Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd January 2014, 19:13   #1
BANNED

Unhappy Medical help needed in the UK

Dear All ,

I would be traveling to UK in next two weeks for a month . I would request you to kindly let me know if how to arrange/ get in touch with a nurse or a doctor who can help me with dressing up a very small wound( 3cm) in my abdomen. I cannot do it my self ( i have tried) and i may not not access to NHS as I will travel in Business Visa .

The wound is very small but i need to dress it to ensure that It does not get any infected so need to irrigate it using sterile water. currenlty my wife has been doing it for last 6 months.

I would be willing to pay her/ him and would be willing to go to clinic (near by Citadines Barbican London (Goswell Road ) ) .

I understand that this is unusual request but since I do not know any one over there so wanted to check if any one has any information regarding this . I have asked the hotel but they have an SoS doctor who is not intrested.

I am suprised that UK ( london) does not have any govt / private clinic to do such jobs.

Please let me know any informaiton if you can find.

I would really appericate any response . if you know any one , please PM

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 2nd January 2014 at 19:19.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:41   #2
BHPian

Default re: Medical help needed in the UK

HI mate

I am in Manchester, but I have friends in London who mite be able to help you. Pls let me know the exact nature of the wound and the dressing required, so that I can check.

Subs
subs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not entirely sure, but try the 'Walk-In' centres that are present in the city, normally attached to hospitals. Usually, they just ask for a picture identification and do not really need you to be registered with them. At least the one I went to in Coventry had this.

There are nurses and doctors present in these 'Walk In' centres who can treat small wounds and also give medical prescription. The only fee requires if the for prescription.

You might want to try those.

Hope you get well soon.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just walk in or call to any hospital / ER or so called clinics.

London, or the UK is absolutely chock a block with NHS and private hospitals, doctors, clinics etc.

The NHS will treat anybody/everybody. And most private doctors do also work for the NHS! Just pick up a telephone guide and call a hospital or a clinic. Should be no problem.

I've just come back from a two weeks stay in the UK and as usual we had a few medical issues to be taken care off. Never a problem.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:29   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Medical help needed in the UK

As suggested by Jeroen, walk into any hospital or clinic that is run by the NHS. You might need to call and ask for an appointment if it is not an urgency. Do register and apply for an NHS card as well. This will allow the NHS to track your visits and medical history.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 22:35   #6
BHPian

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to dress the wound using stick-on dressing (they are available in different sizes and look like oversized bandaids) and use Dettol diluted with bottled drinking water instead of sterile water.

Healthcare is cheap (though not necessarily better) in the UK when you head out to an NHS healthcare facility. I'm not sure if you can get an appointment if you call them after reaching the UK, so if you can get a contact, call at least a week ahead.

BTW, hasn't it healed in 6 months?
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 09:09   #7
BHPian

You need to call and ask for this. My friend who had some abdominal pain went to 3 different hospitals for treatment. First 2 rejected him saying he don't have NHS. So better give a call before going to the hospital. I was in leeds for 6 months. There the government dispensaries were giving treatment without NHS(Some were getting application forms filled and giving the treatment then).
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 16:44   #8
BANNED

Red face Re: Medical help needed in the UK

Dear All,

Please accept my gratitude for taking time for helping me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subs
HI mate

I am in Manchester, but I have friends in London who mite be able to help you. Pls let me know the exact nature of the wound and the dressing required, so that I can check.

Subs
Many thanks Subs , I have send you the PM with details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Hope you get well soon. .
Many thanks for your kind wishes sir , I did ask for the Walk In / NHS clinic from the Hotel but they are not responding at all. They think that they will be held responsible of any advise then might give ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h
Do register and apply for an NHS card as well.
I would be just for 3 weeks , also would i be able to regiester for NHS on business visa.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 18:44   #9
vij
BHPian

I know its an old thread, but the NHS A&E clinics(plenty of them in London) will not turn anyone away - but they are not free if one is a tourist.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...gency-care-nhs

NHS is really awesome - wish we had something like it in India.

Last edited by vij : 16th January 2015 at 18:47.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote