Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 11:41   #3271
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

I have question about sqats and deadlift how much weight an intermediate level person should lift ? Also can deadlift and sqauts be done in same day ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Yes do squat which is good for mass gaining. I'm sure you must be having a routine fore all body parts workout as well. Drink lot of full creamer milk. You can start with half liter and increase intake gradually. Let us know how you feel i a month.
Though people say Sqat is for mass gaining actually it is a complex fully body exercise which activates gluts, quads, hamstrings ,clavs and abdominal muscles.
It also stis anabolic activity and helps to shed weight.

One word of caution is to keep the back straight and don't arch/flex else spine / back muscles may get hurt. and push the butt back rather then moving knees further then toes also knees should move in direction of toes else torsion can damage the knees. Weight should be on heels.
Watch lots of videos on youtube for correct posture before you attempt . Earlier I was experiencing pain in knees but after correcting the technique it is fine.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 13:26   #3272
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 958 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Yeah this vegan thing is really catching a lot these days. Avocado could be a good source for fat as most vegan guys recommend.

Can you highlight the benefits you are experiencing from the vegan approach?
KSM - Have always been a vegetarian. By vegan, what i am trying is to cut down on milk. its got nothing to do with any particular health benefit. just trying to minimise dependence on animal products - thats all
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 13:18   #3273
BHPian
 
vikash49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 137
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hi Guys,

I was 5'6", weighed 83 kilos and my body fat % was 29% when I joined a Gym a little over 4 months back.

For the first 2 months, I worked hard and concentrated mainly on loosing weight...and lost about 7+ kilos and dropped fat percentage to 24%.

Then got myself a Personal Trainer and for the last two months, have been following routine at the Gym:

Mon - Resistance Training - Back & Biceps
Tue - Cardio & Abs
Wed - Resistance Training - Shoulder & Triceps
Thu - Tabata / Circuit Training
Frid - Resistance Training - Chest & Legs Tabata
Sat - Boxing Training

In the last two months, I've more than doubled my overall body strength, as well as stamina, lost some inches, and even got some visible muscle gains, however, I've completely stopped loosing weight!

My ultimate goal was to be around 70-72kilos.... but with the above routine, I dont think I'll ever be able to reach my goal

What should I do? Is it not possible to continue loosing weight while gaining muscle mass??

I read up that taking WHEY Protien Shakes post workout helps gain muscle mass as well as lose fat. How true is this?
vikash49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:21   #3274
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
1. I have question about sqats and deadlift how much weight an intermediate level person should lift ?
2. Also can deadlift and sqauts be done in same day ?
1. As much as possible. Usually your squat figure will be 70-80% of your deadlift numbers.
For the actual numbers - check this out: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

2. Possible, but you will wear out once you are lifting heavy weights.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th February 2013 at 11:25.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:46   #3275
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1. As much as possible. Usually your squat figure will be 70-80% of your deadlift numbers.
For the actual numbers - check this out: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

2. Possible, but you will wear out once you are lifting heavy weights.
OK by the standard definition of this link I fall in category of untrained

As of now my squat weight is more then deadlift weight.

I am doing the following 2/3 times a week.

3 sets of squats first set with approx 50KG ( 40KG weight + 10Kg bar) for 16 reps , Second set with approx 60 KG around 12-15 reps and third set with 70KG with 12 reps.

Deadlift only approx 50 KG ( 3 sets of 12 -15) beyond that the posture /form starts deviating.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 14:12   #3276
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
OK by the standard definition of this link I fall in category of untrained

As of now my squat weight is more then deadlift weight.

I am doing the following 2/3 times a week.

3 sets of squats first set with approx 50KG ( 40KG weight + 10Kg bar) for 16 reps , Second set with approx 60 KG around 12-15 reps and third set with 70KG with 12 reps.

Deadlift only approx 50 KG ( 3 sets of 12 -15) beyond that the posture /form starts deviating.
As far as I have experienced - deadlifts are best done at low rep range. Higher reps are too draining on the entire body and brain and affects the form.

If your squat figures are higher than deadlifts - it usually means that you are doing half squats.
In squats your highest part of thigh should get parallel to the floor before rising. Usually this means your butts get lower than the knees. If there is a mirror - check that out.

Also note that the numbers given on that website are for 1 rep max, which is considerably higher than 10 rep or 20 rep weight.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th February 2013 at 14:14.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 21:39   #3277
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hey guys,

I have been working out regularly for a few months now. It is vacation time from tomorrow onwards but thankfully my hotel has a gym. Wanted to find out if carrying whey protein in a plastic container on which I have protein scribbled with a marker is safe?

I am leaving for Goa in about 10 hours from now and do not want to miss on my supplementation since I will be working out there too. I also do not wish to lose out on my 7-8 scoops that I've put in my container. I intend to carry it in the check in baggage and not on board. Looking forward for a quick answer.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 19th February 2013 at 21:41. Reason: typo
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 05:37   #3278
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Guys,

I was 5'6", weighed 83 kilos and my body fat % was 29% when I joined a Gym a little over 4 months back.

For the first 2 months, I worked hard and concentrated mainly on loosing weight...and lost about 7+ kilos and dropped fat percentage to 24%.

Then got myself a Personal Trainer and for the last two months, have been following routine at the Gym:

Mon - Resistance Training - Back & Biceps
Tue - Cardio & Abs
Wed - Resistance Training - Shoulder & Triceps
Thu - Tabata / Circuit Training
Frid - Resistance Training - Chest & Legs Tabata
Sat - Boxing Training

In the last two months, I've more than doubled my overall body strength, as well as stamina, lost some inches, and even got some visible muscle gains, however, I've completely stopped loosing weight!

My ultimate goal was to be around 70-72kilos.... but with the above routine, I dont think I'll ever be able to reach my goal

What should I do? Is it not possible to continue loosing weight while gaining muscle mass??

I read up that taking WHEY Protien Shakes post workout helps gain muscle mass as well as lose fat. How true is this?
1> Dieting is an important factor in losing weight.
start cutting your diet down slightly, just slightly.
do this over a period of time so that your body can get used to it.
and have a lot of fiber.

Things to note: Don't go below the 1500 calorie mark or you'll start losing muscle mass as well.
and don't go on a zero carb diet or some such cheat.
they are not sustainable and not particularly good for your health either.

2> Try changing your routine a Bit.
for cardio try some high intensity interval training.
start cycling.

Things to note:
again make a gradual change, it's easier for the body to manage and easier to make is sustainable.

3> A Whey protein supplement will help in rebuilding your muscles, hence improving muscle mass and strength.
everytime you do any exercise you experience muscle break down. Having a protein shake after a work out will increase the amount of protein in your system, aiding in your muscles recovery.

whey protein will not directly make you lose weight, but by increasing muscle mass and strength, you'll burn more calories and hence lose fat faster.

From personal experience I gathered the following.
1> I had put on a lot of weight because of my gluttony ways and supreme amounts of inactivity. [I peaked at around 105 KGs, the gluttony was because i just used to eat a lot and the supreme inactivity was because i had a slip disc].

2> I started managing my diet and started doing some light cardio
[Diet: went from having lots of pepsi to not so much pepsi and cut down my food intake by 60% over a period of 2 years. I still eat more than most of my friends]
[Exercise: when the back got finally fixed, after about a year of semi rest, I started playing Table Tennis and literally running after interns to get work done]
I dropped to 80KGs

3> Started cycling regularly, by which i mean about 3 times a week and about 10 km each time and i dropped to 70 Kgs.

4> Now i'm back to 80 Kgs, but that's because I'm lazy .

5> I've started Gymming and after 8 months of gymming with no benefit what so ever [combination of a bad diet and lack of sleep] i decided to start taking Iso pure. it's a zero carb whey protein supplement and in the past 3 and a half months i have almost doubled the weights i used to do earlier. [I also get better sleep now [quit my job and all]

I do no cardio [because it's boring] and no legs [because i have to get surgery on my right knee for some pretty drastic inuries]

when my knee is fixed i will start running [football] and working out my legs again. that's when i will drop down to about 55 - 60 Kgs.

PS. I'm 5'7" and 30 years old

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 20th February 2013 at 05:42. Reason: General retardation
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 07:08   #3279
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Guys,

I was 5'6", weighed 83 kilos and my body fat % was 29% when I joined a Gym a little over 4 months back.

For the first 2 months, I worked hard and concentrated mainly on loosing weight...and lost about 7+ kilos and dropped fat percentage to 24%.

Then got myself a Personal Trainer and for the last two months, have been following routine at the Gym:

Mon - Resistance Training - Back & Biceps
Tue - Cardio & Abs
Wed - Resistance Training - Shoulder & Triceps
Thu - Tabata / Circuit Training
Frid - Resistance Training - Chest & Legs Tabata
Sat - Boxing Training

In the last two months, I've more than doubled my overall body strength, as well as stamina, lost some inches, and even got some visible muscle gains, however, I've completely stopped loosing weight!

My ultimate goal was to be around 70-72kilos.... but with the above routine, I dont think I'll ever be able to reach my goal

What should I do? Is it not possible to continue loosing weight while gaining muscle mass??

I read up that taking WHEY Protien Shakes post workout helps gain muscle mass as well as lose fat. How true is this?
You're slightly going off here. Weight also includes muscle gain and a weighing scale is not a indicator of fat loss. It may be including the muscle gain and hence the stagnant weight on the scale. I don't think there's anything wrong except the fact that you're looking at it the wrong way. You should focus on fat % loss and not on your weight. You may be building lean muscle tissue and at the same time losing fat. A good indicator would be measuring your waist size and trying on old clothes. There is absolutely nothing to worry about my friend. Picture of an image of how lean you want to be and achieve it without bothering about the scale.

Whey protein along with other supplements are just that. They 'supplement' your work out. However before you switch on to proteins you need to know which ones you require. A little research is helpful. For your cause I would suggest Isopure since it has zero carbs. Like me you can take ON's GOLD Standard but then I do 15 minutes of running everyday and I do weights 5-6 days a week. Try including 10 minutes of running in your warm up/cool down everyday and you'll know the weight is in check. Also supplements can increase weight gain because of the calories unless you work out enough which in your case seems adequate.

To avoid further confusion I suggest you read up www.bodybuilding.com
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:16   #3280
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been working out regularly for a few months now. It is vacation time from tomorrow onwards but thankfully my hotel has a gym. Wanted to find out if carrying whey protein in a plastic container on which I have protein scribbled with a marker is safe?

I am leaving for Goa in about 10 hours from now and do not want to miss on my supplementation since I will be working out there too. I also do not wish to lose out on my 7-8 scoops that I've put in my container. I intend to carry it in the check in baggage and not on board. Looking forward for a quick answer.
Of course it is safe. Liquids above 100 ml are "not allowed". And all restrictions are placed only on hand baggage.
If you are asking with respect to whether the temperature and pressure conditions in the airplane's luggage bay will deteriorate the protein powder - no it won't. Low temperature and low pressure is actually beneficial.

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th February 2013 at 11:18.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:31   #3281
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Of course it is safe. Liquids above 100 ml are "not allowed". And all restrictions are placed only on hand baggage.
If you are asking with respect to whether the temperature and pressure conditions in the airplane's luggage bay will deteriorate the protein powder - no it won't. Low temperature and low pressure is actually beneficial.
Thanks Alpha. I succesfully carried my whey but I can't say I've been working out too much in Goa. Anyway was able to carry whey in check in baggage in a plastic container. No hassles at all.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:52   #3282
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,648
Thanked: 8,673 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Nitrotech's "new" Performance series any reviews guys ?

I just purchased a 4 lbs pack
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 17:09   #3283
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Nitrotech's "new" Performance series any reviews guys ?

I just purchased a 4 lbs pack
No idea. I would suggest going through bodybuilding forums and you tube reviews. Can't go wrong with forums with people treating it like a progress log.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 13:39   #3284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hi,

There seems to be a shortage of Optimum Nutrition whey protein in the online stores in India, am based in bangalore, any idea where I can source them asap??
Khodays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 15:09   #3285
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Hi,

There seems to be a shortage of Optimum Nutrition whey protein in the online stores in India, am based in bangalore, any idea where I can source them asap??
Try and see if you have any neulife stores in Bangalore. They are certified ON sellers.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks