Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 09:24   #2161
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Navpreet, of late, there have been MANY fakes circulating - everywhere in India.
PM me the place (or the name of the guy) where you bought it from and I will instantly let you know about the truth. What these scummers do; they buy the empty jars from the customers who have just finished their products, fill them up with flavored soy protein and re-sell it as imported one. 99% of the times, they are able to replicate only chocolate flavor since it's pretty easy and cheap to get.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:05   #2162
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,795 Times
Default Biceps/Triceps & Wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai View Post
My wrist joint have severe pain while doing barbel curls . I can't do even a single rep .I am doing 5 min warmup and streching before doing any exercise. what should i do to cure this pain foreever. Can anyone help ?
1) Go to a physiotherapist ( he is the best guide)

2) Do Pull-Ups

3) Standing Dumbell Curls, use the tricep while lowering the weight (eccentric phase)

4) Wrist and Grip Training
i) Hold a DB in each hand and roll the weight down to your finger tips and curl the weight up with your fingers and slowly cock your wrist.
ii) Hang a weight from a bar with a rope and curl the weight up use overhand and under hand grip.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:20   #2163
BHPian
 
l_tejash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
It becomes highly difficult for a working professional to take that much protein from food and even supplements on a daily basis. It doesn't help further if you are a pure veggie :(

Yes, the amount of proteins I have mentioned is for a person who really doing his workouts seriously.
For vegetarians we do have Protein Shakes which do not contain animal products. How much you can trust them is a different issue all together as per my experience the diet is the most important factor, without a good diet not even the most perfect workout would help you build a good body
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:27   #2164
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai View Post
My wrist joint have severe pain while doing barbel curls . I can't do even a single rep .I am doing 5 min warmup and streching before doing any exercise. what should i do to cure this pain foreever. Can anyone help ?
please get your wrists checked by a doc, if necessary get a stress x-ray done - i once had partially torn ligaments in both wrists (maybe from one of my bike falls) and I did not realize till I had pain while working out in gym. Ligaments especially the in-operable partially torn types in a no-rest area like wrist take a long long time to heal, infact my doc said I can forget about working out for life! - it took me 2 years to recover, no gym, had even trouble writing engineering exams. However after 1.5 years of rest, i started mild exercises and when my home workouts graduated to the point of being able to do 50 pull-ups, I considered my wrists healed I cant lift really heavy like I used to, but I can do all exercises in the gym with moderately heavy weights and loads of reps and my doc is amazed at my recovery!

I pray its not a wrist ligament issue for you, maybe its carpel tunnel syndrome from computer usage, maybe its something very mild from the way you use your wrists day-to-day (bike, etc). But please don't risk and damage it further in the gym until a doc gives you a clean chit. Wrists are needed for all exercises, yes even in lifting the bar of the squat rack
No such thing as working through an injury - but yes as in all cases (and mine), at the right time exercise plays an important role in recovery and developing strenght.

Take care buddy!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:29   #2165
BHPian
 
l_tejash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Navpreet, of late, there have been MANY fakes circulating - everywhere in India.
PM me the place (or the name of the guy) where you bought it from and I will instantly let you know about the truth. What these scummers do; they buy the empty jars from the customers who have just finished their products, fill them up with flavored soy protein and re-sell it as imported one. 99% of the times, they are able to replicate only chocolate flavor since it's pretty easy and cheap to get.

The funniest part is that I used to read a lot of all the fake racket earlier and I used to buy my protein powder from one of the shops whos name was mentioned in the news paper. Personally I did not have any problems and their protein powders have done me good always when I have taken them. In fact they later came to know about the other supplier who had given their name in the paper as they had become the official agents of some co. which products my supplier was getting directly from the US and supplying for 3/4 the rate
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:45   #2166
BHPian
 
l_tejash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Q for all experts-

I started gymming again in may 09.
Currently am weighing - 87kgs and height is 6.2
Current body fat - 15.32%

When i started weight was more than 100 and BF - 22%

I believe i had hit a plateau off late as am not able to see much improvements.
Had decided to follow this routine and need suggestion for exercises to be included for each body part.

Day1- Chest+ triceps+ upper abs
Day2- Biceps + Shoulder + lower abs
Day3- Legs and Back

Kindly pour in your suggestions keeping in mind i will be doing 4 exercises of 3 sets each for each body part.

Also let me know if biceps + back and Shoulder + legs combination is better.

Thanks.

IMO your workouts need to be changed as your body has got used to your trainings.
Best is that you also include a lot of Cardiovascular workouts in your training before and after your workouts. When you do so you will be allowing more of oxygen in your body which will help growth also.

You can also try out what we call drop sets like when you are doing arm curls take one set of:
15 Reps of 25 lbs
12 Reps of 22.5 lbs
10 Reps of 20 lbs
8 Reps of 17.5 lbs
6 Reps of 15 lbs
(how many ever u can) Reps of 10 lbs
Above sets should be without taking rest in between sets

After this do 1 set of normal weight which you do daily for the growth
You will find an instant difference in your workouts.
Make sure you do not do this everyday or you will damage your muscles, you can take one major part of your body once per week, rest of the days do your routine workouts. Hope this will help

If someone is new to workouts please do not try the above training routine

Last edited by l_tejash : 31st October 2009 at 13:47. Reason: My post by mistake got linked to other posts which were not related to my post
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 14:17   #2167
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,795 Times
Default Isolation vs Multi-Joint Excercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
@Arka - I have heard that most people dont do biceps, triceps and forearms in one day, why is that and why do you suggest they be done n the same day?
Isolation Exercise Target one Major Muscle and develops it.

i.e Preacher Curls/Tricep Pull Down/Seated Row

Multi-joint exercise usually target the core (Stomach and Back & Legs), and emphasizes on stability and mobility.

i.e Standing DB Curls, Tricep Dips/ Bent Over Row/T-Bar Row

I think Isolation exercises work best as complimentary exercises to the Big-Lifts and are more suited to body-building.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 14:59   #2168
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 825 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Navpreet, of late, there have been MANY fakes circulating - everywhere in India.
PM me the place (or the name of the guy) where you bought it from and I will instantly let you know about the truth. What these scummers do; they buy the empty jars from the customers who have just finished their products, fill them up with flavored soy protein and re-sell it as imported one. 99% of the times, they are able to replicate only chocolate flavor since it's pretty easy and cheap to get.
Returned the whey and the dealer readily accepted it back too.going to order some from bodybuilding.com soon.i think thats the best way in india.

I was really surprised at the way these guys can make the whey fake.i mean a newbie cannot make out any difference at all.

i checked everything and this powder came out to be inferior in every way.it even had the chocolate powder not mixed in a uniform way.

Are there any specific flavours or whey's which cannot be available in the fake market.due to flavour or packaging etc.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 18:45   #2169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Navpreet, of late, there have been MANY fakes circulating - everywhere in India.
PM me the place (or the name of the guy) where you bought it from and I will instantly let you know about the truth. What these scummers do; they buy the empty jars from the customers who have just finished their products, fill them up with flavored soy protein and re-sell it as imported one. 99% of the times, they are able to replicate only chocolate flavor since it's pretty easy and cheap to get.
Hi 1-T,

I do my purchase from Hyderabad. Will you be able to tell
if a particular stockist here is keeping fake supplements?
I'll PM you the place I buy from, if you can.

Thanks!
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 00:19   #2170
BHPian
 
redeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Am finally squatting around 160 Pounds on the Smith Machine and Chest pressing 90 pounds on the same ( 100 with spotting ). My height is around 5'7 and my weight 63 Kgs. I usually have a 8 eight set rep , the weight increasing as the set goes up. For flat chest press and squats my sets go upto around 5 sets, while chest press on decline and Incline are restricted to only around 3. I seem to have hit a plateau in the weight i use for chest press. Oh well, there is always another day!
redeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 18:56   #2171
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
please get your wrists checked by a doc, if necessary get a stress x-ray done - i once had partially torn ligaments in both wrists (maybe from one of my bike falls) and I did not realize till I had pain while working out in gym. Ligaments especially the in-operable partially torn types in a no-rest area like wrist take a long long time to heal, infact my doc said I can forget about working out for life! - it took me 2 years to recover, no gym, had even trouble writing engineering exams. However after 1.5 years of rest, i started mild exercises and when my home workouts graduated to the point of being able to do 50 pull-ups, I considered my wrists healed I cant lift really heavy like I used to, but I can do all exercises in the gym with moderately heavy weights and loads of reps and my doc is amazed at my recovery!

I pray its not a wrist ligament issue for you, maybe its carpel tunnel syndrome from computer usage, maybe its something very mild from the way you use your wrists day-to-day (bike, etc). But please don't risk and damage it further in the gym until a doc gives you a clean chit. Wrists are needed for all exercises, yes even in lifting the bar of the squat rack
No such thing as working through an injury - but yes as in all cases (and mine), at the right time exercise plays an important role in recovery and developing strenght.

Take care buddy!


Thanks for your advice . I will surely consult a doctor .
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 23:57   #2172
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,341
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Returned the whey and the dealer readily accepted it back too.going to order some from bodybuilding.com soon.i think thats the best way in india.

I was really surprised at the way these guys can make the whey fake.i mean a newbie cannot make out any difference at all.

i checked everything and this powder came out to be inferior in every way.it even had the chocolate powder not mixed in a uniform way.

Are there any specific flavours or whey's which cannot be available in the fake market.due to flavour or packaging etc.
Hey, any idea how much % duty is charged on supplements?
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:30   #2173
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 825 Times
Default

Unconfirmed i have heard 50%.

1-test and a few others might be able to comment more on this.


By the way i wonder why vikram has stopped posting here.come on man we need your experience here.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:15   #2174
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Duty comes around to be 55% on total CIF value.
It's not practical to order protein powders from BB.com.
BB.com can be best used to order smaller, lighter products like Capsules/Tablets.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:11   #2175
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai View Post
My wrist joint have severe pain while doing barbel curls . I can't do even a single rep .I am doing 5 min warmup and streching before doing any exercise. what should i do to cure this pain foreever. Can anyone help ?
Get your tendons and wrist checked by physician.
And stop all lifting which involves arms/hands.

You may continue with leg press, leg curls, heel raise, abs.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks