Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 08:41   #661
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,640
Thanked: 6,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
don't worry about it if you feel good, energetic and your fat %age is better. A lot of people gain weight after losing fat because the fat they lose is very low in weight compared to the weight of the muscle they gain.


Buddy I am a 100 kilos.
I am not worried about how I feel today or the next year.
Am petrified about how I will feel when I am 60.

I don't want my knees giving up on me. How will I start my bike?
I don't want shaking wrists. How will I accelerate?
I don't want back pain. How will I ride?

And If I cannot ride, why do I live.

My target is to come down to at least 80 in about two years from now.
This is one three digit number, I MUST lose.

Last edited by bblost : 15th July 2008 at 08:42.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 11:22   #662
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Buddy I am a 100 kilos.
I am not worried about how I feel today or the next year.
Am petrified about how I will feel when I am 60.

I don't want my knees giving up on me. How will I start my bike?
I don't want shaking wrists. How will I accelerate?
I don't want back pain. How will I ride?

And If I cannot ride, why do I live.

My target is to come down to at least 80 in about two years from now.
This is one three digit number, I MUST lose.
Muscle weight is completely different from fat weight. When i started working out last Sept, i was at 103kgs and 26% body fat, today i'm 101kgs and 18% body fat.

Even though my weight has just reduced by 2 kgs, im much faster, stronger and healthier than before. My waist went from 40" to 34".

The idea is to reduce body fat % without having to worry about your weight. The heavier you are with the least amount of body fat, the more muscular and stronger you will be. Usually, 7-9% is said to be the lowest limit for healthy body fat.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 11:29   #663
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,640
Thanked: 6,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The idea is to reduce body fat % without having to worry about your weight. The heavier you are with the least amount of body fat, the more muscular and stronger you will be. Usually, 7-9% is said to be the lowest limit for healthy body fat.

Shan2nu

I am getting my blood tested this weekend for the fat % levels.
and maintain a testing cycle, initially every month and then make it once a quarter.

btw my waist went down from Levi jeans 38" to 36".
34" inch waistline would be good.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 17:39   #664
BHPian
 
rohan_fonseca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Panaji
Posts: 984
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am getting my blood tested this weekend for the fat % levels.
and maintain a testing cycle, initially every month and then make it once a quarter.

btw my waist went down from Levi jeans 38" to 36".
34" inch waistline would be good.
You cannot check your body fat % through your blood test. You will be checking for your serum lipid levels.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:04   #665
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Muscle weight is completely different from fat weight. When i started working out last Sept, i was at 103kgs and 26% body fat, today i'm 101kgs and 18% body fat.

Even though my weight has just reduced by 2 kgs, im much faster, stronger and healthier than before. My waist went from 40" to 34".

The idea is to reduce body fat % without having to worry about your weight. The heavier you are with the least amount of body fat, the more muscular and stronger you will be. Usually, 7-9% is said to be the lowest limit for healthy body fat.

Shan2nu
where did you get your body fat percentage checked? and what machine did they use? i thought it was a very cumbersome procedure, involving complete submersion in water. there are other gadgets that do the same, but less accurately, but havent seen one around here yet.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:06   #666
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,943
Thanked: 15,626 Times
Default

I also got it checked using a funny machine. Its all bogus and gives weird results, esp on thin people.
If you want to check your risk of heart diesease etc., get cholestrol checked, instead of these gimmicks!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:40   #667
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

i think the most common way is to use vernier calipers/screw gage and go around pinching the skin in various places !


that's about subcutaneous fat, what about visceral fat?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 20:18   #668
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

i have a weighing scale i picked up from US for 50usd which gives my weight, muscle mass, body fat, water content Its based on body impedance principal. Even if it maybe off by some percentage, its a good reference point to check if my fat percentage has gone up or down compared to reference.
I currently weigh in at 72kilos with 12% body fat, 60% water and 43% muscle mass and I can clearly see when body fat goes down, water %age goes up and so does muscle mass in most cases!!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 00:23   #669
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
where did you get your body fat percentage checked?
I use 2 methods. I first check on the hand held device and then double check it with this online calculator - Body Fat Estimator

Result are near identical with both.

The idea is not to see which calculator is most accurate. I do this to see how much my body fat has reduced, when compared to the original readings.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 00:33   #670
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
I currently weigh in at 72kilos with 12% body fat, 60% water and 43% muscle mass and I can clearly see when body fat goes down, water %age goes up and so does muscle mass in most cases!!
Just one doubt though, 12% + 60% + 43% = 115%. Shouldn't the figures add up to 100%? U might wanna recheck the results.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 00:51   #671
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

nopes i am sure its 115% i even entered my height and age and non-athletic lifestyle as inputs. But like i said I use it as a reference and not as an accurate measure. It always totals to 115%, however my fat %age and muscle mass and water weight change relative to each other. Its a good reference as I can see whether I am improving or not.
There is a difference between a 100% correct reading and a 100% repeatable reading (i don't care if its wrong by a certain fixed offset always). I don't care if I am 14% or 12% body fat, but tomorrow if my body fat drops by 2% and muscle mass goes up by 2% i know my workouts are headed in the right direction. Beats the whole cumbersome process "pinch my body at different places" or "submerge me in water" to measure my workout progress. I can get the correct measurement done from outside when i need to know out of curiousity, but this thing is at home to measure where I am headed
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 07:37   #672
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
i think the most common way is to use vernier calipers/screw gage and go around pinching the skin in various places !
By far the most widely accepted procedure in the world of BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i have a weighing scale i picked up from US for 50usd which gives my weight, muscle mass, body fat, water content Its based on body impedance principal.
Yes. BIA (Body impedance Analysis) has no gained popularity over BMI and other methods as it is rated to be more accurate/useful and easy to administer too.

The Tanita brand of weighing scales offer this option too and are available locally with warranty.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 08:09   #673
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post

The Tanita brand of weighing scales offer this option too and are available locally with warranty.
cool! thanks for that.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:44   #674
BHPian
 
SohailPistawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 431
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Time to update this thread with latest in bodybuilding. I know not many people follow it but still i thought i shud put it up.

"The 2008 Olympia Weekend schedule is set for September 25-28, 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Orleans Arena and Las Vegas Convention Center."
Who is going to take the crown this year?? will ronnie coleman comeback after loosing twice or will it be Hatrick for Jay cutler or do we have Markus Ruhl in the race also??

My current Stats 2 days before Ramadaan.
Weight : 90kgs
Height: 5.11
waist : 35 (hehe)
Chest :41.5
Arms :15.5
Forearms 11.5

Dont know the fat percentage. Have'nt gone to the Gym from past a week, but will start from monday onwards.

Vikram and Shan2anu and others, since i am fasting, so no meal the entire day until sunset, since i will be starting my workout from monday at 9.30 in the night. My schedule right now is, eat little fruits and pakodas at Sunset (when i break my fast), rest for an hour eat little before going for prayers, come back and then gym. Post workout is eggs, milk, and little food like roti, and whatever is cooked. Bed time, then morning 4.30 wakeup , at sunrise is rotis with Tea, boiled eggs, milks and oats, little sweets.

What workout should i follow, 4 days a week or 6 or 7?? should i go for full body circuit training and rest next day or cardio or two body parts??

Thanks in advance..
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:29   #675
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,223
Thanked: 570 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Thanks TSK !!! How do you have so much knowledge about all this???? Which brand protein supplement is good for muscle growth and weight loss???
Swapnil the brand is not the first priority. It is to know what will suit your body requirement and what will not. The best way to know that is get in touch with someone who deals with supplements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I come from a family of doctors.Wife is a dentist, My father is a kidney specialist practicing for 30 years+. Mothers also a doctor, and so is by bro. Myself an engineer so an odd one out
Thats why I stay away from all supplements. Occasionally I take multiVitamin supplements, but its rare and occasional.
Tsk- i will not say stay away from supplements as if you do wanna make a good physique you have to take supplements as per your body requirement because there are many things in out body which needs fill overs which we cannot get with the normal diet.
But many people have the notion take supplements and physique is made. Nope, It requires regular work outs and that too concenterated work outs with right amount of diet.Rem' Supplements just fill in the gaps which you get while workouts,if you are not working out enough supplement will only increase your body mass (specially the protein ones)
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks