Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th February 2016, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indian Railways: Premium Train Fare higher than a Flight!

Just a small input from my end to clear the confusion between airline and railways dynamic pricing. Airline dynamic pricing is a simple factor of demand versus available seats. It changes as the travel date/time approaches. For example for any particular day if there are say 1000 seats between 5 airlines for a trip from Bombay to Delhi. The average price per ticket is say 5000 Rs. As we approach to a day before travel date, the total available seats is 200. But among the 5 airlines operating, airline 1/2 have all seats filled. Airline 3/4 have 50 seats each available and airline 5 has 100 seats still vacant. So dynamic pricing wise, airline 3/4 will charge say 7000/10000 per seat and maybe airline 5 will still charge 5000/6000 per seat until it gets to filling its seats and the last 10 seats may go to 15000 or so. So no airline can form cartels and fix prices.

However railways with only single operator increasing ticket pricing as travel date approaches stinks of extortion.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 08:50   #47
BHPian

Not too sure if this is the right thread to use for my query, but as I am not able to locate any other relevant threads, thought of putting it here.

I intend to travel from HWH to ASN and for that I have booked a seat in the Howrah Ranchi Shatabdi express. The main reason for choosing this train over others is that I have not yet travelled in any Shatabdi. The distance from HWH to ASN is a mere 200 kms and the fare of my ticket is ₹520/-

Is there any distance bar on this train? Also is distance bar still prevelant in any trains?

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 00:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Not too sure if this is the right thread to use for my query, but as I am not able to locate any other relevant threads, thought of putting it here.

I intend to travel from HWH to ASN and for that I have booked a seat in the Howrah Ranchi Shatabdi express. The main reason for choosing this train over others is that I have not yet travelled in any Shatabdi. The distance from HWH to ASN is a mere 200 kms and the fare of my ticket is ₹520/-

Is there any distance bar on this train? Also is distance bar still prevelant in any trains?

Best regards,
Majumdarda
Hi
Checked on a website which gives seat availability on the railways.
Yes, you can travel by the Shatabdi(Dep 06.05 hours) and as of now 51 seats in the CC and 14 in AI are available.
Incidentally if a ticket is issued by the railways you have nothing to worry about
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 4th March 2016 at 00:13.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote