Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th June 2006, 02:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Be proud to be an Indian

When westerners were in the stone age, India was in a technically and scientifically advanced age. Check out the video below made by BBC which shows how advanced India was and the innumerable list of inventions that were made by India and which subsequently changed the world.

amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 07:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Amit, thanks for this - looks intresting, but is Huge. Looking at a 4+ hour download even on my bsnl broadband. Have to wait before I can see it, but didnt wait to share it.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 09:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey condor, sorry about that huge download but don't give up on it. It's a much watch.

Why do you say download? doesn't google video player play the video downloading it simultaniously? Whats the BSNL broadband speed? I have cable internet here and all videos start playing instantly!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 11:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

no Amit, not giving up - just waiting.
We dont have the 1.5mbps you got on tap - we got to make do with a piddly 128kbps, but I still count my blessings that I dont have to do dial up, here. I am doing a download because the buffering and playing play catch-up, and you know who wins. :(
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 15:12   #5
BHPian

It's about an hour long. A documentary. Looks good though.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 22:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

a very nice video...

but if anyone one of you have been to the swaminarayan temples you will see much more information about what indians excelled in and gave to the world. unfortunetly we are not able to recover the losses of the british rule...
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 01:02   #7
rks
BANNED

Looks interesting, will download it as soon as I get to the office on Monday. Regarding the title "Be proud to be an Indian" -- I would like to suggest that we demonstrate our pride in our nation through genuine actions, not just empty words. When I see our politicians make long speeches and salute the flag on Independence/Republic Day, it is very clear to me that these are acts of empty, meaningless symbolism that some of the most unpatriotic cut-throats will not hesitate to indulge in. I don't care if someone burns the flag -- as long as (s)he does an honest day's work without pulling down his /her fellow-Indian, (s)he is patriotic in my book. Also too much of patriotism is not good -- we should be objective and not be afraid to criticize and call a spade a spade.

Last edited by rks : 25th June 2006 at 01:20.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 09:56   #8
BHPian

Hi All,

Have a look at the following links. It's all about ancient Indian spacecraft technology.

http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Vimanas.htm

http://www.rense.com/general61/vaman.htm
http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_7.htm
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 14:18   #9

Hi,
While it is true that the Indian civilization is indeed an ancient one with the list of achievements enough to put to shame any other ancient civilization, the sad fact is that India today is only an emaciated replica of what it was centuries ago. Also, to blame the British for all the things that are wrong today would be escapism. It is true the British rule in India was the cause of many problems that haunt us even today, but considered in perspective, we are reaping some of the benefits of modern India due to the colonization. The very fact that we from different parts of the country with no common language are able to communicate through the medium of English is just one positive byproduct of the British rule. Our constitution and judicial system will bear testimony to the debt we owe to the British system of jurisprudence. Even today the basic framework of laws that we have are copied from the British laws.

India as a civilization and as a culture is simply too massive to be ruined by a hundred years of misrule by Britain. The real problems that plague us today are corruption, illiteracy, population, cast prejudices, etc. etc. Which of this can we honestly say are legacies of the British rule?
It is a sad fact that we as a country are have scant regard for rules, are corrupt, give scant respect for rules and do not have civic sense. This discussion board itself is a small mirror to the problems we have. We have had so many people write about the total disregard to traffic rules by Indians in almost all our cities. Don’t we as an ancient civilization have the competence to frame some good regulations for common conduct and see to it that we implement it ourselves?
It is good to be proud of ones past but more important to realize that we are nothing compared to what we were five hundred or thousand years ago. It would be prudent to be proud of what we are today and not what we were a couple of centuries ago, and if we do not have anything to be proud today we need to accept the fact and get on with the task of changing the situation.
------------------------
a proud Indian : but who would rather be proud of its future than its past!

Last edited by RE500 : 27th June 2006 at 14:24.
RE500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 21:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE500
a proud Indian : but who would rather be proud of its future than its past!
That my friend sums it up brilliantly. But yes, it is great to recount our past. The civilizations of the Indian sub continent were definitely some of the most advanced. My only grouse with the documentary (I have yet to see it) is that it was made by a Western corporation. Are we not good enough to make our own? Or to make documentaries covering other civilizations as great as ours?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote