Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 19:15   #3616
Newbie
 
Praveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 16
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
One can say they are deficient in protein intake simply by calculating the quantity and type of food that they are consuming in a day. Now this is based on the assumption that they need x gms of protein per day.

Your argument, if I've understood correctly, is that how does one arrive at the protein requirement.

I'll attempt to answer by saying that deficiency can (and should) only be concluded when lack of that substance is causing a negative effect on the body. In my early 25 years of life I hardly ate more than 40-50 gms of protein per day (may be even lesser) and I never had any issues.

However, if my objective is to gain muscle and I'm not able to do so but when I increase the protein intake I'm able to gain muscle then it should be safe to say that my diet was protein deficient. Its not that my body had protein deficiency, may be my body still needed the same amount of protein but when compared to my objective, the diet becomes protein deficient.
Well said. But I feel to gain muscles one should have excess calories than TDEE and not necessarily excess protein. I maybe wrong though.

Thank you
Praveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 19:24   #3617
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveer View Post
Well said. But I feel to gain muscles one should have excess calories than TDEE and not necessarily excess protein. I maybe wrong though.

Thank you
Calories from protein I reckon. Else I might have ample calories from maple syrup but that's not going to get me any muscles because fat isn't going to repair the broken fibres in muscles. Its a balance of course, not just protein but alpha's question was more around how we would call it protein deficiency.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 19:49   #3618
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 210
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

An average adult (not bodybuilder) requires about 56 (0.8 gm per kg body weight) gm protein per day. A pregnant woman needs about 71 gm per day. Some who is 40+ should increase the protein intake to replenish for muscle loss.

If you want to build muscles, as I have read on various sites, one should consume 1 gm per body weight in pound. And going by the recommended daily dosage (which is maintenance level) I don't think it is bro science. More so because sports science has developed to such an extent that today one can calculate macro requirements to the T and according to different sports.

Hope it helps.
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 20:04   #3619
Newbie
 
Praveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 16
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Calories from protein I reckon. Else I might have ample calories from maple syrup but that's not going to get me any muscles because fat isn't going to repair the broken fibres in muscles. Its a balance of course, not just protein but alpha's question was more around how we would call it protein deficiency.
I agree. But carbs also important as they are the main source of energy for the body. What I meant was that all the macros should be adjusted accordingly to build muscles and not alone protein.

Thanks
Praveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:03   #3620
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
An average adult (not bodybuilder) requires about 56 (0.8 gm per kg body weight) gm protein per day. A pregnant woman needs about 71 gm per day. Some who is 40+ should increase the protein intake to replenish for muscle loss.

If you want to build muscles, as I have read on various sites, one should consume 1 gm per body weight in pound. And going by the recommended daily dosage (which is maintenance level) I don't think it is bro science. More so because sports science has developed to such an extent that today one can calculate macro requirements to the T and according to different sports.

Hope it helps.
There is a reason why I call it bro science.
When RDA recommendations are made - they are made for an average adult. But even then, when you are below the recommended RDA "dosage", do you show symptoms of protein deficiency? Not in most cases. So are you really being protein deficient?

I gave an example of similar sacred daily calorific requirement figure of something about 2500 kcal. Hello, do you know what? There is a significantly high number of people who would put on fat with that much calories (mostly because of screwed T3 and T4 levels).

There is also a considerable numbers who will start looking like starved Somalians if they follow advices of such sacred texts (again because of hyper active metabolism).

So the point is that the numbers spewed out by the holy texts do not help anyone. Perhaps they might give a starting guidance. But it will not help one reach his goals.
###

So what about the 1 g per lb of bodyweight recommendation? Where did it originate from? The protein supplement companies.
Did you see one funny thing. The protein dosage is measured in grams.
The body weight is measured in pounds!
Because in the US of A - the food macro-nutrients are measures in grams (not ounces or drachms or grains). But the bodyweight is measured in pounds. Give a handy figure to the public, and keep repeating the stuff till it becomes the undisputed accepted truth.

Besides, ANY protein intake recommendation for an athlete or a bodybuilder has to ABSOLUTELY depend on the existing muscle mass and the base Testosterone (or if it is being supplemented by d-bol, winny, tren/fina or even T - whatever that choice may be). By the way, the existing muscle mass is also dependent on the base hormone levels.

People with low levels of anabolism will never ever be able to utilize proteins as effectively as people with high levels (whether the high levels are natural = genetic, or after supplementation). So then why would you want these people to eat as much proteins as a person with high level of anabolism?
Haha, that's because I am a protein supplement company, and I make about $1 billion. If the people think about all this and realize that it's all hokum, I would never be able to make as much money!

###

Funny that you bring in sports science here. Do you know that most of the sports person (in the US of A / China / Russia / Bulgaria / etc) have done a lot of cycles by the time they leave their schools (not based on any statistics, but based on internet forums which dwell on the dark side called steroids - so I may be wrong about "most")? Besides, to begin with they were genetic superiors, that's why they performed well and chose their fields. Try doing one of weightlifting programs being used by the Olympics sportsmen. In a month (or perhaps few) one would be compelled to resort to steroids. Because the body simply cannot recover. And why can it not recover? Not because the protein intake was low. But because the body never knew what to do with all the protein. Anabolic hormones direct the muscles to use the proteins floating in the blood stream.


fine69 was on to something when he said
Quote:
if my objective is to gain muscle and I'm not able to do so but when I increase the protein intake I'm able to gain muscle then it should be safe to say that my diet was protein deficient.
But the problem is that you will never know whether the lack of gain of muscles is because of protein deficiency, or because one is using a training program that olympics champions use (and doesn't allow enough recovery)

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th May 2014 at 11:08.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:49   #3621
BHPian
 
yaseenar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BLR, TCR
Posts: 66
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Now finally a thread where I can give some expert advice

I have been lifting weights on and off since college. Natural bodybuilding consists of 2 phases: Bulking and cutting. I say natural because if you are using steroids or GH then it is possible to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time(but it is very bad for you unless you are competing and is under expert supervision) but If done naturally then it is not possible to loose fat and gain muscle except for the first few months(called noob gains). Taking supplements is still considered as Natural bodybuilding as supplements are just like Horlicks and Complan the difference being these supplement an adult's food especially someone who is lifting. Supplements are not necessary if you are having enough food and hitting your daily calories and macros.

Now let me explain bulking and cutting. Bulking is the phase when you try to gain muscle by eating more calories than what your body needs. There are 2 types of bulking: clean bulking and dirty bulking. Clean bulking is when you try to gain muscle by keeping the fat gain to the minimum. When bulking clean you have less than 500 calorie surplus but when you try to minimize the fat gain then even the muscle gaining is slow. If you want to gain weight and muscle fast then you must dirty bulk which is having more than 500 calorie surplus but this leads to more fat gain as well. Cutting is the phase when you try to get shredded by losing your body fat. Naturally it is not possible to gain muscle during this phase but you should try to retain as much as muscle as possible. The more muscle you have, the easier it is to cut down the fat because what muscles do is burn fat even when you are idle. When you are cutting, you may start looking bigger when pumped because when you lose fat and have cuts the muscles appear to be bigger than they are!

About supplements: 2-3 years back I used to have supplements especially during my cut. Whey protein, Protein blends, Creatine, Intra-workout BCAA, OxyElite Pro etc. but now I have completely stopped taking them as my family is against it. To be frank, rather than placebo and pumps during my workout I do not see that much of a difference if you are having enough food hitting your macros, nutrients and calorie requirements!

I am clean bulking now and from next month I will start cutting till my marriage which is in august

Hit me up with any questions if you have!

A picture of me when cut
Attached Images
 
yaseenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 18:34   #3622
BHPian
 
createrkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hello dear experts. I really really need some help here. My story somewhat goes like this. I just turned 18 a couple of days ago and I really want to start working out. I have this craze to bodybuild. And I'm not one of those who wants to do it just for glory or show. I am dedicated to actually working my butt off to get a decent amount of visible muscle gain. My current build is moderate, not too bulky nor too thin, my height is 5'10" barefoot. I'm about to hit the gym tomorrow and I need some serious advice. Please do help. What are supplements? Do I need them? What kind of workout do I do and what weights do I lift? Should I run on the treadmill? What kind of diet do I need to be on? I would literally appreciate anyone who could help me out. I have two months to do some hard core gymming. My college starts afterwards but nonetheless, I'd continue to work out but not as much as I would these two months.

And do ab exercises interfere while bodybuilding?

Need serious advice for an 18 year old gym rookie. Thanks in advance guys :-)

Btw will anyone go through this link and tell me which one could potentially help me? http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner.html

Last edited by createrkid : 29th May 2014 at 18:49.
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 20:27   #3623
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

http://www.healthkart.com/pages/auth...thenticity.jsp

I'm not sure whether this existed about 7-8 months back when I went to Neulife to get my Dymatize Whey but I checked on the brand website as well and it lists Healthkart as their authorized international distributor.

Would it now make more sense to buy from Healthkart than Neulife if the rates online are better?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 20:48   #3624
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Hello dear experts. I really really need some help here. My story somewhat goes like this. I just turned 18 a couple of days ago and I really want to start working out. I have this craze to bodybuild.

And do ab exercises interfere while bodybuilding?

Need serious advice for an 18 year old gym rookie. Thanks in advance guys :-)

Btw will anyone go through this link and tell me which one could potentially help me? http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner.html
Not an expert but..
You need to find a good gym and a good instructor. As you read through various sites, you'll learn how compound exercises are the key to strength training. But in all those articles, there will be just a minor, barely noticeable mention of the dangers of these exercises if you dont do them the right way. That danger is something that a trainer can help you avoid.

Also, a good trainer will be able to assess the effect of various workouts and pick one that suits you the most.

Just keep a few things in mind:
1. Spot training is a myth.
2. The shape and size of your muscles is largely guided by your genes
3. Watch your diet.

Have fun!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 15:43   #3625
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

What is this recent craze on facebook about a 30 Day Ab Challenge? Everyone i know and their uncle seems to be "going" to this event. I looked at it and it is ridiculous! Here it is:

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-30day.jpg

You are supposed to go from:
15 sit ups
5 crunches
5 leg raises
10 second plank

TO
125 situps
200 crunches
65 leg raises
120 second plank

in just 30 days!! This is called setting yourself up to failure, and then getting disappointed.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 15:47   #3626
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Even if all people are able to do it unless someone is already very low on body fat their abs aren't going to show. If someone thinks they can go from 20-30%+ body fat to showing off their abs without cardio in 30 days, well....all the best!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 19:01   #3627
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What is this recent craze on facebook about a 30 Day Ab Challenge? Everyone i know and their uncle seems to be "going" to this event. I looked at it and it is ridiculous! Here it is:

You are supposed to go from:
15 sit ups
5 crunches
5 leg raises
10 second plank

TO
125 situps
200 crunches
65 leg raises
120 second plank

in just 30 days!! This is called setting yourself up to failure, and then getting disappointed.

I see so many people in my gym doing almost the same thing everyday. (Even the malnourished looking ones).

I have not seen anyone of those sporting a 6 pack!

Last edited by aah78 : 30th May 2014 at 19:12. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Removing racist comment.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:52   #3628
BHPian
 
yaseenar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BLR, TCR
Posts: 66
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

I see so many people in my gym doing almost the same thing everyday. (Even the malnourished looking ones).

I have not seen anyone of those sporting a 6 pack!
lol! That's cuz abs are made in the kitchen!

Unless you are having low bf% or unless your abdominal muscles are big and thick, they won't show!

On the bright side, if they are eating in excess(which most probably they are) and doing that workout they are most likely to built some abs and strengthen their core to some extend. (they may not get the 6 pack abs they want though)
yaseenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:29   #3629
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
lol! That's cuz abs are made in the kitchen!

Unless you are having low bf% or unless your abdominal muscles are big and thick, they won't show!

On the bright side, if they are eating in excess(which most probably they are) and doing that workout they are most likely to built some abs and strengthen their core to some extend. (they may not get the 6 pack abs they want though)
I think the second point is AS important as the first one (about diet/body fat).

I have seen many Yoga practitioners, aerobic instructors , with lithe and lean body, thin skin but you still can't see the ripples in the abs. This is the case with women especially.

I believe there is a huge genetic angle to this. People have naturally larger muscles with larger bellies compared to others. This applies as much to abs as it applies to biceps (or for that matter any other muscle). These people start looking impressive with just few months of training, whereas someone else may train properly for decades yet nowhere close to show the same result.

Which means that one may come down to 5% bodyfat levels, but still not harbor that impressive 6 pack or 8 pack. But the same guy with a few cycles of winny may immediately start looking like Brad Pitt (only talking about the abs).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 20:57   #3630
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,575
Thanked: 904 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Most of the protein rich foods i eat like eggs ,cheese,nuts etc causes what is called "heat" or hives on my face.As a result i have to reduce consumption of the above or totally stop having them.What can be the workaround for same ? Any ideas why the heat things come up in the first place ? Can drinking gallons of water be a remedy to same ?

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks