Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th December 2013, 15:09   #16
BHPian

Default re: Weddings: How much would you spend on one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
There is not an answer that can satisfy all the people. It is up to the preferences of people involved.
+1 to the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
I personally think that the spending lacs / crores on marriage is stupidity......
Whenever I will get married I would go for a simple court marriage followed by a small party for my close family n friends.
I am against overtly ostentatious display of wealth and I did go for a rather low key and budgeted wedding.
Having said that, weddings in India for the majority of the populace even today is not just between two people but rather between two families and whether you like it or not, the choice, comfort and expectations of family and at times other people involved has to be kept in mind.
I don't have a large social circle but it was big enough to make me think twice about who to invite once me and my wife started to draw up a list of the people we wanted to call to our wedding+reception!
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why is gold not taken into the expense account? The jewellery certainly counts. The estimates here are way too conservative.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Photo/Video coverage also has not been taken into account . This can easily go upto a lakh .
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 12:41   #19
BHPian

I think everyone has their own preference so there is no right or wrong. I am not married but I can speak for a couple of friends. My friend wanted a destination wedding right by the beach and that too during the early evening hours which is against the norms of North Indian hindu weddings. This wedding was in Goa and although they did spend a lot more than they would have in Delhi they were really happy with the experience of getting married by the beach.

My sister and brother in law got married three years back. The engagement was in Delhi and the wedding at my brother in law's native Patiala. We had hosted all our the guests at the hotel there and were paying for their stay and all meals and since stay and for 3 nights and meals were covered it costed a bomb. Again these are logistics that sometimes can't be avoided specially if relatives of both sides are elderly and split over different cities.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 13:15   #20
BHPian

Just got married in the first week of December.

Total expense was about 6.5L which included:

1. 4 functions (Thread Ceremony/Sangeet/Wedding/Reception)
2. Ferrying about 100 people for the last two fuctions.
3. 3 rooms in a big hotel.
4. Booking of one entire dharamshala/community hall for 2 days which had some 15 odd rooms.
5. Clothes and jewelry
6. Travel cost
7. Hired local cooks to serve food at Community hall (3 days at @ 5000 per day to serve 50 odd people staying in community hall). Sangeet food was managed by a local caterer at Rs. 200 bucks a plate (200 people) and Reception food was in a 3 star hotel for about 650 a plate (320 people).
8. 4 innovas hired for the bride side (there were only 25 of them)
9. Photographer @ Rs 40K for all functions (But I got my semi-pro photographer friends to click the pics that I really wanted.)

Bride side incurred expenses of about 2L which was only for the staying in the most premium hotel in Bhopal. And the reception Banquet bill was split 50:50

Overall total expenditure was about 8.5L
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 14:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Just got married in the first week of December.
Overall total expenditure was about 8.5L
Could you please be kind enough to post the break up ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 14:03   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Weddings: How much would you spend on one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the usual expenditure like in terms of Lakhs ?
Bride's shopping - 2 Lakhs
Bridgegrooms Shopping - 1.5 Lakhs
Family Shopping: 1.5 Lakhs.
Venue: 1 Lakh
Catering: 1 Lakh
Miscellaneous : 1 Lakh

Is 8 Lakhs a decent budget ?
Brides Shopping Clothes only - 80K to 1 Lac (designer will cost more)
Groom around 40 K
Family - varies on number of relatives and such
Venue - easily upwards of 1 lac for a average place decorations to be added. A buddy of mine paid 15 Lac only for the venue

Catering- these start from around 300 Rs for a plate (decent menu)

a lot of the costs like venue and food will vary according to seasons , peak rates are during wedding seasons and expect good discounts during "off" seasons.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 1st January 2014 at 14:04. Reason: secret :)
motorpsycho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:55   #23
BHPian

When I was getting married, I insisted on a Court Marriage with a simple reception.
Walao, all hell broke loose for a month.
All my family gave me a torturous nightmare so that I can agree to traditional glitterati ceremony.
Yes I finally budged when my in laws started in chorus with my family.
How did I feel? Like a sitting Duck in a Hunting season.

I wish this mentality of spending like crazy on marriages could stop.

EDIT: Someone in family told me Marriage comes once in lifetime, why not spend on it then? I replied, life comes once for everyone, why not use your money in enjoying your life. All I got was some weird stares and disgusting looks at me suggestive of "Educated Moron".
Well that is how the society is, stuck in archaic traditions without an iota of rationality at times.

Last edited by acroback : 2nd January 2014 at 10:00.
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:08   #24
BANNED

How many of you have factored in the cost of the 2nd wedding, just in case you decide to get married again. Your 2nd wife will not be too pleased if she knows you spent lavishly on your first wedding and she has to settle for a simple ceremony or just a court marriage.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
How many of you have factored in the cost of the 2nd wedding, just in case you decide to get married again. Your 2nd wife will not be too pleased if she knows you spent lavishly on your first wedding and she has to settle for a simple ceremony or just a court marriage.
HAHAHA
I think this point is really important and very valid today.
Marriages today don't last very long on an average.
I find it extremely foolish to spend so much on wedding - whereas you could've set aside that money to pay for the alimony.
(or for the second wedding)
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
When I was getting married, I insisted on a Court Marriage with a simple reception.
Walao, all hell broke loose for a month.
Haha, went through the same thing. Look at it this way, you learnt the same valuable lesson that I did - You can reason with one of them at a time, but there is no way you can fight your wife, mother AND mother-in-law all together at the same time on the same issue!

Finally, we did end up doing the whole traditional (meaningless, to me at least, i don't believe in any religion) wedding thing, but we also managed to control the expenses by insisting that only my wife and I would be paying for the whole thing, 50:50. We even postponed the wedding till we had enough saved up to have what we thought was a pretty decent ceremony and reception, and remained firm on that point despite all the emotional blackmail from both mothers/in-laws.

But would you believe it, instead of being proud that her son didn't ask her to foot the bill for his wedding, my mom still gets angry and brings it up in arguments with me that I didn't allow her to pay and host the wedding she thought I should have!

Well, I think I did the right thing. And 4 years later, my wife finally admits that she too got carried away and in hindsight, a much simpler ceremony followed by a small party for close friends would make more sense.

Anyway, it's a fine balance, and you need to try and keep everyone happy without compromising on your beliefs too much. If you and your spouse are on the same page, then no one can really tell you what to do.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

I don't care what anyone spends on their wedding. I just feel that it makes sense that people pay for their own weddings.

When I got married, I took a personal loan for covering a large part of the reception expenses.

The wedding was paid for by my father-in-law.
My dad shared a part of the expense with the reception but I put in a significant percentage of money as well.

If you cannot afford a wedding on your own, tank up your bike or car and elope.
You will have some interesting stories for your grandchildren someday.

@am1m:

Last edited by bblost : 2nd January 2014 at 12:37.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:40   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Why is gold not taken into the expense account? The jewellery certainly counts. The estimates here are way too conservative.
More the gold,better the future. And not to forget other gifts. I guess 100 sovereign would be what most try to have in Kerala?

And let people spend if they have, let few get job and make money that way
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 23:37   #29
BHPian

i know the wedding stuff really well as we have that kind of business but sometimes I am kinda amazed by how different everyone thinks regardless of the money they have. I have seen people hiring Helicopters for taking their doli and even I got offered rs. 15k by a person to take his doli in my car ( I refused ) . I have seen old rich now broke people spending above 50L on wedding and old broke now rich people still doing conservative spendings. I have once seen a person come on a cycle to book venue and food and he ended up spending up 8Lacs and I once had an experience of one person coming in a car to book a wedding and later running off leaving his sister and mom alone to pay for the wedding and they were broke so we bore their expenses just so that the guy's sister's life isnt ruined.
Once a person literally made it rain 1000rs notes on the dance floor and refused to pay for the food and venue.

It really amazes me to come across so many types of people with so different personalities each with their own aspirations how to have their wedding. Some people have been dreaming of the wedding day since they neared their age of wedding and they are willing to spend anything to see their dream wedding come true for them.
V12Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 05:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't care what anyone spends on their wedding. I just feel that it makes sense that people pay for their own weddingsup
Yes. When we got married, we did things in a simple, yet elegant manner. A small temple wedding for about a 100 guests. A nice reception party at a first class hotel for some 400 guests. All paid for by my wife and me out of our own earnings and savings. To save as much as possible, we did the whole thing on the same day.

We could only afford the honeymoon holiday a few months later because we needed to recoup resources a bit.
All said and done it was nice sense of achievement to have done things for ourselves.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote