Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th August 2006, 12:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha
Any logic why we may never compete with them(UK, USA etc).
Because I don't think we need to. We are fast developing, ourselves and other nations are aspiring to be us.
Stand up and be recognised, gentlemen, Indians are progressing on a wierd, eccentric tangent, tradition mixed with superstition family values, lack of civic sense. But we are progressing fast, in our own way, in our own method.

And IMO there is no reason, need to aspire to be or compete with ay of the so-called developed countries. I'd much rather we developed in our own way.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 13:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

All I get is a message - "SERVER NOT AVAILABLE" or "THE PAGE COULD NOT BE FOUND"
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 14:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I am happy to see the effort this website is putting in.
But, i am clueless as to how they benifit by helping us, like they say there is no free lunch!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 06:27   #19
BHPian

I think RX135 is right..... Haven't got any response to my complaint yet.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 06:33   #20
BHPian

Just reading there report at http://www.corecentre.org/database/d...portjune06.pdf

They have over 12000 complaints pending!!!!

Mera number kab aayega???
Old 18th August 2006, 10:30   #21
BHPian

Thought I wuold add an anecdote of one of my friends, who takes it on himself to get justice done.
He had purchased a Siemens phone (dont remember the model number) but which had a claim on the website that it allows 30s of video recording (this was a year or so back). After purchasing the phone my friend finds out that it does allow 30s of recording but doesnt allow it to be downloaded on to a PC. The description on the website was deliberately phrased so that it seems like it could be downloaded. [I dont recollect the exact wording but take my word for it, it was a cheap gimmick by a big MNC].
My friend pursued them relentlessly and after some 10 odd calls and one week of badgering them, including threats of lawsuit with the support of the some Conusmer Protection Society in Blore, they actually sent someone down to the campus to meet with him. Eventually he got a full refund.

Bottom line is, Consumers are taken advantage of because of our 'chalta hai' and 'thats how it works' attitude. Till we dont do something about it, nothing is going to happen.
srikantans04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 11:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikantans04

Bottom line is, Consumers are taken advantage of because of our 'chalta hai' and 'thats how it works' attitude. Till we dont do something about it, nothing is going to happen.
Spot on bro.........its like we indians breathe that Compromising lackadaisical attitude everytime...though times are changing ...but still the "Chalta hai'" attitude prevails.......every alternate day ....i read a case in papers wherein consumser has been brought to justise by consumer courts(yesterday only MTNL was fined 10k for Harrasment in an over-billing case in delhi) .....Story a Moral Simple ..............its YOU who has to take the Plunge...
speedofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 23:58   #23
BHPian

10 days and no response yet!
Old 26th August 2006, 01:33   #24
BHPian

#1,
Does this mean that every 5 star hotel is at fault. The last time I was in Leela Palace in Bangalore, they were charging something insane. It was something like Rs250 or Rs 450 for a bottle of water.
Ofcourse they do pour that water into a Leela palace glass, I still thought the price was ridiculous.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 16:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
And IMO there is no reason, need to aspire to be or compete with ay of the so-called developed countries. I'd much rather we developed in our own way.
I second that... As Indians right now we are in a unique mix of time and chance... at the rate we are developing, we just have to be careful not to forget our past, our values and our culture.

Was watching a movie last night in Spice Mall noida and there was this bunch of 18 year olds playing with their popcorn during the intermission. They were playing who could spit out the popcorn the furthest... They were competing while seated, which meant that popcorn was being spit out over the next few rows of seats.

Knowing we live in a country where people die of hunger, though I found this disturbing, I did not say anything to the kids, just gave them a stare of disapproval. Even though they stopped, it sorta dawned on me that this generation doesnt live by the values we do... And while I celebrate the concept of independence, freedom and free will, I just wish we dont Americanise that soon...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 17:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just registered a complaint against a resturant for overcharging for a bottle of mineral water. Will keep u fellows informed.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 18:10   #27
BHPian

I also just registered a complaint against a resturant for ill treatment and manhandle. Will keep u guyz updated...
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 12:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Knowing we live in a country where people die of hunger,...........it sorta dawned on me that this generation doesnt live by the values we do........ I just wish we dont Americanise that soon...

1. Its disgusting to see people ordering excessive amounts of food just to "show off" and then not bothering to eat any of it!! How are we so blind to what goes on around us ? There are little kids on the streets of our cities who barely manage one square meal a day.

2. Americanise......... uggggggggggghhhhhhhhh Who in their right minds want to be like them... okay westernization,thats acceptable. As long as we dont forget what our culture BELIEVES IN. India.. the jewel of asia !!! No going down the george bush path do you hear me!
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 12:53   #29

Just registered a complaint with corecentre against TVS Spectra. The usual - no spares, poor service, no exchange offers (would you believe it - they offered me Rs.1500/- for my Rs.34000/- scooter, while Bajaj Motors offered Rs.6500/-... which just proves how much TVS values it's own products!!! I blame it all on Sachin Tendulkar!)
vinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 04:20   #30
BHPian

i bought the bauch & Lomb lens solution about 2 weeks back when i opend the seal i found a green sticker on it saying free with soft lenses and he charged me Rs 145 for it tried to call the same day but the shop was closed and the bill said goods once sold will not be taken back so till m orning forgot all about it. Can i still lodge a complaint as i dont have the bill and its a 2 week old case ?
irulee is offline   Reply With Quote