything upto chance and nature.

You are right about self esteem.
You think a highly obese + short guy who would've been teased since childhood would have a great reason to have a big self esteem. And if that guy is going to gym to get in shape (which would ultimately raise his self esteem) you got a problem with that?
Not everyone is content with what they are at this very right moment. And thats why they try to change it.
Heck, that is one attitude of man, that has lead to all this development and civilization.

Let me ask you why do you go to gym, why do you pick up weights and workout?
If you are doing it purely for health reasons - my advice stay outta gym.
There are easier and better ways to improve health - swimming, jogging, yoga, calisthenics etc.
If it is anything like getting into shape, improving shape, reducing fat and at same time increasing muscles - then weights are what you require.

Regarding steroids - though I don't really recommend those purely for health reasons - but I don't understand the brouhaha they raise.
Steroids give you an upper edge - by making your body recover faster, and increasing the metabolism.

If you feel that it gives unfair advantage, what would say about about nature.
The bloody genes that we inherit - are they under our control? No one talks about unfairness when someone has genetic advantage.
What about tall basketball players?
What about hefty built (thick boned/joints) weightlifters?
What about long distance runners from higher altitudes, whose hemoglobin has capacity to carry more oxygen than others.

Won't you call them advantaged (unfairly)?


*** end of rant for now ***

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th August 2009 at 12:02.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 19:33   #1984
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What is wrong with that?
If this is wrong, then I think ppl should remain the way nature (or God if you rather) intended them to be.

That means - I have got thin bone structure, which means I won't put on muscles unless I workout.
I have slow metabolism, which means if I don't take care of my diet, and don't do any physical activity - then I would just bloat.

Fortunately that is not the case. I want to change my natural self. I wish to fight my genes till I have the ability.
Human beings are not those who leave everything upto chance and nature.

You are right about self esteem.
You think a highly obese + short guy who would've been teased since childhood would have a great reason to have a big self esteem. And if that guy is going to gym to get in shape (which would ultimately raise his self esteem) you got a problem with that?
Not everyone is content with what they are at this very right moment. And thats why they try to change it.
Heck, that is one attitude of man, that has lead to all this development and civilization.

Let me ask you why do you go to gym, why do you pick up weights and workout?
If you are doing it purely for health reasons - my advice stay outta gym.
There are easier and better ways to improve health - swimming, jogging, yoga, calisthenics etc.
If it is anything like getting into shape, improving shape, reducing fat and at same time increasing muscles - then weights are what you require.

Regarding steroids - though I don't really recommend those purely for health reasons - but I don't understand the brouhaha they raise.
Steroids give you an upper edge - by making your body recover faster, and increasing the metabolism.

If you feel that it gives unfair advantage, what would say about about nature.
The bloody genes that we inherit - are they under our control? No one talks about unfairness when someone has genetic advantage.
What about tall basketball players?
What about hefty built (thick boned/joints) weightlifters?
What about long distance runners from higher altitudes, whose hemoglobin has capacity to carry more oxygen than others.

Won't you call them advantaged (unfairly)?


*** end of rant for now ***
What I meant to say there was that instead of being fit and healthy, the general tendency is to get big these days. A lot of people want to be the biggest in their gym because apparently that looks good on them. To achieve that, a lot of them will take the help of steroids. See if you can find them after 25 years and then compare their condition with normal people.

If you are overweight, your first priority should be to lose all that weight, because that is a serious health hazard. That will require a lot of time on the treadmill, which no one wants to devote to. Lifting weights while making you stronger won't make you any slimmer.

People don't realize the importance of being healthy these days. Everything they do is driven by consumerism; supplements, tummy tuck, dieting, other things. What happened to actually working hard to get rid of that fat, and eating right as well. On top of all that, these days you see all kinds of shows on TV glorifying these people, and encouraging them to stay like that.

As for me why I go to the gym, it's a hobby for me, along with my other hobbies. Do I wanna be the biggest guy in town? No. I just go there with my buddies, do what I have to do to stay in shape, interact with a lot of people there, make new friends sometimes, and then get the hell out after I'm done.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 20:17   #1985
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Sujay,

A couple of observations from me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
What I meant to say there was that instead of being fit and healthy, the general tendency is to get big these days. A lot of people want to be the biggest in their gym because apparently that looks good on them. To achieve that, a lot of them will take the help of steroids. See if you can find them after 25 years and then compare their condition with normal people.
You have made a very generic statement here. I want to be one of the biggest in my gym as I am very lean (65kgs.). I don't see any harm in that. And I don't take steroids. I have started taking a whey based protein post workout and hopefully, you won't label this as a steroid.



Quote:
If you are overweight, your first priority should be to lose all that weight, because that is a serious health hazard. That will require a lot of time on the treadmill, which no one wants to devote to. Lifting weights while making you stronger won't make you any slimmer.
Agreed. If some one is overweight, he should first concentrate on weight loss. But have you ever heard of weight training for fat loss? Its not a myth.

Quote:
People don't realize the importance of being healthy these days. Everything they do is driven by consumerism; supplements, tummy tuck, dieting, other things. What happened to actually working hard to get rid of that fat, and eating right as well. On top of all that, these days you see all kinds of shows on TV glorifying these people, and encouraging them to stay like that.
See my point #1. I can say about a lot of people who work hard...no, train hard (I like the word 'training) to achieve their objectives. Those who give into gimmicks like tummy tuck and diet fads are impressionable people.

Quote:
As for me why I go to the gym, it's a hobby for me, along with my other hobbies. Do I wanna be the biggest guy in town? No. I just go there with my buddies, do what I have to do to stay in shape, interact with a lot of people there, make new friends sometimes, and then get the hell out after I'm done.
If you just want to stay in shape and socialize at the same time, gym may not be the best place for you. Try outdoors. Besides saving serious money on gym memberships, you'll do a favour on those who come to the gym for an intense, hard training session and don't like to get distracted.

-Naresh

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 28th August 2009 at 20:19.
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:19   #1986
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 107
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

[quote=navpreet318;1445177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post

could you please send me a pm or post here the details of the place you got the syntrax nectar from??

also how's its taste?and results?can you compare it to some of the market favs like ON and gaspari?
The place is called Nutrition World in Sukhdev market in Kotla Mubarakpur,opposite Defence Colony traffic signal

The taste is amazing (I have tried Strawberry kiwi flavour few times) and result is good too. Its by far the best tasting whey protein I have had so far. I have tried ON and I can say Syntrax Nectar is better in taste,little or no after taste,mixability (u need to use a spoon to mix it and it leaves almost mil residue) and no discomfort like bloating etc.
AshOnTheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 13:51   #1987
BHPian
 
godog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DL/HR51/UP16
Posts: 137
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Self-esteem is in real short supply these days.
You can say that again...


Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

The place is called Nutrition World in Sukhdev market in Kotla Mubarakpur,opposite Defence Colony traffic signal

The taste is amazing (I have tried Strawberry kiwi flavour few times) and result is good too. Its by far the best tasting whey protein I have had so far. I have tried ON and I can say Syntrax Nectar is better in taste,little or no after taste,mixability (u need to use a spoon to mix it and it leaves almost mil residue) and no discomfort like bloating etc.
Ah-ha! So the cat is in the bag NOW!
for anyone joining the discussion fairly recently, here is where godog, and certainly harry10, can be found starting tomorrow:


Nutrition World

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1286517

Last edited by godog : 30th August 2009 at 13:54.
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 21:24   #1988
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
A lot of people want to be the biggest in their gym because apparently that looks good on them. To achieve that, a lot of them will take the help of steroids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Lifting weights while making you stronger won't make you any slimmer.
Actually lifting weights is a sure shot way to burn fat rather then aimlessly using a treadmill. Not 'pumping' weights.

Variations of Squats, Deads, Pushups, Lunges with high repetitions and weights can give your metabolism a kick start.

Some of the most successful women in the gym are not the cardio bunnies but the ones who also do weight training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
People don't realize the importance of being healthy these days.
Really? I think Indian society is finally waking up to their misconceptions of health/diets and also genetic weaknesses.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:42   #1989
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Regarding the Indian diet habits of the general populace, I would say the worst evil is that we STILL have the same farmer's diet (gobbling several ghee laden rotis, munching on kilos of rice, using too much oil/ghee for every darn stuff prepared in kitchen) while maintaining a perfectly sedentary lifestyle devoid of absolutely ANY strenuous physical activity.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:49   #1990
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
What I meant to say there was that instead of being fit and healthy, the general tendency is to get big these days. A lot of people want to be the biggest in their gym because apparently that looks good on them. To achieve that, a lot of them will take the help of steroids. See if you can find them after 25 years and then compare their condition with normal people.

If you are overweight, your first priority should be to lose all that weight, because that is a serious health hazard. That will require a lot of time on the treadmill, which no one wants to devote to. Lifting weights while making you stronger won't make you any slimmer.

People don't realize the importance of being healthy these days. Everything they do is driven by consumerism; supplements, tummy tuck, dieting, other things. What happened to actually working hard to get rid of that fat, and eating right as well. On top of all that, these days you see all kinds of shows on TV glorifying these people, and encouraging them to stay like that.

As for me why I go to the gym, it's a hobby for me, along with my other hobbies. Do I wanna be the biggest guy in town? No. I just go there with my buddies, do what I have to do to stay in shape, interact with a lot of people there, make new friends sometimes, and then get the hell out after I'm done.
1. That is there because of the belief that ppl have - heavier you lift, the more muscular you will become. And it is this propagated belief that leads ppl towards steroids etc, because they (very obviously) are not going to get muscular results if they practice a powerlifting routine. So they look to other means (AAS etc) to make progress.

2. I would not agree. You can lose tons of lard also WITHOUT much loss in muscles. Whereas doing all aerobics and cardio - you cannot assure that.

3. I can understand why you "look down upon" the guys at gym who are there to actually achieve something at gym.

If what you've written is what you go to gym for - great it a nice hobby.

But there are many others who really wanna change something which this stupid "mother nature" has laden us with. Please do not demean the efforts of such ppl.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd September 2009 at 10:52.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 08:31   #1991
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

3. I can understand why you "look down upon" the guys at gym who are there to actually achieve something at gym.

If what you've written is what you go to gym for - great it a nice hobby.

But there are many others who really wanna change something which this stupid "mother nature" has laden us with. Please do not demean the efforts of such ppl.
You guys totally misunderstood the last part of my post. I do not look down upon anyone, and people can do what they want to do. I've also been through the same phase as you guys for the past few years. I used to be about 85 kgs at my heaviest, brought it down to 70 kgs with both cardio and weights, and then gained about 4-5 kgs of muscle mass after that.

I received a lot of help and good advice from some of the guys at the gym. Like they would point out if my form was wrong, or spot me so that I could get a few more reps, without me even asking them for help. It's also pretty useful to have a gym buddy, since you can motivate each other and also evaluate your progress. I've been lucky to have one in all the different gyms I've been to so far, and hope it stays like that for me.

My point before was that people should not "abuse" their bodies while trying to achieve something. There's a proper way of doing everything, and it requires time and patience. Steroids are bad, mostly because of their long term effects. It's not worth risking your life to achieve that perfect V-shape, or get the beach body. In fact many girls like a little extra something on their man.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 4th September 2009 at 08:39.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 09:00   #1992
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
In fact many girls like a little extra something on their man.
hmm thats a whole a different debate not sure if there are any girls on this thread - either ways i wouldn't care because i workout for myself not the girls (they are good motivation at times though)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:05   #1993
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
You guys totally misunderstood the last part of my post. I do not look down upon anyone, and people can do what they want to do. I've also been through the same phase as you guys for the past few years. I used to be about 85 kgs at my heaviest, brought it down to 70 kgs with both cardio and weights, and then gained about 4-5 kgs of muscle mass after that.

I received a lot of help and good advice from some of the guys at the gym. Like they would point out if my form was wrong, or spot me so that I could get a few more reps, without me even asking them for help. It's also pretty useful to have a gym buddy, since you can motivate each other and also evaluate your progress. I've been lucky to have one in all the different gyms I've been to so far, and hope it stays like that for me.

My point before was that people should not "abuse" their bodies while trying to achieve something. There's a proper way of doing everything, and it requires time and patience. Steroids are bad, mostly because of their long term effects. It's not worth risking your life to achieve that perfect V-shape, or get the beach body. In fact many girls like a little extra something on their man.
You mean man-boobs?


LOL, anway, am pretty sure because of my rambling, you might have drawn a different picture about me.
Am not that fat, thin or short etc.
I am pretty moderate: 173 cm, 76 kg, slight lard on waist, never been obese or thin.
But what I was writing was based on my understanding of a person who would've "suffered" because of those conditions.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:34   #1994
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
hmm thats a whole a different debate not sure if there are any girls on this thread - either ways i wouldn't care because i workout for myself not the girls (they are good motivation at times though)
Controversial statement by Sujay and can be debated on a length
I believe if you are fit and in shape the satisfaction it gives you everyday is unmatched. Whatever the motivation is. the point is to stay motivated always.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:28   #1995
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You mean man-boobs?
Good one.

Quote:
I believe if you are fit and in shape the satisfaction it gives you everyday is unmatched. Whatever the motivation is. the point is to stay motivated always.
True say Harsh.

I've always aimed for the James Bond look from the 60's and 70's, the kind that looks good in a tuxedo. You're not exactly chubby, but neither are you excessively ripped or big. I know it's hard to achieve, but still doable.

The modern James Bond is nothing but a male model who was instructed to say a few lines in the movie. No character whatsoever.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks