Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th July 2006, 18:24   #1
ECM
BHPian

Default Sabji-Mandi,a funny episode

My good old friend decided to come in his car to my place just few days back.When he left his place I got a call fm him that his car is losing pickup.After 2 hrs again he called me that he barely managed to get a speed of 60KMs.FInally he broke down when destination was 40 kms far and we went to pick him up and toe the car as it was not able to move at all like a sloath(slowest animal on the earth).
Car handed over to garage and after 2 days when mechanics were unable to find a real cause of this we were wondering what is wrong in this car.While one of the mechanich revving the car I was moving around it and suddenly found that air flaw is not inuf fm the silencer,I told this to them.We removed the silencer and found something in it.
They cut it fm the top and wowwwwwwwwwwww..............
some potatoes(4 were the actual nos.) were inside it...!!!I have never come across such episode but my friend told me that last sunday he went to buy some sabjiz fm the market and parked his car in the parking,someone pushed potatoes inside the silencer hence it was totally block.
Lesson:-Send wives to buy subjiz in Auto and not in cars!!
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 18:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very funny............
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 18:45   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
some potatoes(4 were the actual nos.) were inside it...!!!I have never come across such episode but my friend told me that last sunday he went to buy some sabjiz fm the market and parked his car in the parking,someone pushed potatoes inside the silencer hence it was totally block.
Hey .... !! Strange that this has never happened to me inspite of me being in the sabzi mandi for a few months every year ......

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 18:54   #4
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey .... !! Strange that this has never happened to me inspite of me being in the sabzi mandi for a few months every year ......

Cheers
Once new generation of silencer will come where an apple can easily go inside you too will have this prob khaadu
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 18:57   #5
BHPian

On a more serious note, would advice you to check the valves. Very lucky if they arent burnt.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 19:07   #6
BHPian

thank god, i've never taken my car to a sabzi mandi.......
captainsokhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 19:19   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Once new generation of silencer will come where an apple can easily go inside you too will have this prob khaadu
Well, then I guess I gotta sit and hope that the new generation of silencers just dont come ... !!! And if they do then I guess Ill just have a mesh installed just inside the silencer ...

Quote:
And I hope this is not another trick to get wives to go and do the vege shopping ... ????

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 22:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Isnt this a form of vandalism?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 23:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

I know sometimes when people expect a new car, they get a lemon, but this is too much !
The largest external thing which has wrecked havoc on my car has been a mouse(mice?), but potatoes wow!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 11:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

filling up with water is done with diesel engines. Search the technical forum for details, there is a thread about that probably
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 11:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saajan_20
sideways

please be a lil precise on what exactly do u mean the valves being burnt by a blockage in the silencer ???

maybe i am a lil of topic
regards
saajan
To put it very simply, a blocked exhaust will result in increase in exhaust gas temeperatures. This will result in the internals of the engine running much hotter than they are designed to, as a result of which sever damage can be caused to pisons, valves, valve seats etc.

Temperature which is indicated on the teperature guage in any car is the temperature of the water and not of the engine internals it self. In order to keep an eye on internal temperature one will need to install an EGT (Exhaust gas temperature gauge). I am sure theres a whole lot more available on the web.

Hope that clears things up a little.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote