Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 12:07   #2011
BHPian
 
Kärlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Exercise, means going to gym on daily basis or jogging or doing more yoga would be self sufficient?
Yoga could be used for recovery. However you need to get a exercise program designed as per your current fitness levels and goals.
Kärlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 14:50   #2012
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Hi guys
I wanted to ask, how to know that a product is genuine ?
I'm Optimum Serious Mass 12lbs for 3800 from nutrition world, near defence colony
and for 3250 from Universal Food supplements, (dwarka)

Shall I buy from dwarka as the difference is more than 500 bucks, but how to assure that the product is genuine ?
I believe this is a better weight gainer than optimum as i had read good reviews about this in bodybuilding.com forum section.

Check it out - Bodybuilding.com - Gaspari Nutrition REAL MASS - Super Fast Acting! On sale now!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:11   #2013
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@harry10
but the real question remains unanswered, how to check the authenticity of the product ?
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:18   #2014
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Serious Mass is crap. In fact, it is one of the worst formulas of all time alongwith Weider Mega Mass; both of them loaded with $hitloads of simple sugars.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:42   #2015
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
While I agree that body builders need to build sarcoplasmic hypertrophy with more repetitions and isolation work, the premise that low rep heavy weights do harm to joints is untrue, provided the form is correct and the program is designed well for the trainee in question. Body building injuries are mostly because of too many reps and are over use injuries. Serious body builders also must lift heavy for building mass. But even for those going in for serious body building a strength base as Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength novice program will be well worth it. Machines will work for bodybuilding figure models but it is a poor way to train for functional strength for playing a sport or to help explosive movement on the field.
Agreed, I tried Rippetoe's for one month (or two), and as I have posted before - I saw lard piling up on my waist.

BTW, I guess the thread has again lapsed back to powders.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 10:46   #2016
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Okay a question related to biceps. My biceps are 15 1/2 inches, all muscle, no fat hanging or anything, I want to reduce it, so what is the recommend thing here. I have heard that doing more repetitions using less weights will help, is that true. Right now I lift 25 to 30 kg for each arm and do 15 reps and 3 sets.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:02   #2017
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Okay a question related to biceps. My biceps are 15 1/2 inches, all muscle, no fat hanging or anything, I want to reduce it, so what is the recommend thing here. I have heard that doing more repetitions using less weights will help, is that true. Right now I lift 25 to 30 kg for each arm and do 15 reps and 3 sets.
reduce why
more reps with less weights (10 to 15 kgs) will get the muscle more cut and well defined and prevent bulking up. But remember that muscles like biceps work in a lot of compound movements (eg while doing lats) and if you are doing heavy weights in those compound movements, the results will be delayed. So there maybe no way to preventing bulking of biceps unless you prevent bulking of the rest of your body (read light weights and 100s of reps for all exercises).
Also more than 60% of your arms is tricep - i am not sure simply reducing biceps will help,you need to reduce triceps too
will leave it to some other experts here to give correct guidance for this unique need :-)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 12:15   #2018
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
muscles like biceps work in a lot of compound movements (eg while doing lats) and if you are doing heavy weights in those compound movements, the results will be delayed. So there maybe no way to preventing bulking of biceps unless you prevent bulking of the rest of your body (read light weights and 100s of reps for all exercises).
Also more than 60% of your arms is tricep - i am not sure simply reducing biceps will help,you need to reduce triceps too
will leave it to some other experts here to give correct guidance for this unique need :-)
Well the problem is, I am short ie 5 foot 4, so I do not want to bulk up a lot.

Also I wear size medium T shirts and those T shirts tend to become very tight around the biceps and I look somewhat like a goonda in them. So one more reason to reduce bulk... Just kidding,

As you rightly said, biceps do work in a lot of other exercises also. I do want to reduce bulking in the rest of the body too. So you mean 100 reps per set or the sum total of all sets.

One more thing, I take whey protein daily after the workout, It has surely increased strength. Will I have to stop taking it, so that I do not bulk up.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 8th September 2009 at 12:22.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 12:46   #2019
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Well the problem is, I am short ie 5 foot 4, so I do not want to bulk up a lot.

Also I wear size medium T shirts and those T shirts tend to become very tight around the biceps and I look somewhat like a goonda in them. So one more reason to reduce bulk... Just kidding,

As you rightly said, biceps do work in a lot of other exercises also. I do want to reduce bulking in the rest of the body too. So you mean 100 reps per set or the sum total of all sets.

One more thing, I take whey protein daily after the workout, It has surely increased strength. Will I have to stop taking it, so that I do not bulk up.
aah you need to get cut up and well defined and not big. One person i can remember who was really cut up was Bruce Lee, if you have seen some of his movies. Also frank zane comes to mind
so as an example if you do 3 sets of 15 reps each with 30kilos for biceps, do 9 sets of 20 reps each with 10-15 kilos. Do things like 100-150 pushups/dips on chest day and then do your regular chest exercises with much lesser weights and many more reps. Also 150 squats (and sissy squats) before you actually start your thigh workout :-)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 13:55   #2020
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

^^ one thing to keep in mind - increase this slowly over the next few weeks, so that your joints get accustomed, else you might be setting yourself up for rsi (repetitive stress injury) - concentrate more on cardio (and/or swimming, martial arts)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:54   #2021
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Okay a question related to biceps. My biceps are 15 1/2 inches, all muscle, no fat hanging or anything, I want to reduce it, so what is the recommend thing here. I have heard that doing more repetitions using less weights will help, is that true. Right now I lift 25 to 30 kg for each arm and do 15 reps and 3 sets.
at 5'4" !!!
we need pix!

If this is because of your workouts - then of course by easing more on biceps and bringing rest of body at par will help.
Which means doing more of shoulders chest and back to make those big arms seem like in proportion.

If it is because of unusually thick bones - sorry mate, you've got to live with it.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 14:04   #2022
BHPian
 
jp2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 228
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

after a short gap am back in this thread with my updates.

My weight in March 2009 = 110 KGs
My weight now(Sep 09) = 88 KGS

reduced 22Kgs in 5 months with proper dieting and 12kms of walking and jogging daily
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 14:17   #2023
BHPian
 
SRShrikanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: B'bay/Stockholm
Posts: 255
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
after a short gap am back in this thread with my updates.

My weight in March 2009 = 110 KGs
My weight now(Sep 09) = 88 KGS

reduced 22Kgs in 5 months with proper dieting and 12kms of walking and jogging daily
Great Stuff, buddy.

Trust your going to give it the best shot in maintaining the same as well.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 14:32   #2024
BHPian
 
jp2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 228
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Great Stuff, buddy.

Trust your going to give it the best shot in maintaining the same as well.
I sure will give my best of the best to maintain.

I am just trying to reduce the belly fat now, any suggestion
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 15:29   #2025
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

I have a 6 day routine now:
1. Chest
2. Biceps
3. Triceps
4. Back
5. Shoulders
6. Legs

The problem is I am able to make it to the gym only 4 days a week (+ 2days swimming) and hence if I follow the above cycle, there is a big gap b/w repetition of the same muscle group. What I want to do is to shift to a 4 day cycle and the easiest option I can think of is to remove the biceps and triceps days. In that case, along with which muscle group should I incorporate biceps and triceps exercises?

- Jag
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks