Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th July 2006, 23:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default transferable regn nos...

hey all

in europe (not sure where else) a cars registration number can be transferred, ie bought and sold legal and valid...in the sense, when you restore a classic which has an expired registration, or transfer the car from one part of the country to another, you can apply for a period registration number, i e, dating from year of original registration...for example, say transfering a 1960 fiat from delhi, which might have had a DLF regn to Pune, would mean i apply for a new MH 12 regn...if transferable registrations were applicable, i could have got a period BYH number...in any car show the world over, points are added or subtracted based on authenticity of registration...why is it that we dont accord that importance to the registration number of a car? a fantastic restoration is ruined by the presence of a new number on the car...

the potential is tremendous even for newer vehicles with customised numberplates...

this also implies that the older vehicles can retain the original colour scheme....for example classics in britain can retain white lettering over black background...why not us as well? it seems so wrong!

anyone agree with me? or am i being too fussy?

incidentally the maharaja of patiala is widely regarded as the first registered car in india, with registration mark "O"!

cheers
karl
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 09:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Agreed, the RTO's could make a lot of money. Hoever, the RTO system is fragmented by state and then area leading to lots of complications. Frnakly, the RTO should be centralised and should collect road tax and distrobute to the states accordingly.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote