Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 09:32   #1996
BHPian
 
Kärlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Words of Wisdom

Coach Mark Rippetoe :-

"There are lots of useless assistance exercises which contribute nothing to the performance of the major exercises, nothing to the performance of sports activities, and which in fact may be worse than merely wasted time. Exercises that utilize only one joint, which usually require machines to do, are non functional in the sense that they do not follow a normal human movement pattern. They also quite often predispose the joint to overuse injuries and the vast majority of weight room injuries are produced by these exercises. This is not only by default, since it is obvious in a world where most people only use machines that most of the injuries will happen on machines. Isolation exercises cause tendonitis because human joints are not designed to be subjected to the stress of movements where all the shock, torque,and the load is exclusively applied to one joint. The knee did not evolve on the leg extension machine. There is no movement that can be performed outside the modern health club that involves only the quadriceps; the only way to isolate the quads is to do an exercise on a machine designed for the purpose. This is a function that millions of years of vertebrate evolution did not anticipate. The knee is the home of many muscles, all of which have developed while working at the same time. Any exercise that deviates from the function for which the joint is designed contributes very little to have the function of that joint, and is the potential source of problems. Exercise machines have made several people a lot of money and they have been a very large diversion from more productive forms of exercise. Barbell training is once again being recognized as the superior form of exercise."
Kärlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 09:34   #1997
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Controversial statement by Sujay and can be debated on a length
I believe if you are fit and in shape the satisfaction it gives you everyday is unmatched. Whatever the motivation is. the point is to stay motivated always.
what a co-incidence, i just logged in to write a small blurb on motivation - just yesterday i went to my office campus gym after many months and found it to be a refreshing motivating change compared to my society gym So i did my regular 1 hr workout to cover chest and lats - but ended up doing much more and that lasted for 1.5 hrs. After 1.5 hrs i could still see people pumping and the gym instructer was working out biceps and posing around. I actually felt i had a lot more in me and went ahead did a full biceps workout (sure the poundages were a little lesser as biceps/forearms were already pumped from 50 pullups) - so motivation got me to workout twice as much as my daily workout and 3 muscle groups instead of 2!

Rightly said by harry above - whatever keeps you motivated, the next holiday, a posing competition in the gym, your woman or women , the drive to stay healthy, seeing fat unhealthy people, it all works!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 10:22   #1998
BHPian
 
cvvikram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: India
Posts: 144
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey guys!

Need small help from you people. I am a software professional and my height is 5, 9ft and age is 27. My weight is approx 60kgs and I look lean. Can you please tell me which protein supplement would be good for me?

Just saw this product in ebay

eBay India: Myofusion 5LBS Protein Supplement by 'Gaspari Nutri.USA (item 180402428755 end time 07-Sep-2009 13:24:51 IST)

Is it worthy?

Meanwhile, I don't go for Gym, but do regular yoga exercises. Please recommend some good supplements for my case.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 10:34   #1999
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi guys,

I just started taking Serious Mass by Optimum on my trainer's advice as I'm low on weight. I just bought myself a 6lb pack from Nutrition world for 2200, so that I could try and then buy the 12lb pack next time ( for 3700). I'm taking 1 scoop just after workout in the morning and 1 scoop after coming back from office in the evening. The results are amazing and showing up in just 2 days ! But I had a query, the 6lb container gives 16 scoops which makes it only 8 days to consume a 6lb pack and 16 days for 12 lb pack. Even if I start buying 12lb pack from now on, then also its so expensive, I would nearly be spending nearly 7000 per month. So I just started seeing websites and saw that
Bodybuilding.com - Optimum Serious Mass - Weight Gainer! On sale now!
they are giving 12 lb pack for only 39$ , which is less than 2000 ! I wanna ask, has anybody bought from this website ? Shall I start ordering from it as its appearing to be a great money saver.Please guide.

UPDATE : they are charging 65$ for shipping, so no point buying

Last edited by inferno : 5th September 2009 at 10:47.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 10:38   #2000
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Hey guys!

Need small help from you people. I am a software professional and my height is 5, 9ft and age is 27. My weight is approx 60kgs and I look lean. Can you please tell me which protein supplement would be good for me?

Just saw this product in ebay

eBay India: Myofusion 5LBS Protein Supplement by 'Gaspari Nutri.USA (item 180402428755 end time 07-Sep-2009 13:24:51 IST)

Is it worthy?

Meanwhile, I don't go for Gym, but do regular yoga exercises. Please recommend some good supplements for my case.
i hate to break your ice, but supplements will not do anything useful if you are not working out.
I do yoga too and i have grown out very lean phase (i was 5'10 50 kilos 12 years back!). The only way to do it is eat like anything, make your own protein shakes (or use supplements) and workout to put on muscle mass.

Unless your goal is too just put on fat (why??) and not quality weight (muscle mass), there is nothing any excessive food or supplements can do for you in the absence of a good muscle building regime.
Yes yoga is important and so is playing some sports, but you are not going to gain quality weight by just doing those and having supplements.

Myofusion is recommended a lot here, but before you jump in and buy it, start a good workout regime and and after a few months when you start to plateau a bit (i.e reach your limits with weights in the gym), get on to a good protein supplement. You don't need supplments from day 1, heck i did not supplements for 8-9 yrs of my 12 yrs of gymming (bodybuilders may have different goals) as all along i made my own protein shakes with natural stuff like eggs and milk

good luck and take care. hope you make the right choices
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 11:36   #2001
BHPian
 
cvvikram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: India
Posts: 144
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i hate to break your ice, but supplements will not do anything useful if you are not working out.
I do yoga too and i have grown out very lean phase (i was 5'10 50 kilos 12 years back!). The only way to do it is eat like anything, make your own protein shakes (or use supplements) and workout to put on muscle mass.

Unless your goal is too just put on fat (why??) and not quality weight (muscle mass), there is nothing any excessive food or supplements can do for you in the absence of a good muscle building regime.
Yes yoga is important and so is playing some sports, but you are not going to gain quality weight by just doing those and having supplements.

Myofusion is recommended a lot here, but before you jump in and buy it, start a good workout regime and and after a few months when you start to plateau a bit (i.e reach your limits with weights in the gym), get on to a good protein supplement. You don't need supplments from day 1, heck i did not supplements for 8-9 yrs of my 12 yrs of gymming (bodybuilders may have different goals) as all along i made my own protein shakes with natural stuff like eggs and milk

good luck and take care. hope you make the right choices
Thanks for the detailed information! Will take these points in consideration.

One more question, are there any side effects of Myofusion protein supplement for newbies?
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 11:42   #2002
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Thanks for the detailed information! Will take these points in consideration.

One more question, are there any side effects of Myofusion protein supplement for newbies?
if taken in the quantity your body needs, protein has no side effects. But like i said, if you just take protein supplements but do not exercise, then probably your body does not need it. You maybe deriving all you need from daily meals.
Generally 1 gm of protein (from supplement + daily meals) per kilo of your body weight is ok for a person not involved in any major sports or muscle building activity. However a typical bodybuilder will take much more (1 gm per pound or more).
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 11:46   #2003
BHPian
 
cvvikram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: India
Posts: 144
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
if taken in the quantity your body needs, protein has no side effects. But like i said, if you just take protein supplements but do not exercise, then probably your body does not need it. You maybe deriving all you need from daily meals.
Generally 1 gm of protein (from supplement + daily meals) per kilo of your body weight is ok for a person not involved in any major sports or muscle building activity. However a typical bodybuilder will take much more (1 gm per pound or more).
Exercise, means going to gym on daily basis or jogging or doing more yoga would be self sufficient?

Last edited by cvvikram : 5th September 2009 at 11:47.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:34   #2004
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Exercise, means going to gym on daily basis or jogging or doing more yoga would be self sufficient?
i do yoga and yoga in no way is building my muscles. its good for flexibility, breathing and internal organs, as well as mental peace. Jogging or cardio or although works a few muscles is more for cardiovascular endurance. Martial arts would be more of a good mix of cardio and muscle and so will be swimming, but unless you are doing those 2 things professionally you aren't in any real need of protein supplement. Nowadays most athletes also realize the importance of muscle workouts and that is what i mean by exercise. Without being very scientific here, proteins are needed for muscle growth and muscle growth happens by muscle building and muscle endurance exercises. This will happen when you perform sets of resistance/weight training in a gym or fitness center. This will also ensure a change in your metabolism and coupled with a good diet move your body type from ectomorph to mesomorph (or ecto-meso) which is what we all aim for when we say 'i am lean i want to gain weight'

So get into a decent gym, eat well, get enough natural protein sources and rest enough for muscle recuperation and growth. Once you reach limits with weights in gymand can't increase the weights no matter what you try, look at some protein supplements.
Hope this clarifies things - there is no quick fix or supplement to being healthy and getting to a weight (up or down) which you aspire to be at.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 13:00   #2005
BHPian
 
motorpsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubli
Posts: 340
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Hey guys!

Need small help from you people. I am a software professional and my height is 5, 9ft and age is 27. My weight is approx 60kgs and I look lean. Can you please tell me which protein supplement would be good for me?

Just saw this product in ebay

eBay India: Myofusion 5LBS Protein Supplement by 'Gaspari Nutri.USA (item 180402428755 end time 07-Sep-2009 13:24:51 IST)

Is it worthy?

Meanwhile, I don't go for Gym, but do regular yoga exercises. Please recommend some good supplements for my case.
Hi vikram

Supplements DO NOT work wonders like how they are projected.. Youneed to put serious effort and dedication to build mucles.. every website claims big about their products..even many magazines are controlled by these companies..but as has been mentioned above you need to get into a serious routine of work out before you go in for supplements..otherwise its of no use..you will have to work out seriously..for the supplements to take effect.
many supplements claim many things but it's always good to go for a good brand..and those members can guide you better who have actually used the products.. I have used Amways protein for 3 months and it has worked well for me..but a person I know who is a national level bodybuilder by the name Levin who also runs his own gym recommends the company muscle tec.. I have never used this product.But search around ask your friends who have actually used the products and then decide what to buy.. Whey protien has no side effect and also the cheapest and the best for its protien content. I will post more details about whey ASAP.Hope this helps

Regards
Motorpsycho
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 14:27   #2006
BHPian
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 374
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Exercise, means going to gym on daily basis or jogging or doing more yoga would be self sufficient?
I'll tell you what, go to gym atleast 4 days in a week.
Have a weight gainer protein supplement. I took "serious mass" by optimum nutrition.
At starting stage take one scoop serving with milk, but try to have milk atleast three times in a day, as in morning, post workout and before going to bed at night. And then after 20 days make it 2 scoops.
If you eat eggs, then nothing best, have around 6 eggs daily.

I eate less eggs but drank milk mostly and you might not believe it, i gained 10 kgs in 4 months, that too when i was so irregular to gym.
Even i was pretty weak.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Dante : 6th September 2009 at 14:28.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 10:56   #2007
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
Coach Mark Rippetoe :-

"There are lots of useless assistance exercises which contribute nothing to the performance of the major exercises, nothing to the performance of sports activities, and which in fact may be worse than merely wasted time. Exercises that utilize only one joint, which usually require machines to do, are non functional in the sense that they do not follow a normal human movement pattern. They also quite often predispose the joint to overuse injuries and the vast majority of weight room injuries are produced by these exercises. This is not only by default, since it is obvious in a world where most people only use machines that most of the injuries will happen on machines. Isolation exercises cause tendonitis because human joints are not designed to be subjected to the stress of movements where all the shock, torque,and the load is exclusively applied to one joint. The knee did not evolve on the leg extension machine. There is no movement that can be performed outside the modern health club that involves only the quadriceps; the only way to isolate the quads is to do an exercise on a machine designed for the purpose. This is a function that millions of years of vertebrate evolution did not anticipate. The knee is the home of many muscles, all of which have developed while working at the same time. Any exercise that deviates from the function for which the joint is designed contributes very little to have the function of that joint, and is the potential source of problems. Exercise machines have made several people a lot of money and they have been a very large diversion from more productive forms of exercise. Barbell training is once again being recognized as the superior form of exercise."
I would agree to all that, but in the context of strength training ONLY.

Is there any accomplished bodybuilder in this world who hasn't don't curls for biceps or extension for triceps?
Or flyes/pec dec for chest ...
In bodybuilding routine no one is supposed to use heavy weights that cause unecessary stress on joints.

Of course, even I don't believe much in machines, because they restrict the degrees of freedom, which puts a lot of (harmful) stress on your joints/bones/tendons.

Barbell and dumbell (along with pulleys) FTW!

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th September 2009 at 10:57.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:45   #2008
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Personally, I do not like machines.....may be they're better for sport specific routines!
The overall satisfaction you get from free weights are beyond words. Dumbells, Barbells and Benches is all one needs.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:53   #2009
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi guys
I wanted to ask, how to know that a product is genuine ?
I'm Optimum Serious Mass 12lbs for 3800 from nutrition world, near defence colony
and for 3250 from Universal Food supplements, (dwarka)

Shall I buy from dwarka as the difference is more than 500 bucks, but how to assure that the product is genuine ?
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 12:03   #2010
BHPian
 
Kärlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I would agree to all that, but in the context of strength training ONLY.

Is there any accomplished bodybuilder in this world who hasn't don't curls for biceps or extension for triceps?
Or flyes/pec dec for chest ...
In bodybuilding routine no one is supposed to use heavy weights that cause unecessary stress on joints.

Of course, even I don't believe much in machines, because they restrict the degrees of freedom, which puts a lot of (harmful) stress on your joints/bones/tendons.

Barbell and dumbell (along with pulleys) FTW!
While I agree that body builders need to build sarcoplasmic hypertrophy with more repetitions and isolation work, the premise that low rep heavy weights do harm to joints is untrue, provided the form is correct and the program is designed well for the trainee in question. Body building injuries are mostly because of too many reps and are over use injuries. Serious body builders also must lift heavy for building mass. But even for those going in for serious body building a strength base as Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength novice program will be well worth it. Machines will work for bodybuilding figure models but it is a poor way to train for functional strength for playing a sport or to help explosive movement on the field.
Kärlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks