Belgium 2 1.10%
Algeria 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2014, 11:04   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

So glad that that soccer playing nation is out of the Football World Cup. Belgium really pushed in the second half and would have gone through on at least 3 chances?

Listless performance by Argentina. But at the end, a win is a win and they have moved to the next round.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:38   #287
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
OMG! US vs. Belgium - what a match! More like Howard vs. Belgium. 15 saves and a world record!
Terrific Tim's performance was simply out of this world! USA lacked imagination when they went forward, and Belgium easily had the most opportunities. They would have won by a big margin in normal time, if it were not for the USA's custodian.

The super subs for the two sides changed the game completely in extra time. USA's tremendous fightback after going two down had me believe we were going to have another game decided by penalties, but it was not to be.

It's sad to see great 'keepers going home in the second round - Howard, Ochoa, Enyeama etc. These goalkeepers have been as (if not more) brilliant to watch as the goal scorers in this tournament!

In the first match, Argentina huffed and puffed their way to a one goal victory in extra time. They seem to be too dependent on their maestro Messi's magic. Di Marķa is also playing brilliantly, but the others have to step up and contribute consistently if Argentina are to go all the way, which I hope they do!
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:01   #288
Senior - BHPian

They really turned it into a nail biting match , Argentina might be progressing towards the finals but they manner in which they are doing it is not exactly reeking of confidence. All they needed to do was hang onto the ball for a few minutes after the scored their goal yesterday and that too turned out to be an uphill task for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
In the first match, Argentina huffed and puffed their way to a one goal victory in extra time. They seem to be too dependent on their maestro Messi's magic. Di Marķa is also playing brilliantly, but the others have to step up and contribute consistently if Argentina are to go all the way, which I hope they do!
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:36   #289
Senior - BHPian

Argentina won by a whisker.
Without the beautiful Messi pass and the blunder by the Swiss in the death minutes, Argentina may well have gone to the penalties.

Honestly, none of the top teams, including Brazil are playing confidently to be termed favourites for the WC.

Germany and to some extent the Dutch are top teams for the contention.
arnabchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:00   #290
BHPian

2 games of absolute extremes yesterday.

Argentina Vs Switzerland literally bored me to death except the last 5-6 minutes (or was that 3?) Somehow a defensive lapse and Messi combined to take Argentina through. Felt the Swiss were playing for time and not for the first time, such a team has paid heavily.

USA Vs Belgium - What a game! Astounded by Tim Howard's effort. Belgium simply kept coming at USA all the time. In the end, it was a bit cruel to see USA go out. Belgium though were clearly the better team. To me, this was the best match so far in the WC.

Now in the last 8, I honestly do not think anyone except the Dutch are the slight favorites. Any team can beat the other on any given day. To me, the Dutch are in great form (if they can still take the heat) and would be difficult to beat now.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:31   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
2 games of absolute extremes yesterday.

Argentina Vs Switzerland literally bored me to death except the last 5-6 minutes (or was that 3?) Somehow a defensive lapse and Messi combined to take Argentina through. Felt the Swiss were playing for time and not for the first time, such a team has paid heavily.
I don't think so. The only time I thought the Swiss team were playing for time was before the goal and the end of the second period of extra time. They ragged Argentina all through the match and I guess it was only tired legs which made them play for time nearing the final whistle. Argentina, apart from Messi and Di Maria were more or less ordinary. I would have liked to this game to go to penalties as 0-0 was a fair score given the performances of both the teams.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:47   #292
Senior - BHPian

I foresee a Netherlands vs Argentina FINAL...!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:57   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I don't think so. The only time I thought the Swiss team were playing for time was before the goal and the end of the second period of extra time. .
Yeah, that's what I meant. They played for time all throughout the 2nd half of extra time.

Oh Argentina were ordinary. I think Belgium would quite fancy them now.

@finneyp: Netherlands V Argentina can meet in the semis, not in the finals. I fancy the Dutch playing the Germans or Brazil for the finals.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 2nd July 2014 at 14:02.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:52   #294
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that France would beat the Germans and Colombia would knock out Brazil.
Argentina might still be able to scrap thru again but I don't see them going beyond Semis. Actually it will be a very difficult task for them to even beat the Belgium team if they don't step up their game.
Dutch team is playing good but I hate that team and specially Robben and would've been happy to see them going out of the tourney. But doesn't look like that Costa Rica has enough fire power to get pass the Dutch :(
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:14   #295
BHPian

Here to blow my own trumpet a bit I had predicted semi final matches as BRA-GER and NED-ARG. It looks close at the moment. Although as some one mentioned, there is a wee bit chance that FRA might somehow beat GER, although none of them are are the top of their games. All the second tier teams did great so far and the historically big teams somehow scraped through to QF. However, make no mistake Argentina will easily outplay Belgium. Most of the teams Argentina came across so far were tactically defensive teams against whom any of the other teams would have played as dull. The fact that they still managed to win is a great sign. Secondly, law of averages should now work in favour of Argentina as most of their players have not done well so far. So few of them are due for better performance. Messi can afford an off day with Belgium and be back to kick some oranje arses in SF. Belgians are really not as strong as they appear. Argie will rip them apart as Belgium also tend to play an open game.
neelchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:32   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I have a feeling that France would beat the Germans and Colombia would knock out Brazil.
Argentina might still be able to scrap thru again but I don't see them going beyond Semis. Actually it will be a very difficult task for them to even beat the Belgium team if they don't step up their game.
Dutch team is playing good but I hate that team and specially Robben and would've been happy to see them going out of the tourney. But doesn't look like that Costa Rica has enough fire power to get pass the Dutch :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
Here to blow my own trumpet a bit I had predicted semi final matches as BRA-GER and NED-ARG. .
This time it has to be Argentina on one side of the pitch in the finals. Agreed their performance is less than desired but somehow they are summing up the grit to make that winner and I think thats what matters. Also all the 3 teams they have played are defensive in nature and were dull games, but the one against Nigeria which was a open game was a stunner. So I guess its like the saying goes, you tend to rise up to your opponents.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:34   #297
Senior - BHPian

Sad that Argentina & Netherlands would meet in the Semis, would have loved to see them both in the Final.

Anyway, hope Columbia beats Brazil & France beats Germany in the QF, and Columbia beats France in Semis...
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:51   #298
Team-BHP Support

Haha this is nice! From his yearbook:

The Football World Cup 2014 Thread-moq3hgn.jpg

Source: Imgur
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:29   #299
BHPian

With the exception of Columbia, I'd say we have the regulars in the Q/F. I know its wishing for too much, but if Columbia win, there would be nothing like it.
Let some newbies win too.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 19:19   #300
Senior - BHPian

Ok, back to World Cup matches after a few days!

I predict Brazil going through on penalties.

And Germany winning 2 - 1 in 90 minutes
Attached Images

naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote