Russia 0 0%
Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th June 2014, 11:09   #241
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I have always had a soft spot for Nigeria ever since they demolished Bulgaria in '94 USA. Its also a well known fact that they usually finish near the top in the African Cup of Nations.

Messi was mesmerizing. The free-kick was simply astonishing. Nigeria almost never gave up. Though they had little ball possession, they attacked whenever opportunities existed.
Musa's brilliant attacking and the ebullient Enyeama in goal were a sight worth watching! I thought it was hilarious the way the goalie was joshing around with the referees at halftime (great that we get dressing room shots) and then went and congratulated Messi on his goal. This is the spirit in which World Cup games need to be played. Not like the ugly spectacle that was Italy-Uruguay.

I hear Barotelli is coming under harsh criticism most of it stemming from the fact that his African origins don't make him "Italian" enough. reminds us of the ugly truth that for the most part the World is still racist and parochial.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 15:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

was wondering why the last few matches of the group stage are played simultaneously. Interesting story behind it
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 16:16   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
was wondering why the last few matches of the group stage are played simultaneously. Interesting story behind it
Yeah, disgusting match - West Germany vs Austria 1982 - What was surprising was that FIFA watched that happening and didn't raise even a feather. Hopefully, we don't have such matches in the future.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 20:24   #244
Senior - BHPian

Suarez banned for 4 months, not including transfers so he can be sold to another club in the ban period, which is what I think Liverpool should do. This guy is too much of a liability, his footballing skills notwithstanding.

A bit of a soft penalty by FIFA considering the offender's history, but better than letting him off clean, I guess (which FIFA is perfectly capable of doing, during appeal).
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 20:31   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Suarez banned for 4 months, not including transfers so he can be sold to another club in the ban period, which is what I think Liverpool should do. This guy is too much of a liability, his footballing skills notwithstanding.

A bit of a soft penalty by FIFA considering the offender's history, but better than letting him off clean, I guess (which FIFA is perfectly capable of doing, during appeal).
Bit soft on him considering his past!! I was hoping for the maximum sentence, but FIFA atleast gave some punishment. I do not think though that liverpool will want to sell him considering he single handedly carried the team last season. But reading the transfer news which says Barca would do a swap deal for him, I think they might be tempted to sell.

By the by, today's matches Germany vs USA and Portugal VS Ghana. I think Germany vs USA match would be played as a safe match with not many goals and I do prefer Germany win.

Ghana has suspended Muntari and Boetang from their team and have not said why!! Hope Portugal win this match. It would be interesting to see who gets through from this group as runner up.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 26th June 2014 at 20:34.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 20:49   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

Ghana has suspended Muntari and Boetang from their team and have not said why!! Hope Portugal win this match. It would be interesting to see who gets through from this group as runner up.
Muntari slapped one of the coaching staff and Boateng verbally abused the manager during training.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 04:11   #247
Senior - BHPian

As we progress into the next round,

The team with the most goals are:
Netherlands(10) > Columbia(9) > France(8) > Germany(7) = Brazil(7) = Switzerland(7)

The team with the best goal difference are:
Netherlands(7) = Columbia(7) > France(6) > Brazil(5) = Germany(5)

The teams with least goals scored against are:
Mexico(1) = Costa Rica(1) = Belgium(1) > Germany(2) = France(2) = Columbia(2) = Brazil(2)

The team with most points/win are:
Netherlands(9) = Columbia(9) = Argentina(9) = Belgium(9) > Brazil(7) = Germany(7) = France(7) = Mexico(7) = Costa Rica(7)

From the statistics, Columbia and Netherlands seem really strong with France, Germany and Brazil not far behind. Greece, Nigeria, USA end up at the bottom. But I guess the better team on that day wins.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 09:32   #248
Senior - BHPian

Ok so the group of 16 has been determined. I really really wished Ghana could have gone through. If only they'd not lost to the USA in their initial match. Its a lousy way to qualify for the USA. IMHO, they should start some World Soccer League or something and call it their Soccer World Cup.
Attached Images

naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 11:23   #249
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Why do I have this feeling that the teams on the left as seen in the above post are going to make it to the final 8.

The deciders would be the Brazil vs Chile, France vs Nigeria & Germany vs Algeria.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 12:38   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why do I have this feeling that the teams on the left as seen in the above post are going to make it to the final 8.
Because teams on the right were their respective group toppers and better teams in general.
yosbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 13:08   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel things will become normal once again from here. Don't see any major upsets happening. The final will be between Brazil/Germany ( face each other in semifinal) and Netherlands in all likelihood. Argentina would find it extremely tough to beat the dutch if they manage to make the semifinals.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 15:03   #252
BHPian

My top 5 goals from the group stages.

1. Robin Van Persie's 'flying dutchman' equalizer against Spain. What control, what precision, what a header, what a goal!

2. Messi's last gasp winner against Iran. That was perhaps the only time in the game when Messi got some room away from his two markers and he fully utilized it and how! Messi looks threatening from positions that would be innocuous for any lesser mortals - see his two spot kicks from similar positions against Nigeria. But what makes this goal special is the fact that this was not a spot kick and he had perhaps seconds before his markers would have crowded him in.

3. Tim Cahill's equalizer against Netherlands. What a fabulous one touch finish! He didn't try to bring down and control the long overhead pass thus denying any time for the defenders to react.

4. Ahmed Musa's first equalizer against Argentina. A precise medium distance shot with a beautiful curl on the ball to beat the defender and the diving goalkeeper. Beautiful!

5. This one is a toss up between Muller's winner against USA and Robben's lung bursting sprint goal against Spain. I prefer precision shots so I pick Muller's, but Robben's goal was without doubts a work of art to behold.

These are based on the matches that I had seen live and I might have missed some gems in the few matches that I missed. Please point them out.
yosbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 22:05   #253
BHPian

Anyone watching the Brazil vs Chile match? It is 1-1 now and both the teams are fighting really hard. Seems Chile is giving a tough fight against Brazil! Honestly speaking, I don't know how this 45 minutes of the first half went. It was full of football and full of action. There is something every minute!

Last edited by joe1980 : 28th June 2014 at 22:17.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 22:30   #254
BHPian

Brasil going on all attack mode,Chile very cautious approach and defensive game,wil be glad if Chile wins & Brazil exits .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 00:28   #255
BHPian

So its Brazil!!! Not convincing at all. It was Julio ceasar who was the hero for them having saved two penalities but for the brazilians to make it tough on themselves by mising two. The last one though was missed by chile and brazil are through.

If Brazil continue to play like this then they will find it very difficult in the latter stages. Chile tough luck but they go out having their heads held high.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote