Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 15:35   #4381
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
What your macros look like?
100 g Protein.
170 g Carb.
Fat may be 40-50 g.

Roughly 1600 cal.

That's what the excel sheet reads.
Fast once a week (only dinner).
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:03   #4382
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
100 g Protein.
170 g Carb.
Fat may be 40-50 g.

Roughly 1600 cal.

That's what the excel sheet reads.
Fast once a week (only dinner).
Thank You. Are you using any supplements to hit protein goals?
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:14   #4383
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Thank You. Are you using any supplements to hit protein goals?
No. First, they are very costly. And second I am not a professional. The last two sentences I have written just to fill in the minimum word requirement of a TBHP post.

Yes, I do try to keep my diet wholesome and varied.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 8th November 2016 at 16:16.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 20:08   #4384
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Any opinions on this article?
If it weren't for the fact that two young men unnecessarily lost their lives due to ignorance and negligence, this would actually be quite funny. Samurai has given the right reasons. But I guess, "drowned because they didn't know how to swim" would not make for a sensational news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
1. Considering my background, journey and goal (which is to stay Lean but get Stronger), is it correct for me to consider ISOPURE / Protein supplements at this stage and age?

2. If the answer to the previous is question is Yes - then is ISOPURE the correct choice of product and where to procure it from to avoid counterfeit? What are my alternatives?

3. What about BCAA? From whatever I have been able to read up, I couldn't find any bad or side effects, and most scientific studies (not body building websites) reported positive results. What's your experience personally, and over the years?

4. What precautions do I need to employ? Any other advice?
1. Try for yourself and see. It is a very YMMV kind of thing.
2. I have tried ISOPURE's zero carb proteins. It is quite good just by the fact that it is zero carb. Can't help you with where to procure it from though
3. BCAAs: I generally dont consume anything except water during workouts. Only exception is when I am on long bike rides. I keep a bottle of gatorade for those.
4. Precautions: It is more to do with your body aches. Have you been increasing weights or intensity constantly? If yes, then dial it down a little.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 12:58   #4385
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Honestly I don't agree with that.
Very slow cut(300 Calorie Deficit) while trying to maintain your lifts and then a long conservative lean bulk (300 calorie surplus) will surely bring your fat % down.
There is no harm in trudging the path and observing.
But there has to be some soul searching here ... why do you believe in what you have written?
Quote:
Are you talking about increasing the anabolic hormones by using gear or naturally?
There is a very definite reason why people take gear.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 14:26   #4386
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi amitoj,
.
.
.
Thank You for replying.
Are you trying to say to say that an individual at 72 Kgs with 18% body fat will look same at 72 Kgs with say 12% body fat?
During my college days I used to be 74-75 and as of today I am 73 and I can tell by comparing the pictures that now I look much athletic with bigger arms , smaller waist and better overall upper body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
There is no harm in trudging the path and observing.
But there has to be some soul searching here ... why do you believe in what you have written?

There is a very definite reason why people take gear.
I believe in it because I have experienced this myself.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th November 2016 at 18:38. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts. Thanks!
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 15:12   #4387
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Dear all, I had this recurring pain in my left knee and diagnosed with early osteoarthritis. My ortho doctor suggested not to do treadmill or any exercise which demands much from knees. He advised morning walk as exercise routine. But I don't have time both for morning walk and gym. Can someone suggest any other exercise for CV?
Has your doctor also advised you to take Vitamin D, B12 and Calcium suppements? I was starting to see issues with my sacroiliac joint and these supplements have vastly improved them.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 15:17   #4388
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Any opinions on this article?

Was the stuntmen's low-carb diet to blame for Masti Gudi tragedy?



http://www.newindianexpress.com/ente...y-1536056.html
I think the lake itself was quite dirty and heavily silted. Even the locals, reportedly, never swim there. Jump from a height and got stuck in the silt?
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 10:39   #4389
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I believe in it because I have experienced this myself.
You mean you were 72kg@18% fat in college (lifting weights) and today you are now 72kg@12% fat (still lifting weights), and you expect that few rounds of further cutting and bulking will bring you to 72kg@<10% fat (continue lifting weights)?
And your height is about 172 cm.

You are already at top notch condition man.
For a guy to be at 12% bodyfat usually means having some/all part of 6-pack visible.
For a guy to be 72kg at 172cm with that low bodyfat means incredible muscularity that is naturally possible.
Which sadly also means that you have approached the limit.

But I am surprised: when you say 300 kcal deficit or 300 kcal surplus - what is the base reference (TDEE if you prefer)? Doesn't the base reference itself change with your mass?

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th November 2016 at 10:46.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 11:07   #4390
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,553
Thanked: 774 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I think the lake itself was quite dirty and heavily silted. Even the locals, reportedly, never swim there. Jump from a height and got stuck in the silt?
Another fact to consider is that since they workout during shoots, his muscles would have been tired and would become stiff with bit of flapping around the arms with no expertise in swimming and panicking.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th November 2016 at 11:08.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 14:42   #4391
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You mean you were 72kg@18% fat in college (lifting weights) and today you are now 72kg@12% fat (still lifting weights), and you expect that few rounds of further cutting and bulking will bring you to 72kg@<10% fat (continue lifting weights)?
And your height is about 172 cm.

You are already at top notch condition man.
For a guy to be at 12% bodyfat usually means having some/all part of 6-pack visible.
For a guy to be 72kg at 172cm with that low bodyfat means incredible muscularity that is naturally possible.
Which sadly also means that you have approached the limit.

But I am surprised: when you say 300 kcal deficit or 300 kcal surplus - what is the base reference (TDEE if you prefer)? Doesn't the base reference itself change with your mass?
I was using fat % numbers as an example. I am not sure what my fat % was during college days and what it is today.

I din't have access to dexa scan at that time and now I don't want to waste 7-8K for it. I am not sure about the fat calipers. Maybe they are extremely accurate but somehow I don't trust them.

What I meant was that during my college days my weight was almost same as of today but now I look way muscular and overall better upper body.
I used to have chicken legs during my college days and continue to have identical legs today. That is the only part which didn't change.

My upper 2 abdominal muscles are visible but I carry significant fat on my lower belly and chest.
I posted my pics in bodybuilding.com for body fat % estimation and everyone thought it is between 12-14%.

Yes I want to be at 10-11 %. I don't think I have approached the limit because I know I can train and diet better.
Diet part is what bothers me as I fail over and over again.

Based on my age , gender , height , weight and activity level my daily calorie requirement should be 1900 or something close.

Like mentioned before I try to eat 1600 per day by following below mentioned macros.

P:160
C : 120
F : 53

I started my cut around 6 months back and I am not able to hit the macros even for one single day.
Yes I started my cut with eating on maintenance for first 2 weeks and then reducing the calories as my weight came down.

I hit the plateau at 77 and then I tried Intermittent Fasting. I agree that it can be one of those fad diets and calories in = calories out blah blah but whatever it is , it worked for me and I started losing the weight again.

Last edited by prashant.dinkar : 10th November 2016 at 14:49.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 15:57   #4392
BHPian
 
mandheers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I was using fat % numbers as an example. I am not sure what my fat % was during college days and what it is today.

I din't have access to dexa scan at that time and now I don't want to waste 7-8K for it. I am not sure about the fat calipers. Maybe they are extremely accurate but somehow I don't trust them.

What I meant was that during my college days my weight was almost same as of today but now I look way muscular and overall better upper body.
I used to have chicken legs during my college days and continue to have identical legs today. That is the only part which didn't change.

My upper 2 abdominal muscles are visible but I carry significant fat on my lower belly and chest.
I posted my pics in bodybuilding.com for body fat % estimation and everyone thought it is between 12-14%.

Yes I want to be at 10-11 %. I don't think I have approached the limit because I know I can train and diet better.
Diet part is what bothers me as I fail over and over again.

Based on my age , gender , height , weight and activity level my daily calorie requirement should be 1900 or something close.

Like mentioned before I try to eat 1600 per day by following below mentioned macros.

P:160
C : 120
F : 53

I started my cut around 6 months back and I am not able to hit the macros even for one single day.
Yes I started my cut with eating on maintenance for first 2 weeks and then reducing the calories as my weight came down.

I hit the plateau at 77 and then I tried Intermittent Fasting. I agree that it can be one of those fad diets and calories in = calories out blah blah but whatever it is , it worked for me and I started losing the weight again.
Honestly, it is posts like these which try to be so technical and yet so random that one cannot really help, try as he/she may.
Another thing that doesn't happen often on this thread is people don't post their pics or videos for reference at least.

It's beyond me how could you not find calipers accurate but accepted to believe random strangers on a bodybuilding website; and their views on your fat %age basis a few upper-body pics.

Also, I'm bad with diets, and don't understand the calorie bit so help is out of question from me, overall query is also lost on me - sorry.
No offence bud!
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 21:45   #4393
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Honestly, it is posts like these which try to be so technical and yet so random that one cannot really help, try as he/she may.
Another thing that doesn't happen often on this thread is people don't post their pics or videos for reference at least.

It's beyond me how could you not find calipers accurate but accepted to believe random strangers on a bodybuilding website; and their views on your fat %age basis a few upper-body pics.

Also, I'm bad with diets, and don't understand the calorie bit so help is out of question from me, overall query is also lost on me - sorry.
No offence bud!
I was not "trying" to be technical. If you don't know the basics of nutrition and or training then it is not my problem.

Visual estimate is still considered a valid method specially if done by trained eyes who have been placed in competitions and by those who have been around for long enough.

The post which you quoted was part of an ongoing discussion and I was not asking for any advice or help in it.
My original query is posted 2 pages back.

I never asked for your help specifically so you don't have to be sorry about it.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 12:40   #4394
BHPian
 
mandheers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I was not "trying" to be technical. If you don't know the basics of nutrition and or training then it is not my problem.

Visual estimate is still considered a valid method specially if done by trained eyes who have been placed in competitions and by those who have been around for long enough.

The post which you quoted was part of an ongoing discussion and I was not asking for any advice or help in it.
My original query is posted 2 pages back.

I never asked for your help specifically so you don't have to be sorry about it.
Not what I meant - and let me clarify. I saw your first post about sleep issues, and binge eating, and also followed the ongoing discussion between Amitoj, Piyadassi and alpha1; they all ask and advise from experience.
I know enough about my training and my nutrition - but I tend to keep it simple and also advise the same. I train and eat, and also rely a little on supplements, maybe because I like to eat.

I also make it a point to seek such extremely technical advice from those bigger/faster/stronger than me, or maybe just plain better condition than me.
I'm 37, 6', 100 odd kgs, 17-18% bf, been lifting since 1995 and I would not rely on some stranger's visual judgment of my bf %age, without credible information of how trained their eyes are.

Also if I woke up middle of the night for a snack - i would never know whether it was 400 Kcal or 800. How does one calculate that stuff at that time, or even otherwise?
Sleep is a matter of what you're putting inside your body or not. If you've got a blood test done you would know deficiencies if any. Some forms of Magnesium (chelated) and D3 dosing help with sleep, so does Fish Oil.

The best in my opinion is eating basis hunger - that's what induces a good night's sleep. You can alter training basis your diet changes. But nobody wakes up hungry if they didn't sleep hungry.

Rest I think alpha1 has explained enough about what you are targeting as goals. Taking pictures helps, and bigger arms + smaller legs doesn't add up to athletic exactly.

And about the trying to be technical - well your post started as a simple sleep and binge eating issue and then it went into bf %age which you've never taken, to achieving a slow cut and then lean bulk, alongside maintaining your lifts.
I don't know what your lifts are, and how much will they be impacted by going on a calorie deficit, but it's a good thing if they don't fluctuate/dip.

I'm sure you understand this is a single Exercise/Supplements related thread on a website which is authority on Cars and Automobiles, it's not Bodybuilding.com
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 21:50   #4395
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 130
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Dear All,

I am not sure if its the appropriate thread to post my query but since this thread is related to health and wellness so I am gonna post it anyway :-)

Can anyone suggest me a good arm band? I usually carry a phone and mp3 player (Sony) during my daily exercises.

Last edited by drive_angry : 13th November 2016 at 21:53.
drive_angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks