Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th June 2014, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Have you changed your (legal) signature?

November 2013 my signature verification was cleared by SBI for my Auto loan with ICICI Bank.

January 2014 i lost my debit card, applied for new which went back after wrong address provided by the bank. It took 45 days for my debit card to reach me. Mean while i was helpless having only one bank account and only way to withdraw money was through self cheque, which i did twice the first time the it was smooth process the second time when i submitted the self cheque at the counter the bank lady asked are you the person holding account to which i showed her my passbook which has my photo with banks stamp, she simply said your signature is not matching i said her last time i had withdrawn money using same signature all my cheques issued for payments to others got cleared till date and i have not encountered any problem for signature.

she asked me to give another cheque with signature which i did again she said signature does not match. when i asked what is the problem she said the "E" in your surname is not the same as the specimen signature in our records and even insisted that she wont issue money to me and that i should go to ATM for withdrawing money.

I lost my cool and blasted the lady for being so arrogant and that i had applied for new debit card which has not reached me even after 4 weeks post application, finally she agreed and said this time i am giving you money next time i won't.

After this episode i had issued many cheques with same signature which got cleared and even opened an account with ICICI Bank to avoid such situations in future
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 16:41   #17
A.R
BHPian

I've done this and recently.

For most banks:
To legally change your signature in a Bank, you need an affidavit on a stamp paper (125 Rs or something), notarized along with an application requesting same.

@ Bangalore, this can be done at any BDA complex.

Some banks don't ask for an affidavit. They have an application form where you need to sign your Old and New signature and provide supporting documents.

For other purposes, like PAN, fill the application online, mention the change required as signature, attach the old PAN copy, print and sign the application with new signature and mail to their office.

For Passport, if the change in sign is significant, you will need an notarized affidavit and a supporting government issued document showing the new signature. Its best advised to do this at last, say after PAN.
A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 16:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have two signatures too.

The one I got pretty early in the day and only my passport carries that signature. So, every time I travel I have to consciously make an effort to ape that signature.

For all others, I have my regular one and have continued to use it.

My passport is only up for renewal in 2019, so i will not change it there till then.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:14   #19

Would it not be possible to do away completely with wet signatures and have digital signatures instead. If Tax/Financial documents can take digital signatures can we not have some mechanism to have digital signatures for all documents. I think doing it that ways will make sure there is no impact of getting old on signature graphics.
Prawaal is offline   Reply With Quote