Belgium 2 1.10%
Algeria 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th June 2014, 15:26   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Robben cheated and a beautiful contest otherwise got marred into controversy. It's really time for FIFA to pull some strings and start doing post match analysis of play acts and start punishing the offenders. This play act/flopper menace has to go and go out fast. To me, there is not much difference between Suarez biting and Robben diving.
About the match, Mexico become too defensive and paid the price. May be the game should have gone to extra time had Robben not cheated and still the Dutch would've won it as they had the momentum going with them.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 16:40   #272
BANNED

Article about Robben diving.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...203628281.html
HyperRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 17:06   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
It's really time for FIFA to pull some strings and start doing post match analysis of play acts and start punishing the offenders. This play act/flopper menace has to go and go out fast.
This is the same FIFA that dragged it's feet on extra assistant referees and goal-line technology for years. The FIFA dictionary doesn't have 'quick', 'decisive' or 'effective' listed.

Diving should've been stamped out when it first started, now it's close to being an art form courtesy such stalwarts as Robben, Ronaldo, Suarez etc. Calls for stern retrospective punishment.

That being said, this entire controversy stinks of double standards. Everyone is all too happy benefiting from dodgy decisions, but get all high & mighty when one goes against them.

As for yesterday's game, there was contact in the Robben incident, just not big enough for the 'flailing arms' display, but which player doesn't go down in a heap at minimal contact these days? And there was at least one clear penalty-worthy incident against the same player earlier. Would the Mexican coach be willing to concede that penalty? "No sir, the referee got it right that time because it benefited me, but this one went against us so it's the referee's fault we got knocked out. Waa Waa Waa!"

How about not sitting back after ONE goal with 30+ minutes to play in a world cup knockout game? That was asking for trouble right there, Robben's antics notwithstanding.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th June 2014 at 17:09.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 21:29   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
How about not sitting back after ONE goal with 30+ minutes to play in a world cup knockout game? That was asking for trouble right there, Robben's antics notwithstanding.
Very true Chetan. They were trying to defend with just one goal and that's were the coach was wrong. And in my opinion, in spite of Robben's theatrics, the penalty was deserved. It was foolish of the Mexican captain to go for the tackle from that position

Sad to see Mexico exit, though. They were an exciting bunch
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 21:33   #275
BHPian

Oh Robben was bad; the acting was superb. That was just not a penalty.

2 matches where the better team lost now. First Chile and now Mexico.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 21:39   #276
BANNED

I was extremely happGreece eliminated.
In the final match of their group, Samaras dived, and got a penalty, to eliminate Ivory Coast. Not sure if many of you remember.

Ah, Karma! Well done.
HyperRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 23:22   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Oh Robben was bad; the acting was superb. That was just not a penalty.

2 matches where the better team lost now. First Chile and now Mexico.
Acting was superb. But that was still a foul and deserved a penalty (tackling without hitting the ball). Irony was that Robben was uncharacteristically still standing during two earlier attempts!!

French puts 2 in after almost sleepwalking through most of the 90 minutes. Another match where the better playing team is going out!!

This seems to be the strategy of the Europeans - conserve energy till 85th minute and then pile on at the end!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 08:28   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This seems to be the strategy of the Europeans - conserve energy till 85th minute and then pile on at the end!!
+ 1

Everyone is giving an almighty fight this finals. Algerians played fantastic yesterday and so did the Nigerians. If you are going out of a cup, that's the way to do it.

Neuer was immense yesterday. Can't wait for Friday!
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 08:49   #279
Senior - BHPian

Well played by Algeria today morning. What a match. They really created some good opportunities in the first 20 minutes of the game. Their gk also did a great job. Sadly, the second goal scored by Ozil came off a defensive mistake. They soon scored and made it 1-2 after that. If only they had held, this match would have also gone to penalties. Well played Algeria!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 09:18   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As for yesterday's game, there was contact in the Robben incident, just not big enough for the 'flailing arms' display, but which player doesn't go down in a heap at minimal contact these days? And there was at least one clear penalty-worthy incident against the same player earlier. Would the Mexican coach be willing to concede that penalty? "No sir, the referee got it right that time because it benefited me, but this one went against us so it's the referee's fault we got knocked out. Waa Waa Waa!"
So true. These things happen. In the same match one decision can go your way and one not. The Dutch should have been awarded the penalty for the foul committed earlier on Robben. And probbaly Mexico wouldn't have been able to even score 1 goal if the Dutch had scored that time. So they cannot blame the penalty for there defeat.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 12:34   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Sadly, the second goal scored by Ozil came off a defensive mistake. They soon scored and made it 1-2 after that. If only they had held, this match would have also gone to penalties. Well played Algeria!
I actually felt that with two goals up and two minutes to go, the German defense let up a bit. They we dead tired as was evident from their runs both at the front and in the back. Full credit to Algeria to maintain their energy levels after two full hours of energy sapping football. The difference with Germany was quite evident at the end!
yosbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 15:00   #282
BHPian

While I await the Quarter-finals, the France vs Germany is one I am over eager about. Either way it pans, one of my most dis-liked teams is going out.
I place Germany above France in my list.

The Brazil vs Columbia will be a heart-breaker. I am a huge fan of Brazil, but Columbia( and Rodriguez) have grown so much in me. I will feel bad for either team losing. If Columbia go on to win, they go right on top of my list.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:10   #283
Senior - BHPian

Argentina scraping by. For all the talent at their disposal, they looked clueless for large periods, esp.in the second half and 1ET. Title contenders? Not if they play like this.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:20   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Argentina scraping by. For all the talent at their disposal, they looked clueless for large periods, esp.in the second half and 1ET. Title contenders? Not if they play like this.
+1 to that.

I am a huge fan of the team, but if they are going to play the way they did today, then the title wont have their name on it.
Leaving a couple of runs and shoots by Messi and Di Maria, the entire game was below average.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:57   #285
Team-BHP Support

OMG! US vs. Belgium - what a match! More like Howard vs. Belgium. 15 saves and a world record!

Name:  V01EY8Z.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  144.1 KB

Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote