Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 10:50   #601
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

can anybody suggest a good gym for cardio workouts around the malleshwaram, basaveseshwarnagar, mahalaxmipuram area in bangalore. right now i go to gold's gym and its a bit far from my area, and also the cardio workout is'nt that great, i have not seen other gyms so do not know whether gold's gym is good enough or not. my present stint with gold's will end in july.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:10   #602
BHPian
 
SohailPistawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 431
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

The most widely discussed topic on bodybuilding. Thank you everybody for the inputs.
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:37   #603
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,613
Thanked: 6,406 Times
Default

The only supplement I ever took during my workout days was my dinner

Wheat rotis (NO MAIDA) soaked in milk for about 2 hours in the fridge with little or no sugar in it.
A zeera drink my mom makes for helping digestion.

Saturdays: early lunch with a good quantity of either chicken or beef.

Hotel food is the worst thing you can do to your body.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 13:18   #604
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
can anybody suggest a good gym for cardio workouts around the malleshwaram, basaveseshwarnagar, mahalaxmipuram area in bangalore. right now i go to gold's gym and its a bit far from my area, and also the cardio workout is'nt that great, i have not seen other gyms so do not know whether gold's gym is good enough or not. my present stint with gold's will end in july.
Call instructor Hari on 9480045800 for the newly started Aerogym at Malleswaram. You can get the location from him. He is too good. I miss his sessions since he moved from BEL circle to Malleswaram due to partner disputes. It will be defenitely cheaper than Gold's.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 13:28   #605
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Call instructor Hari on 9480045800 for the newly started Aerogym at Malleswaram. You can get the location from him. He is too good. I miss his sessions since he moved from BEL circle to Malleswaram due to partner disputes. It will be defenitely cheaper than Gold's.
thanks will do that. and check it out.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 01:51   #606
BHPian
 
vikram18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pune
Posts: 615
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Even though it helps convert long chain fatty acids into energy,
Shan2nu
Yes. They claim fat is used as an energy source, but that is "in place" of regular energy sources, not "in addition to"

Quote:

The only supplement I ever took during my workout days was my dinner
Interesting! never heard of dinner being called a supplement!

Quote:

Wheat rotis (NO MAIDA) soaked in milk for about 2 hours in the fridge with little or no sugar in it.
Why make somebody go through all that effort in making rotis? you might as well have soaked roasted wheat flour!

Last edited by vikram18 : 9th May 2008 at 01:52.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 07:49   #607
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

fatty acids are not very useful during anaerobic workouts. they would help more in endurance events.
I suppose carnitine will help in getting ripped. it doesnt make sense as an extra fuel during weight lifting.

Am I right?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 09:25   #608
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,227
Thanked: 13,948 Times
Default

Now a doctor gets into the fray, this should be interesting.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 12:11   #609
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,910
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default

My father(who is a MD, DM) told me that protein suppliments are the shortcut way to bringing gout early.
Add that to regular alcohol drinking and you have a perfect recipe.

I love Rogan josh, but he scared me of excess mutton.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 12:27   #610
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,613
Thanked: 6,406 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post

Interesting! never heard of dinner being called a supplement!!

you just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Why make somebody go through all that effort in making rotis? you might as well have soaked roasted wheat flour!
Yes, but my mom makes the best rotis in the world.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 12:44   #611
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

i consume one scoop of optimum nutrition whey protein everyday after the gym workout.
when is it best suited to be consumed. before the workout or after. my workout timings are from morning 6.30 to 7.45.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 14:13   #612
BHPian
 
vikram18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pune
Posts: 615
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
i consume one scoop of optimum nutrition whey protein everyday after the gym workout.
when is it best suited to be consumed. before the workout or after. my workout timings are from morning 6.30 to 7.45.
After your workout is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My father(who is a MD, DM) told me that protein suppliments are the shortcut way to bringing gout early.
And how many professional bodybuilders / athletes do either of you know suffering from gout?

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2008 at 04:27. Reason: Merged. Please use the multi-quote button
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 14:41   #613
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,910
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
And how many professional bodybuilders / athletes do either of you know suffering from gout?
A few actually. But most of them are those who kept on having high protein suppliments into their 40s.
Ask any Nephrologist and he/she will tell you that sustained excessive protein intake is a recipe for disaster as far as kidneys are concerned too.
There is not magic bullet, no magic pill which will make you burn fat.
I know a guy at our gym who was bedridden for days due to severe diarrhea after having this carinitin thingy.
The max recommended dosage is around 500mg/day. Meat eaters get around 200mg a day.
These guys at our gym take 1-2 gms daily.

But then all depends on priorities. Some people come to gym to be healthy, some come to gym for building bulging muscles. A close aquatiance of ours(currently in his 60s) was a body builder since his younger days, and he developed heart problem in his early 50s.

Remember how you treat your body today will come to bite you when you are 50.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 15:01   #614
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,227
Thanked: 13,948 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
No 1.5 grams is a very conservative dose. Im doing this to let my body adjust to them first.

If you're a big guy and do very intense and heavy lifting in the gym, you will prob need 3-3.5 grams a day.

L-carnitine has no side effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Around 2-2.5 grams would be ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I know a guy at our gym who was bedridden for days due to severe diarrhea after having this carinitin thingy.
The max recommended dosage is around 500mg/day. Meat eaters get around 200mg a day.
These guys at our gym take 1-2 gms daily.
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ask any Nephrologist and he/she will tell you that sustained excessive protein intake is a recipe for disaster as far as kidneys are concerned too.
There is not magic bullet, no magic pill which will make you burn fat.
But then all depends on priorities. Some people come to gym to be healthy, some come to gym for building bulging muscles. A close aquatiance of ours(currently in his 60s) was a body builder since his younger days, and he developed heart problem in his early 50s.
My long time neighbour who was a serious practicing body builder, had his first heart attack at age 43. This was about 12-13 years back, many of my relatives tried to scare me from working out when that happened. But then I had already quit body building and was into functional exercises. But it really made me think about my long time workout needs.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 15:16   #615
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,910
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default

I am seeing that many people on this forum, and even outside the forum are skeptical about side effects of these suppliments.
Its something like this.
Not all alcohol abusers get liver cirrhoses, not all smokers get lung cancer so not everyone taking these suppliments will get problems.
Its like medicine side effects. Not everyone gets nausea from antibiotics, right.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks