Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th November 2009, 23:48   #2221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ move to whole wheat roti - naan is maida!
yeah i usually eat roti. How are rumali rotis? i had a few today for dinner along with some chicken curry.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:50   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Rumali rotis are also pure maida.
And so are most kulchas.

Maida rotis are white colored - and get rubbery when cold.
Whole wheat rotis get hard and flaky instead of getting rubbery.

Get some coarse flour like Ragi/Jowar/Bajra/etc (easily available at any market) and blend it with your regular wheat flour.

Gives a different taste, fills the stomach earlier, increases the fibre content.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th November 2009 at 12:51.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 19:53   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Unfortunetly i dont have time for breakfast in the mornings :(.
Try to eat breakfast everyday. In a month or so you will start seeing changes. For best results add a few egg whites in your breakfast; it keeps you satiated and reduces craving. If you are a foodie, the best time to have anything you love to indulge in is in the morning.
ashokrajagopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 16:56   #2224
BHPian

with regards to push-pull, for your upper body most chest, shoulder and triceps (cst) exercises are push exercises while the back and bicep (bb) exercises are pulling exercises.

if you are working out three days a week and wanna follow the push pull philosophy then here's what i suggest:

you could do cst on one day concentrating on lifting heavy for your incline/decline presses. being compound they would also work out your shoulder and triceps. follow them up with shoulder presses and decline close grip to completely fatigue your shoulders and triceps.

on back biceps day, do heavy bend over rows and deadlifts, lats and biceps.

keep the third day for legs. squats, lunges, standing/seated calves and leg curls for your hams.

i think this is as good a workout as any at the intermediate level.

On multivitamins i am sorely confused myself most of the times. most of the trainers at my gym propogate a combination intake of becosules, celin (vit c) and evion 400 (vit e, wheat germ, omega 3).

i am not sure how much supradyn, revital and supractive complete provide in comparison. supradyn is quite cheap at 16 bucks for 15 tabs. revital and supractiv are expensive at 6rs. a cap but come with the ginseng, green tea, caffeine etc. if you want something fancy
vishalpipraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 23:46   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Try to eat breakfast everyday. In a month or so you will start seeing changes. For best results add a few egg whites in your breakfast; it keeps you satiated and reduces craving. If you are a foodie, the best time to have anything you love to indulge in is in the morning.
problem is i dont cook and i dont know how to cook. Being a medical student is time consuming, to say the least :(. I used to drink milk in the morning and on the weekends i eat cereal. I stay up late to study or to do other things, and i wake up late...and my whole time in the morning is consumed of getting ready, getting dressed and getting to college on time..
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 09:08   #2226
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
problem is i dont cook and i dont know how to cook. Being a medical student is time consuming, to say the least :(. I used to drink milk in the morning and on the weekends i eat cereal. I stay up late to study or to do other things, and i wake up late...and my whole time in the morning is consumed of getting ready, getting dressed and getting to college on time..
I used to carry a protein shake to college ---- cold milk + eggs + chocolate + lecithin - don't put fruits in the drink though as it will get spoilt sooner
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:57   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
with regards to push-pull, for your upper body most chest, shoulder and triceps (cst) exercises are push exercises while the back and bicep (bb) exercises are pulling exercises.

if you are working out three days a week and wanna follow the push pull philosophy then here's what i suggest:

you could do cst on one day concentrating on lifting heavy for your incline/decline presses. being compound they would also work out your shoulder and triceps. follow them up with shoulder presses and decline close grip to completely fatigue your shoulders and triceps.

on back biceps day, do heavy bend over rows and deadlifts, lats and biceps.

keep the third day for legs. squats, lunges, standing/seated calves and leg curls for your hams.

i think this is as good a workout as any at the intermediate level.

On multivitamins i am sorely confused myself most of the times. most of the trainers at my gym propogate a combination intake of becosules, celin (vit c) and evion 400 (vit e, wheat germ, omega 3).

i am not sure how much supradyn, revital and supractive complete provide in comparison. supradyn is quite cheap at 16 bucks for 15 tabs. revital and supractiv are expensive at 6rs. a cap but come with the ginseng, green tea, caffeine etc. if you want something fancy
Thats exactly the workout regime i following and its a good one I feel.
I train at K11 managed gym and this is how my schedule looks:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulder Triceps
Chest:
Decline DB press
Incline DB press
Chest press using a machine
Pec Dec

Shoulders:
O/H DB press
Side lateral (db or machine)

Triceps:
Closed Grip bench press (This does not work for me so I do parallel bar dips)
Extension on the pulley

Day 2: Cardio

Day 3: Back and Biceps
Back:
Deadlift (done alternate weeks)
Bendover DB rows
Lat Pulley
Low Pulley
Shrugs
Rear Delts
Good morning (again done alternate weeks when not doing deadlifts)

Biceps:
Curls using the EZ Bar
Seat curls
Preacher Bar
Hammer

Day 4: Cardio

Day 5: Legs (the big daddy)

Squats (on power guage using olympic size bar, not smith)
Lunges
Step ups
Leg Press (I do uni lateral)
Leg Extension (optional)
Standing Calf
Seated Calf
Leg Curls (for hamstrings)

Day 6: Cardio

I have been following this with some variations but this week on I am back to this schedule, no deviations. Have hit a plateau of sorts, so will be concentrating to increase my cardio workouts now on.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 14:36   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know how much the Optimum fish oil caps cost here?
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:00   #2229
BHPian

I have'nt gone into supplements as yet but just a question which a friend of mine asked me to which i had no clue.

As mentioned earlier Casein Protein is a night time protein i.e. one is suppose to have before sleeping as its digestion is very slow and helps during the 8 hours of sleep (read starving). If one is suppose to take a post workout whey say about after the evening workout , then a meal, how long should one wait before taking the Casein protein.

OR

Is it advisable to take the Casein protein directly after the workout like a replacement to post workout shakes.

My questions could be wrongly framed but i hope somebody will get it right lols.

Thanks in advance.
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:03   #2230
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Is it advisable to take the Casein protein directly after the workout like a replacement to post workout shakes.
I have done this for quite sometime after my evening workouts - however i do this normally when I have a good 3-4 hrs till dinner.

Last edited by jassi : 12th November 2009 at 16:04.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:16   #2231
BHPian

Jassi otherwise would you advise to this step like in use the casein protein instead of post workout shakes?? or should the person invest in buying two different shakes just regular post workout whey and the Casein protein.??
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 19:56   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Yup. Most people here use revital. I believe Supradyn is probably even cheaper.
Cheaper it IS. For a reason.

Revital is from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I have done this for quite sometime after my evening workouts - however i do this normally when I have a good 3-4 hrs till dinner.
Not "advisable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Hi Guys,

What is the current price of Myofusion and Dymatize Elite 5 lbs. at
your respective places? I am going to buy one of the two in this week,
so just wanted to check out the prices.
2600/- for 5lbs.
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 20:22   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Jassi otherwise would you advise to this step like in use the casein protein instead of post workout shakes?? or should the person invest in buying two different shakes just regular post workout whey and the Casein protein.??
Milk contains plenty of Casein. Infact, Milk is nothing but 80% Casein and 20% Whey. Just mix 1 scoop of whey in milk and drink it anytime when you're looking for sustained release of protein->peptides->amino acids in your blood stream. Not only it is cheaper, it's better too. Most casein powders in market are nothing but cheap @SS sodium caseinates. Very few of them are miceller caseins (the absolute best casein available which contains plethora of IgB and IGF).
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 14:48   #2234
BHPian

Default fat burner

Guys,
Came across a fat burner called ECA stack. Has anyone heard/tried it? Can you please post your reviews on it?

I might want to try a fat burner for 1 cycle and see how it performs.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 16:15   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Guys,
Came across a fat burner called ECA stack. Has anyone heard/tried it? Can you please post your reviews on it?

I might want to try a fat burner for 1 cycle and see how it performs.

Regards
Well i haven't heard about the FAT BURNER named ECA stack.

Some famous names are Hydroxy cut,etc

Has helped me to come down from 94 kgs to 80 in just 3 months. Had no side effects,but it does strain the kidney till what i have heard.(it suited my body well)

Depends on how much you have to losses. If it ain't too much don't opt for fat burners,instead get a good diet (high protein) & a proper exercise routine.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote