Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 12:00   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Hi,

My house is about 50 meters away from the railway tracks. And train frequency in this region is very high due to the metro trains plying every 10 minutes. I do not have issues with the train noise made due to the trains travelling, and i was aware of the fact while purchasing my house.

However, when these trains start honking, its a nightmare. Honking has gone up recently and goes on throughout the day.

I have considered my options, like sound proofing my rooms, but then, my house is open on 3 and half sides. Soundproofing would cut out ventilation completely. And if i keep any window open, train horn sounds would be severe. To add to my woes, i need to work from home and have 4-5 hours of calls....


Now wondering if there is any authority i can approach to, to lower/reduce Train honking in this residential area...
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 12:06   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 686 Times
Default re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Write to the Railway ministry - they are not supposed to be honking in residential areas without reason.

Install double soundproofed windows like Fenesta.. but yes then your ventilation is gone.. you will need to use a split AC..

You can install sound dampers on your society boundary wall that faces the railway tracks... but thats for the sound.. not the honking
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 13:00   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Write to the Railway ministry - they are not supposed to be honking in residential areas without reason.
Which came first, the residential area or the railway track? Trains don't honk for no reason, it is an important safety requirement.

The only workable option is to install sound barriers to separate the track from the residential area. Something for the local officials to consider.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 19:49   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 2,418 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

How long since you have been staying at this place?
I am asking because , over time, you get used to it. When it comes to phone calls and talking, you need to do something from your part like, sound proofing , closing all windows.
Don't even think of going to the Railways with this, they will make a mockery out of the whole thing since there is no restriction for a train to not honk. It is not like a vehicle on the road where the horn is used for everything possible.
Trains use the horn basically to warn people and animals on the track and if your house is next to a station, you will hear it more because they will honk every time they move.

I have been staying around the same distance as you from a very busy railway line for the last 17 years and my room is facing the line. Since I am used to it and more because I like trains, I have no complaints.

Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,605
Thanked: 1,209 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

One mans music is other mans noise

For some one like me who loves trains, the honking and the chugging is of the ALCO's is a music

Yes, there is nothing you can do about it . If your house is on the lower floors then erecting sound barriers on the boundary of the apartment is feasible. If you stay in upper floors then get Double paned sound deadening windows like others have suggested
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 23:53   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Hi,

To add to my woes, i need to work from home and have 4-5 hours of calls....


Now wondering if there is any authority i can approach to, to lower/reduce Train honking in this residential area...
From your work perspective, perhaps you could consider sound proofing one room thoroughly.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,435
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

A tight situation to be in.

I live half a km from busy Delhi-Rest of India tracks. All trains honk as they approach the Faridabad station. During day the other traffic noise drowns this out but late nights the sound really booms. After installing double glazing there is hardly any sound ... yes but then a/c becomes a must.

In this particular place over the years I observed that many trains honk perhaps to get attention of signalling staff/cabin. This could perhaps be controlled /reduced by sensitizing the drivers by railways. However....

In cities we have shanties built right next to tracks and so people are often crossing the tracks or standing next to them. At railway crossings pedestrian and two wheeler's continue to cross the track even when gates are closed. Given this I do not see how honking can be reduced.

Going a bit OT :
Remember the Bihar incident a few days back? It is simple and common sense that you should not be squatting or crossing the track when a fast train is approaching and is giving series of whistles. People are just not bothered and put their life in jeopardy needlessly. And we actually give compensation for such "suicidal" death by labeling them accidents and deceased as "victims"? Honk.

And to carry this further in our system the injured person in any accident is a victim even if he/she was the cause and negligent. Vehicle drivers are always offenders. Too many threads here that illustrate this point. Honk.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:22   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

I guess the train honking maybe to warn the people crossing the railway tracks since the railway passes through closely a residential area. If thats the case then maybe writing to the railway authorities to install a foot over bridge would solve the continous honking problem. This will be subject to people using the FOB.

Just imagine the plight of people living near the airports or defence installations where the noise levels are the highest.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:45   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,582
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Honking by trains is necessary in INDIA, until the railway tracks are guarded on both sides by protective mesh.

If the honking is to get the attention of the signal operators, then you have a case.

Do the trains honk at stand still or do they honk all the way when the train is going at a speed ?

Back in the day in my home town, the trains used to honk all the way travelling at a speed. Now they have protective railway bars on the
both sides on the track, so animals cant enter. They rarely honk.

Some ground work is needed to understand the situation.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:48   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I used to live near H.A.L airport. Then they used to test jet engines. The noise was extremely loud, and 10-15 minutes long each time. We couldn't hear eachother at home during that time. The train horn is nothing compared to that. Yet, we managed to live with that. I don't think they do that anymore. Now there are 10 times more houses around that place.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,709
Thanked: 9,764 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Those train horns don't have to be so loud. It's not like our trains move at 500 kmph. People continue crossing the railway tracks even after they hear the train horn. It's only when they visually see the train coming they stay back.

I don't think enough scientific research/thought has been put into this aspect by the authorities or those who design the machine.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,582
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Those train horns don't have to be so loud. It's not like our trains move at 500 kmph. People continue crossing the railway tracks even after they hear the train horn. It's only when they visually see the train coming they stay back.

I don't think enough scientific research/thought has been put into this aspect by the authorities or those who design the machine.
What about cattle grazing on either side of the track which cross over from one side to the other ?

Please suggest an approach with more scientific research, I am curious to know
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
...
I have considered my options, like sound proofing my rooms, but then, my house is open on 3 and half sides. Soundproofing would cut out ventilation completely. And if i keep any window open, train horn sounds would be severe. To add to my woes, i need to work from home and have 4-5 hours of calls....
...
You can also get a soundproof cabin which is usually used by recording artists installed in your home. It can be very compact and will not cost you a lot. This can be used while working from home - you will have to talk to people who set up recording studios.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:30   #14
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think they do that anymore. .
It still happens but at a much lesser frequency. In fact on some days I can hear it all the way till HSR layout as well. Now houses are so close that quite a few of them can even see the runway.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:54   #15
BHPian
 
sukhoi30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 323
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Train Horn noise issue in residential areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Hi,

However, when these trains start honking, its a nightmare. Honking has gone up recently and goes on throughout the day.

I have considered my options, like sound proofing my rooms, but then, my house is open on 3 and half sides. Soundproofing would cut out ventilation completely. And if i keep any window open, train horn sounds would be severe. To add to my woes, i need to work from home and have 4-5 hours of calls....

When you say house, is it a flat in a multistoreyed apartement or is it an individual house on the ground floor. If you are in a multistoreyed apartment, then there is no option but to sound proof your rooms. If in a ground floor house, then you can try planting some shrubs or trees with heavy foliage around the house. They can dampen the sound to a great degree.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boarding / Residential Schools - are they better equipped to develop a child? saildrive Shifting gears 23 30th July 2015 18:02
Bangalore residential properties luvjascha Shifting gears 86 16th November 2012 00:23
Inferno atop my residential block, Owner (pilot) killed,1 injured sidindica Shifting gears 16 12th August 2009 06:15
Train horn on a car - Is this legal in India? drpullockaran Modifications & Accessories 40 5th June 2008 17:06
hissing noise from speakers when horn is blown gopz In-Car Entertainment 7 14th June 2007 13:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks