Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th September 2013, 11:56   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Hi,

My house is about 50 meters away from the railway tracks. And train frequency in this region is very high due to the metro trains plying every 10 minutes. I do not have issues with the train noise made due to the trains travelling, and i was aware of the fact while purchasing my house.

However, when these trains start honking, its a nightmare. Honking has gone up recently and goes on throughout the day.

I have considered my options, like sound proofing my rooms, but then, my house is open on 3 and half sides. Soundproofing would cut out ventilation completely. And if i keep any window open, train horn sounds would be severe. To add to my woes, i need to work from home and have 4-5 hours of calls....

Now wondering if there is any authority i can approach to, to lower/reduce Train honking in this residential area...
I stay just beside the railway track and these days the honking has come down. I stay near Hafeezpet railway station, but since you stay at begumpet which is very close to the station as well as there's a curvature, the honking might not go down. You could go for noise suppression windows

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 10th September 2013 at 11:59. Reason: Adding details
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 13:29   #32
BHPian

maybe you should try this
https://jawbone.com/headsets/era/overview

there are other headsets also which rely on jaw movement/vibrations, instead of microphones. Common sense indicates that they should have better noise cancellation.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 19:40   #33
BANNED

Red face Sound-Proofing a Room

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2015 at 14:44.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th March 2015, 22:54   #34
BHPian

Default re: Sound-Proofing a Room

Room size does not matter. What matters is the wall facing source of noise.

Is this house your own or rented? How many walls of this room are exposed to this noise? What is the material of these walls? Are there doors and windows on these walls? What is the material of door / window? Some photos will help.

9 inch brick wall has very good sound insulation property. The weak point is the openings (door / window). You can consider installing UPVC frames with double layer glass. This is a long term expensive solution. Short term economical jugaad can also be tried if you are willing.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 18:29   #35
BANNED

Smile Re: Sound-Proofing a Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite;
Room size does not matter. What matters is the wall facing source of noise.

Is this house your own or rented? How many walls of this room are exposed to this noise? What is the material of these walls? Are there doors and windows on these walls? What is the material of door / window? Some photos will help.

9 inch brick wall has very good sound insulation property. The weak point is the openings (door / window). You can consider installing UPVC frames with double layer glass. This is a long term expensive solution. Short term economical jugaad can also be tried if you are willing.
Thanks Guite,

1) We are looking to own this house .
2) Master bedroom would have two wall facing park and play ground.

Thank you for letting me know about UPVC . Can you provide more details about economical solutions also . I am thinking of putting egg crate on the outer wall but they would look ugly and not sure how to fix them permanently.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 31st March 2015 at 18:33.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 18:39   #36
BHPian

As I mentioned earlier, padding the solid wall is not as important as sealing the door / windows. Depending on the physical condition and material of frame, you can try simulating a double glass. You can stick a good quality double sided tape (3M VSB tape for instance) all around the window frame, leaving no gap at all for dust to enter. Then stick a new glass pane onto it. Put some silica gel (comes with some electronic items) in the gap to absord moisture. The new glass can be put inside or outside the shutter as per site condition, inside will be preferable. Again, a lot depends on material and condition of frame.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote