Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st August 2017, 05:53   #61

Default Re: The Woodworking Thread

Try Tung Oil finish Please. It is a good solution for exposed wooden surfaces. Can be easily reapplied. Directly available in Mumbai from importers who import it from China.
Ashok George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 08:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok George View Post
Try Tung Oil finish Please. It is a good solution for exposed wooden surfaces. Can be easily reapplied. Directly available in Mumbai from importers who import it from China.
Reapplying is an issue as the frame goes from the ground to 30ft height. That's why going for spar varnish as it will only be needed to be applied every two years and not every six months like other options. For all other window or doors am going with the cheapest option of wax as I can reapply it whenever I want as I have a power polisher which makes buffing a matter of minutes instead of hours.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 16:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Cannot comment on the long lasting part - as woodworking is a recent hobby that I have picked up , and only been practicing for the past 3-4 yrs.

Till date none of my builds using SR998 (laminate to plywood) have disintegrated.
Most (refinished dining chairs, my dad's writing table etc) are used heavily.
My home does experience extreme temperatures (low 40s to mid teens) and humidity variations, so only time can tell if anything falls apart - which I don't think is gonna happen.
Its been my personal experience and also knowledge received from multiple carpenters as my wife is an interior designer. Fevicol is a better option even though it takes longer to bond and needs additional work.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 15:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Cannot comment on the long lasting part - as woodworking is a recent hobby that I have picked up , and only been practicing for the past 3-4 yrs. Till date none of my builds using SR998 (laminate to plywood) have disintegrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
SR998 is faster to work with and gives more productivity to carpenters. For long term bonding its still Fevicol. SR998 gives away with temperature and humidity variations over a period of 2-3 years.
I use BOTH. I had seen a carpenter do this:
What I do is, that I use SR998 at the edges (say about 2 inches from edges and the remaining large areas in between with Fevicol SH.
Usually I do this for large spread portions but I agree with blackasta that the wood pieces I did solely with SR998 have also stayed put together.
Name:  Gluing.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  17.8 KB

On one such occasion, I was left with small portions of both the solutions so I did what every Indian does in such scenario - JUGAAD (Indian word for improvisation) and mixed both of them to get ample quantity for that specific job.
The mixed solution did the job pretty well but caused lots of bubbles that I had to press out using roller (kitchen pin).

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote