Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Wot car do u prefer?? - Used or New??
Used 9 29.03%
New 21 67.74%
Dunt give a damn! 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th November 2004, 05:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aight all the BHPians.Since we've discussed bout fave colors, fave cars,head n heart and a lotta other things.....tell us wot car u prefer.Used or New???

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 10:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

depends....
if i am getting a good used sonata for an accent's bugdet i might as well as go in for a sonata....the service costs and spares at the max will be 10% more from the accent
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 13:31   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

New...Always.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 14:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

For a 1st buy a 2nd hand.. Once iam thru wid my driving skills then definetly a new one
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 19:40   #5
BHPian

New always only to modify second hand cars
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 20:25   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its pretty obvious that if anyone is given a choice between a new example and an old one of the same model...whether its a Fiat, Ferrari, Honda etc...the sane mind would pick the new one.

But the real question is whether you would go for new cars available in 2004 (hence brand new) or cars from an earlier era.

If thats the case...my choice is definitely used. I'd pick a W124 over a new E Class any day. A Vtec over the new Honda City. A Classic over anything 4x4 available today.

Most of the top cars in my Indian and International list are no longer in production. Hence I have no option but to go for used.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 20:40   #7
BHPian

obviously new is the first choice.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 21:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

If I had MONEY, it's always new.

If money is a factor, will think of used to get the car i want.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 23:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Nov. 05 2004,08:05)]depends....
if i am getting a *good used sonata for an accent's bugdet i might as well as go in for a sonata....the service costs and spares at the max will be 10% more from the accent

Its vfm that appeals to me..... but given a choice between new and old of the same car for the same money, i would obviously go in for a new one!!
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2004, 01:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Given a choice it would always be new. But seeing todays auto scenario where the value of new cars after being driven out of the showroom falls like a pack of cards, buying a good clean pre owned example is not a bad bet after all. If i get a good nicely maintained second hand car I would def go for it. Of course another reason is the one GTO pointed . If you like a car which is no longer in production you have no option but to buy a used one.

Plus nowadays you get certified used cars with warraties and free services so there ya go!!

Dippy
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2004, 02:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Given a choice and a lot of money, I'll definitely pick a new car over a used one.
But, if I had 7 lakhs to spare and if I had to choose between a brand new Honda City and a used W124 Merc (a car that I love), there's no way I'll choose the Honda.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2004, 02:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nothing like the feeling of driving a car with less than 100km on the odo. Given the choice between a 2nd hand sonata and a new accent at abt the same price, i'd certainly go for the accent..
Deeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2004, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

my first choice will always be a new car.
but then if i ever want to go for a second hand car,it has to be in production.so that there wud never be a problem with the spares or the service.
no matter wat my heart says,this wud be the topmost concern.
tats the reason i wud go for a baleno over vtec,even though the vtec is the ultimate.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2004, 23:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well,i wud prefer used over a new one.The one basic reason being that i can spend that saved money on buying a used car and modding it to the core.For instance,get a 2001 Lancer for 3.7,put in another 1.3 on Bodykits and Performance to the NOS level and there you are.5L and the car is ready to kick some serious butt.But i wud'nt even mind picking up a new one for my family and keeping it stock.
But my personal preferance wud be a Used.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2004, 00:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used car makes no sense in India because:

1. Everyone drives like a luanatic. You will hardly ever find a car that hasn't had an accident ever. If i was abroad, I would look at an used car but in India, no way!

2. there is no way you can know if a particular car model is a lemon. Again, Abroad you can find out each and every detail about cars including how many times it was recalled by the maker and if it's a lemon. Therefore, again, in western countries, you can look at used but no way can you do that in India.

3. sure, there are certified pre-owned cars but they are just too costly. One of my friends bought a Maruti Zen from a true value outlet. It was, if i remember correctly, a 2001 model. But yes, it was carbeuratted engine one with A/c and Stereo. No body colour bumpers, forget about other features. Guess the price he paid? Rs. 2.75 lakhs!!!

amit is offline   Reply With Quote