Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 20:19   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
As far as television is concerned, for last one and a half years TRAI has limited the advertising time to 12 minutes per hour, but I don't think there is any such regulation for radio content, that's why listening to FM is more painful than watching TV.
But is that really so? By the number of ads we see and how much I have to FFWD ads, I think it is more than 12 minutes.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 20:58   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,467
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

If we look at how broadband is charged we only pay for the bandwidth, not for what is carried on it. I think TV should be similar else one day it will be similar with fibre laid out to homes
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 13:20   #78
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Just discovered this on TED - a new trend for slow-TV (in Norway).
http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_hell...usly_addictive

Slow-TV is about covering an event in its entirety - without edits, breaks or frequent camera movements. All about watching life as it unfolds slowly. You might think it would be pretty hard for today's generation to have a long attention span, but surprisingly their shows gather high TRPs and are much appreciated by viewers.

Here's a 7hour long video of a train running in Norway with the camera attached at the front :

The video is very relaxing and sort of like meditation. I've always wanted to sit at the front of a train and watch scenery pass by and for me this is bliss.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 13:30   #79
BHPian
 
venuvedam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 125
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If we look at how broadband is charged we only pay for the bandwidth, not for what is carried on it. I think TV should be similar else one day it will be similar with fibre laid out to homes
I am not sure I agree with that. We pay for Netflix/Eros/Google Play Movies. We pay for an online backup solution. We pay for Google Drive storage (if we need more than 15 GB). We pay for Office 365 subscription.. The list is endless.

In other words, even now - we pay for the connection (the pipe) as well as the content. There are some free resources that we get to browse without paying anything. But there are free to air channels as well on the broadcast television.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 18:56   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,467
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I am not sure I agree with that. We pay for Netflix/Eros/Google Play Movies. We pay for an online backup solution. We pay for Google Drive storage (if we need more than 15 GB). We pay for Office 365 subscription.. The list is endless.

In other words, even now - we pay for the connection (the pipe) as well as the content. There are some free resources that we get to browse without paying anything. But there are free to air channels as well on the broadcast television.
But we choose what we want. We choose our apps. Any new channel/app, we can instantly use them as we wish. Not so with TV.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 09:58   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 57
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But is that really so? By the number of ads we see and how much I have to FFWD ads, I think it is more than 12 minutes.
It's 10 minutes for advertisements and 2 minutes for promos. For more precise details follow the link:
http://www.medianama.com/2012/05/223...al-screen-ads/
rev_rohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 13:41   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Just discovered this on TED - a new trend for slow-TV (in Norway).
http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_hell...usly_addictive

Slow-TV is about covering an event in its entirety - without edits, breaks or frequent camera movements. All about watching life as it unfolds slowly. You might think it would be pretty hard for today's generation to have a long attention span, but surprisingly their shows gather high TRPs and are much appreciated by viewers.

Here's a 7hour long video of a train running in Norway with the camera attached at the front :

The video is very relaxing and sort of like meditation. I've always wanted to sit at the front of a train and watch scenery pass by and for me this is bliss.
Oh this is indeed a find! Thank you very much for posting. It is interesting indeed. I gotta try this on a weekend

Shouldn't allow friends to come over when I am watching or I am sure they will term me a weirdo.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 14:11   #83
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 463
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
It's 10 minutes for advertisements and 2 minutes for promos. For more precise details follow the link:
http://www.medianama.com/2012/05/223...al-screen-ads/
That news item is from 2012. Its obvious that it is not being enforced and followed. It says no partial screen ads but we get ads / promotional info in the middle of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Shouldn't allow friends to come over when I am watching or I am sure they will term me a weirdo.
On the contrary i thought it would be fun to let the train video run on the TV screen whle chatting with friends; it might give the impression of sitting together inside a train while it travels through scenic Sweden. In fact the TED show host mentioned an old lady / man watching the show, getting up to fetch her/his baggage when the train arrived at its destination.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 17:02   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
That news item is from 2012. Its obvious that it is not being enforced and followed. It says no partial screen ads but we get ads / promotional info in the middle of the screen.


On the contrary i thought it would be fun to let the train video run on the TV screen whle chatting with friends; it might give the impression of sitting together inside a train while it travels through scenic Sweden. In fact the TED show host mentioned an old lady / man watching the show, getting up to fetch her/his baggage when the train arrived at its destination.
True that, I found my friends liked it too! Played it off Chromecast on the TV! What a ride!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 18:30   #85
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 32 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Smile Re: Why do we pay for TV?

I no longer watch TV. However, given the chance, I watch F1 when Martin Brundle is commentating.
Coming back to the topic at hand, didn't Indian Govt. last year or so introduce a rule that any TV channel cannot show ads for more than 12 minutes in an hour's time?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 15:49   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

If India (re-)introduces broadcast fee in the tune of 5000 Rs/year per household for very minimal ads on national television, would you pay it? By minimal, I mean < 5 min ads over the course of an F1 race. You pay this if you own a TV, regardless of whether you use it or not, or have a set top box to see private channels or not.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 17:48   #87
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 32 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If India (re-)introduces broadcast fee in the tune of 5000 Rs/year per household for very minimal ads on national television, would you pay it? By minimal, I mean < 5 min ads over the course of an F1 race. You pay this if you own a TV, regardless of whether you use it or not, or have a set top box to see private channels or not.

What yoy are referring to here is a TV Licence much like what we had in the UK.
You have to pay for TV Licence if your household has a TV or Laptop with internet connectivity.
I would gladly pay for TV Licence here as well if that warrants a BBC like coverage (without any ads whatsoever).
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:22   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KA03
Posts: 225
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Why do we pay for TV?

I was hoping someone would create an app that would mute your tv when a bunch of "watchers" pressed mute on their smartphone (remote?) when they were watching what you were watching (same channel / program)! - Crowdsourced realtime mute I know that pirate(?) networks used a similar tactic to share keys when watching encrypted content whenever the STB demanded a verification code.
mvadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't two wheelers pay toll?!! Tejas@perioimpl Street Experiences 16 22nd November 2008 15:15
Poll: What are you willing to pay for a Car of The Year and why? proton The Indian Car Scene 0 14th July 2008 18:32
Why oh why do we have girlfriends ? Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 71 26th June 2006 16:12
Why Diesel,why no CNG ?? tanishq The Indian Car Scene 4 15th May 2006 22:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks