Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 15:17   #4216
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Please shed light on this transformation especially how to get those massive deltoids.


Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 16:44   #4217
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Please shed light on this transformation especially how to get those massive deltoids.
It rhymes with deltoids! Gaining the kind of muscle he did at his age, its a no brainer.

I wouldn't take away the credit for the hard work he would've put in but I think by now we all understand how this works unless you are asking for routine that works deltoids better, which again I wonder why somebody learned like you would.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 19:01   #4218
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Very happy to report that I have finally achieved my target of getting my weight below 200lb! Body fat is at 19%, but measured using weighing machine. I doubt it is accurate but it has consistently shown the number moving in the right direction slowly and steadily.
At 6'3, i think i can live with this number.
Phew! Nearly 6 months down and I have lost another 10 pounds and body fat is at 17.5%
New Goal: 15% body fat.

Why? Just because...
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 19:20   #4219
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Primary focus is on building bigger biceps/triceps/shoulders/back and chest and flat tummy.

I do one body part each day like chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, shoulder on Wednesday, triceps on Thursday and biceps on Friday. Each day I do about 10 minutes of treadmill or cycling before starting exercises.
My current body weight is 80 and I am 6". Two months back I was 82-83. I sleep for 5-6 hours on working days and 7-8 hours on weekends/holidays.

Any further suggestions on the diet along with workout program? Is 16 eggs a week more than enough? I guess an egg white has 4 grams of protein.
It is hard to suggest mainly because every body reacts differently to change. What works for you may not work for another. But having said that, I would say
1. You look a little light on your lunch.
2. Eat fruit, instead of fruit juice.
3. Add nuts to your diet.
4. Don't throw out the egg yolk. It is fine to eat that. But 16 eggs might be a bit too much. Replace with milk.

On your workouts, I'd think you are wasting Thursday and Friday by focusing on biceps and triceps. Also, I dont see anything for legs! If you are just starting out on working out, then focus more on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, push ups, pull ups and bench presses. If not, even then focus more on compound exercises

It might help to give more definition to your goals. Why do you want bigger biceps/triceps/chest etc etc? Bigger isn't always better. Besides, how big those muscles will grow is driven primarily by genes. You might be able to go against your genes but I think it will take a lot of time, effort and discipline. Or steroids

Why not take up some sports and try to build your workouts around that? Just a suggestion...
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 22:30   #4220
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

I am 5'10" and my weight has reduced from ~75Kg to ~65Kg with a combination of diet an exercise. Been nursing a shoulder injury for about 6 months and not doing any weight training apart from some dumbbell exercises (5 Kg) and most of the weight loss can be attributed to swimming.

The issue I am facing is, even after the weight loss, the fat around my tummy doesn't seem to go away. More specifically, it is the fat on the sides and back that is bothering me. How do I lose fat without losing any further weight loss?

Did some reading and the suggestion is to go on a calorie deficit diet while maintaining high protein intake. How much protein intake I should aim for? The numbers vary significantly across websites.

I am a vegetarian, and can't digest milk. Currently I take protein supplement (28 gm per serving) on workout days and probably one egg white on the other days.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 22:46   #4221
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The issue I am facing is, even after the weight loss, the fat around my tummy doesn't seem to go away. More specifically, it is the fat on the sides and back that is bothering me. How do I lose fat without losing any further weight loss?

Did some reading and the suggestion is to go on a calorie deficit diet while maintaining high protein intake. How much protein intake I should aim for? The numbers vary significantly across websites.

I am a vegetarian, and can't digest milk. Currently I take protein supplement (28 gm per serving) on workout days and probably one egg white on the other days.
Belly fat is the most difficult fat to get rid of. And no, you can't lose fat without weight loss
But do you know where you've lost the 10 kg from?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 23:18   #4222
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But do you know where you've lost the 10 kg from?
That is a difficult question. I have lost fat across the body and definitely from belly and I suppose some muscle too since I have not been doing heavy weights for over six months.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 00:18   #4223
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
That is a difficult question. I have lost fat across the body and definitely from belly and I suppose some muscle too since I have not been doing heavy weights for over six months.
So, you just got to keep doing what you have been doing! Losing those love handles and getting a flat tummy is probably the last fruit you'll get on this journey. You've just got to be patient and keep at it.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 00:38   #4224
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,139 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It is hard to suggest mainly because every body reacts differently to change. What works for you may not work for another. But having said that, I would say
1. You look a little light on your lunch.
2. Eat fruit, instead of fruit juice.
3. Add nuts to your diet.
4. Don't throw out the egg yolk. It is fine to eat that. But 16 eggs might be a bit too much. Replace with milk.
1. Light on lunch because I want to cut down on carbs to let my belly fat shed a bit. I am focussing on getting as much protein through natural diet as possible. When eggs are not available, I go for sprouts or raw paneer.

2. Often I take fruit salad in office.

3. Cashew & Badaam are daily intakes, almost.

4. I throw out egg yolk just to minimise fat intake as much as possible as I am having tough time getting a flat belly.

Quote:

On your workouts, I'd think you are wasting Thursday and Friday by focusing on biceps and triceps. Also, I dont see anything for legs! If you are just starting out on working out, then focus more on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, push ups, pull ups and bench presses. If not, even then focus more on compound exercises

It might help to give more definition to your goals. Why do you want bigger biceps/triceps/chest etc etc? Bigger isn't always better. Besides, how big those muscles will grow is driven primarily by genes. You might be able to go against your genes but I think it will take a lot of time, effort and discipline. Or steroids
I am focusing on biceps/triceps because I guess they are my weakest areas. I cant do dumbells over 7.5 kgs for biceps triceps single handed. Though I hardly can lift over 20 kgs altogether in any type of exercise - be it chest, back or others. I see other guys lifting upto 40-50 kgs easily!

Quote:
Why not take up some sports and try to build your workouts around that? Just a suggestion...
Hardly get a chance to play outdoor sports ever since joined IT industry. I usually do brisk walk walk for 20 mins in the evening with aim of shedding belly fat.


Now I might be doing it the wrong way, but to motivate my self, I say lets do it, better something than nothing.

My area of focus - flat belly and overall strong body with nice chest, broad shoulders, bigger biceps/triceps. Am I asking too much?

PS - Still confused whether to go supplements way or not! But when I see those bulky guys drinking protein shakes after gym having 16-18" biceps/triceps, I feel like Why can't I!
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 01:38   #4225
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Though I hardly can lift over 20 kgs altogether in any type of exercise - be it chest, back or others.
This alone indicates you first need to build overall strength. Doing bench presses and lat pull downs will involve other muscles as well. Squats and deadlifts engage your core as well.

How old are you?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 07:44   #4226
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,139 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This alone indicates you first need to build overall strength. Doing bench presses and lat pull downs will involve other muscles as well. Squats and deadlifts engage your core as well.

How old are you?
25 at the time of writing this piece of text
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 10:45   #4227
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Please shed light on this transformation especially how to get those massive deltoids.
;-) There are only two ways:
1. Genetics
2. "Supplements" that enhance the genetic makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
It rhymes with deltoids! Gaining the kind of muscle he did at his age, its a no brainer.
At ANY age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The issue I am facing is, even after the weight loss, the fat around my tummy doesn't seem to go away. More specifically, it is the fat on the sides and back that is bothering me. How do I lose fat without losing any further weight loss?
I am sorry to inform you that you will have to lose more weight in order to lose more fat. There is no other way to go. Not everyone was meant to sport six pack from birth. Blame your parents and your self (genetics is not 100% inherited, there are always individual mutations).

Quote:
Did some reading and the suggestion is to go on a calorie deficit diet while maintaining high protein intake. How much protein intake I should aim for? The numbers vary significantly across websites.

I am a vegetarian, and can't digest milk. Currently I take protein supplement (28 gm per serving) on workout days and probably one egg white on the other days.
Baloney and lies spread by media and their sponsors. Refer what I wrote in response to Bluevolt on the previous page.

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th June 2016 at 10:48.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 19:07   #4228
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
25 at the time of writing this piece of text
What I'd give to be 25 again! Sigh!

I don't think you need to focus too much on your diet at this age. Your metabolism will take care of your fat vs muscle balance. Just move your focus away from isolation exercises like curls etc to compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses etc. If you feel your back is not able to support the weight, then add core strengthening exercises like deadbugs, side chops, planks. Avoid sit ups.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 12:02   #4229
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
;-) There are only two ways:
1. Genetics
2. "Supplements" that enhance the genetic makeup
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
It rhymes with deltoids!
At times one feels like that in spite of all the understandings that a magic potion (oops)... that did not include steroid were available.

One question
Can squat workout lead to soreness in the calves?

Little background
The max I have squatted with was 190 pounds (including barbell) for 4 reps last year. The schedule that I followed was Max OT and very high diet. However, the weight I have been most comfortable was 175 pounds.

Of late, I have been eating less to lose weight and following 5x5. Monday, I squatted with 165 pounds. Next day while running I felt severe soreness in both the calf muscles. Walking another five minutes and the soreness was gone. Then Wednesday evening after completing the schedule that included squats (170 pounds), military press and deadlift the soreness in calf was back with vengeance and the entire next day I had terrible time walking. This morning onwards things are improving.

The entire experience has left me wondering - why has squats led to DOMS in calves with this particular schedule?

To everyone starting weight training
My advise, rather it's what Arnold has written in his tome, keep your diet normal sans junk food, pick up a basic schedule (5 sets of 12, 9, 6, 4, 2 reps with incremental weight increase in each set) concentrating more on correct execution (form) for three-six months. And once the basics are mastered move on.

One of the classic pitfalls of dieting is the virtual extermination of fats, which results in low testosterone level that leads to reduction in muscle building capacity.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 17th June 2016 at 12:07.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 12:18   #4230
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,234
Thanked: 13,980 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

I never diet, probably because of a proverb in my native tongue. It says "one who cheats his stomach, will cheat anybody...".

So I focus on workout.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks