Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th January 2014, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Default Suggestions for a Motorcycle + Travel Show

Hello,

As you can clearly make out from the subject line, I wanted to reach out to this community and seek your thoughts and suggestions on a travel show idea that I am working on. Well we intend to use motorcycles! Ofcourse we would like to travel the length and breadth of India but more importantly we wanted to know what is it that you would like to see and know about along the way.

Appreciate all your comments.
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Default re: Suggestions for a Motorcycle + Travel Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
Well we intend to use motorcycles! Of course we would like to travel the length and breadth of India but more importantly we wanted to know what is it that you would like to see and know about along the way.
Appreciate all your comments.
Hey shelleve, that's something interesting you have there. Would you first mind sharing what exactly are your thoughts about this M/Cycle road show.
What is the duration of your ride.? I mean is it a month long / 3 month long or more??
Do you have any theme for the ride? Like save environment, protect girl child or even simpler stuff like safe riding habits etc
How many people are now sold to this idea? I mean how many will form the team? what are your resources?
What is that you have to show us and inform us along the way? what are your strengths and key skills? how are you planning to share your ideas? Movies? stories? slides? pamphlets?
who is your target audience? School children? general public? other riders/ drivers? beach users?

What I am trying to say above is to understand a bit better to what exactly you have in your mind. Once that is clear and the basic agenda is laid down, then I am sure lot of suggestions/ thoughts will be put across and you can tweak / improve / change your plan.

Hope I have not offended you. I just thought a bit more clarity will help.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 12:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hey shelleve, that's something interesting you have there. Would you first mind sharing what exactly are your thoughts about this M/Cycle road show.
What is the duration of your ride.? I mean is it a month long / 3 month long or more??
Do you have any theme for the ride? Like save environment, protect girl child or even simpler stuff like safe riding habits etc
How many people are now sold to this idea? I mean how many will form the team? what are your resources?
What is that you have to show us and inform us along the way? what are your strengths and key skills? how are you planning to share your ideas? Movies? stories? slides? pamphlets?
who is your target audience? School children? general public? other riders/ drivers? beach users?

What I am trying to say above is to understand a bit better to what exactly you have in your mind. Once that is clear and the basic agenda is laid down, then I am sure lot of suggestions/ thoughts will be put across and you can tweak / improve / change your plan.

Hope I have not offended you. I just thought a bit more clarity will help.
Ashkamath – thanks. I would have liked to share as much as possible but we still need to keep our idea etc. under wraps. I cannot share too much assuming that there is always someone out there waiting to capitalize. That said, what I can say is that we would like to incorporate/ review all the stuff that helps makes a trip memorable. Includes stuff we do along the way, eatries, gear we use and ofcourse the motorcycles itself. I would have liked to say that we want to limit this to premium motorcycles only but that may attract a lot of unwanted “why” at the moment. We are working on a pilot and would like to base our work off what the community would appreciate seeing.
And no, you do not offend me in anyway, I appreciate all your questions and their validity.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
what I can say is that we would like to incorporate/ review all the stuff that helps makes a trip memorable. Includes stuff we do along the way, eatries, gear we use and ofcourse the motorcycles itself.
We are working on a pilot and would like to base our work off what the community would appreciate seeing.
Hey shelleve, that sets the agenda right? and it is pretty interesting too. A memorable ride with reviewing all the stuff like the each city, the people, their culture, nature, attitude, their food, some local folk songs /theatre/dance/art/sculptures/ artifacts and stuff like that.
You could comprehensively review the life of a particular area, the vegetation, weather/ roads/ people behaviour as you ride along and pick some uniqueness about each place, document it,
Of course you would get opportunity to review your bikes, also the service centers that you come across, you will get the overall service capabilities of a particular brand of bike,
Possibilities are immense, now that the ball is set rolling, let us see the ideas flowing from the community.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 17:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Suggestions for a Motorcycle + Travel Show

Please don't forget to spend 5 minutes talking about the motorcycle . Pros & cons, especially for long trips. You can keep it less technical, yet informative enough for 99% of your viewers.

Good luck! Do share youtube links of your first show.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 22:29   #6
BHPian

You can have a short section cut-off in your daily episode just for motorcycle related things like:
1) Motorcycle choice pros and cons to look for in a touring motorcyle.
2) Regular maintenance required and what to take care of.
3) DIY series for small change of parts like Clutch,Throttle cable etc.
4) Safety, defensive driving, being visible. Different driving techniques.
5) Riding Gears their importance and different brands available.
6) Tyres.
7) Modifications required for touring in a bike. How to make the bike comfy, seating positions etc.
8) Carry baggage. Different ways to carry your luggage. How to pack luggage (prioritisation) and tying it to the vehicle etc.
9) Medicines to carry for a long trip. Being fit for a long trip. Excercises to be started before any trip.
10) Camping equipment and its use.
11) Photography equipment used for touring etc etc.
12) Riding tips, clothing tips, eating tips etc etc. (Just ready any long distance travel blogs you will get lot of ideas on the same.)

Other than that I would require you to put more time spent on showing the motorcycle in motion and the journey rather than directly talking about the final destination.

Trust me there is a dearth of good motorcycle travel shows who talk about the journey rather than the destination. The audience who watch motorcyle travel shows just do not want it to be a one another travel show. They look forward to see some talk on motorcycles, adventure and other stuff in the show but are very disappointed by the regular ones.
If its a travel show it has to be about the destination, if its a motorcycle travel show it has to focus on the journey too.

Infact you can have a motorcycle show which talks about taking different motorcycles to different places each time. So your show concentrates on both the motorcycles and also the place of travel.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
You can have a short section cut-off in your daily episode just for motorcycle related things like:
1) Motorcycle choice pros and cons to look for in a touring motorcyle.
2) Regular maintenance required and what to take care of.
3) DIY series for small change of parts like Clutch,Throttle cable etc.
4) Safety, defensive driving, being visible. Different driving techniques.
5) Riding Gears their importance and different brands available.
6) Tyres.
7) Modifications required for touring in a bike. How to make the bike comfy, seating positions etc.
8) Carry baggage. Different ways to carry your luggage. How to pack luggage (prioritisation) and tying it to the vehicle etc.
9) Medicines to carry for a long trip. Being fit for a long trip. Excercises to be started before any trip.
10) Camping equipment and its use.
11) Photography equipment used for touring etc etc.
12) Riding tips, clothing tips, eating tips etc etc. (Just ready any long distance travel blogs you will get lot of ideas on the same.)

Other than that I would require you to put more time spent on showing the motorcycle in motion and the journey rather than directly talking about the final destination.

Trust me there is a dearth of good motorcycle travel shows who talk about the journey rather than the destination. The audience who watch motorcyle travel shows just do not want it to be a one another travel show. They look forward to see some talk on motorcycles, adventure and other stuff in the show but are very disappointed by the regular ones.
If its a travel show it has to be about the destination, if its a motorcycle travel show it has to focus on the journey too.

Infact you can have a motorcycle show which talks about taking different motorcycles to different places each time. So your show concentrates on both the motorcycles and also the place of travel.
Thanks much appreciated.
Old 16th January 2014, 02:52   #8
BANNED

Make it more about the journey than the destination.
How were the roads. How bike coped up. How hot was the weather etc.

And try not to make it a Lonely Planet book.
HyperRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 15:23   #9
BHPian

Two videos are up -