Russia 0 0%
Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th June 2014, 12:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
Now, it is simply not humanly possible to be a one-man team.
You got a point there - but it was difficult then too . Anyway, my point was Messi has thrived when the midfield is strong and gives him a lot of freedom up front, instead of trying to play deeper in his own side - he was not too good doing that in the last edition of world cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aw shucks - I am not too keen on using the term "Soccer" when it is actually football......but wth, lets carry on with discussing the Football World Cup.
Err...I thought you started the thread??

Most times the overwhelming favourites do not go on to win - Let's see how it turns out for Brazil this time
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 14:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
You got a point there - but it was difficult then too .
Oh yes yes yes ,I totally agree it was almost inhuman then as well. For me Maradona is the god and Messi god-son, not that I am very religious, but analogy would be Maradona is like Lord Shiva and Messi Lord Ganesha .

P.S. I will pass on the debate about how successful Messi actually was in controlling the midfield last world cup except the Germany game
neelchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 17:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
Oh yes yes yes ,I totally agree it was almost inhuman then as well. For me Maradona is the god and Messi god-son, not that I am very religious, but analogy would be Maradona is like Lord Shiva and Messi Lord Ganesha .

P.S. I will pass on the debate about how successful Messi actually was in controlling the midfield last world cup except the Germany game

Goldman sachs has predicted Brazil will lift the 2014 fifa cup. brazil and argentina will face in finals and brazil will win in a 3-1 difference. This is the prediction.

Any idea where to source duplicate FIFA 2014 bumper stickers. i need them badly.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 00:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Err...I thought you started the thread??
Yeah and one of the mods thought it deem fit to change the word to "soccer" for our US fans I guess
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 05:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah and one of the mods thought it deem fit to change the word to "soccer" for our US fans I guess
I dont like this either! Football it is and it should be.. not Soccer!!

All the friendlies are over and couple of people had to miss because of injuries sustained in that. It is very unfair for them after having coming so far to the tournament.

Brazil though won their friendlies didnt look comfortable against either Serbia or Panama. It was the same for England as well. Both looked out of sorts. Hope they get their act together before the tournament begins.

Is anyone going to the tournament to watch it live?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 07:09   #51
BHPian

I for once hope it will be Argentina but their defence apart from Zabaleta worries me , been a massive fan of them since Italia 90 days which was my first experience of watching football as a kid along with my dad , feel Belgium are the Dark horses with some real good players like Hazard , Lukaku , Company and a fantastic Goalie in Courtous and Mignolet as the back up. Sick and tired of the media going mad over England's chances before every major tournament over here , will be tough for them to get out of Round 1 , hopeful that it will be a fantastic spectacle and no vuvuzela's to give massive headache by the end of the match!
vickzkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 09:25   #52
BHPian

Default Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Have been with Brazil ever since I remember watching football, in 1986. I prefer internationals to club football. In 1990, i rooted for Argentina though and was heartbroken when they lost the final. Felt sorry for Diego.

Apart from that, its been Brazil always. I like their fearless, free-flowing style. Sometimes its too good for their liking and end up getting beaten because of a weaker defense. This time, playing at home will have their positives and negatives. Support, of-course will be over the top, but so will the pressure.

Eagerly awaiting the kick-off!
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 08:27   #53
Team-BHP Support

Supporting Portugal, Brazil and England - in that order. Don't like to see Germany or Italy winning.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 08:34   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Don't like to see Germany or Italy winning.
Was pretty much like that having seen Matheus, Voller, Sammer, Bierhoff. But once I saw the new Germany (folks like Muller), am slowly changing. The new Germany is not just long passes. Again to me Italy was all about defence (the la-Iron curtain days of Maldini-Baresi). Attack was mostly one man show (Baggio/Del-Piero etc). But really felt Germany has changed at the grass roots when I saw the world cup last time.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 03:23   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Fifa WC 2014

This world cup is one of the most open WC in recent history but I still voted for Brazil, Spain being the other one.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 07:35   #56
BHPian

Finally the world cup started!!The wait finally over, was waiting with eagerness to see how the first game pans out.

Brazil vs Croatia : The long standing tradition of upsets in the opening game of the world cup was almost to be continued as croatia looked the most lively of the two in the match and deservedly took the lead albeit in an unfortunate way. But Brazil started to settle down and got the equalizer through Neymar. They were lucky to get the second penalty and croatia to get a disallowed goal. Oscar who performed brilliantly deservedly got the final goal late in the game.

Although Brazil won the match it was not at all convincing and were almost looking out of sorts for majority of the match. Hopefully this match should work as a wake up call and they start to play better in the next matches. Croatia, tough luck!!
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 09:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

I really don't agree to that penalty. Gone are the kinds of Pierluigi Collina and Howard Webb.

Brazil didn't have the flow going, it was just a Neymar and Oscar show. Initially, the ball was not sticking to the defender's legs and they paid for it. After a goal, Croatia got complacent, the initial spear-headedness vanished. And the unfortunate penalty nailed the coffin.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 09:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Woohooo! The World Cup gets underway. But the less said about Sony Six coverage, the better. Seriously - they couldn't get ONE decent host from India? Why did they have to get John Abraham and Gaurav in there? Couldn't get a footballer to at least be comfortable enough with Crouch and Silvestre? Gaurav even said that the teams were running on to the ground for a "pitch inspection". Man, these VJs should stick to doing just that - commentating in senseless reality shows. Stay there!

Rant over

Now, to the match - Brazil really didn't look all that decisive. And IMHO, if that penalty hadn't been given (it shouldn't have been given) - Croatia might just have crawled back to win or atleast draw the match. Tough luck and Kovac looked understandably frustrated.

Can't wait for the Spain Netherlands fixture.

And btw - if any of you like keeping score in an excel sheet, I've attached the World Cup fixtures sheet created by Excely - very neatly done and calculates the standings etc when you just enter the scoreline.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx World Cup 2014.xlsx (355.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 13th June 2014, 09:34   #59
BHPian

You guys have been up past midnight to watch these? I envy you..

Any pointers as to where can I watch the replays - online/ on the tv?

Thanks.

P.S.: Work schedule doesn't allow me to be up past midnight. It's a simple choice - either football or face the famed bangalore morning chaos (sometimes referred to as traffic by the extremely polite & patient souls).
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 10:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
You guys have been up past midnight to watch these? I envy you..

Any pointers as to where can I watch the replays - online/ on the tv?

Thanks.

P.S.: Work schedule doesn't allow me to be up past midnight. It's a simple choice - either football or face the famed bangalore morning chaos (sometimes referred to as traffic by the extremely polite & patient souls).
Nope - didn't stay up for the whole match. Watched till 2 AM and watched the rest this morning. But tonight I can and will stay up. Sorry not sure if they are showing anything online - but streams of the replay will be there.