Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup 2015 ?
Australia 64 34.04%
England 1 0.53%
India 44 23.40%
New Zealand 31 16.49%
Pakistan 2 1.06%
South Africa 43 22.87%
Sri Lanka 0 0%
West Indies 3 1.60%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2015, 19:44   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Now when & where do we play our quarters & semis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Also, the knockout line-ups are getting clearer.
India are assured of finishing top of the table in Group B now which means they'll play at the MCG against either England or Bangladesh.
If India qualify for the Semis, they'll play at the SCG
Old 9th March 2015, 20:25   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My gut feel says we'll get thrashed and then all the mauka mauka jokes will be on us.
This mauka mauka silliness is now taking the proportions of gargantuan pompousness on the part of our media. Someone needs to seriously ask these guys to stop this circus. Jumping and dancing around Team India is one thing but making fun of a different country's team and it's supporters is absurdly immature to say the least.
Old 9th March 2015, 20:49   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Makers of the Mauka ad series have forgot the logic.

1st Ad: Mauka to beat India in WC. Was good. Really good

2nd Ad: SA fans singing Mauka Mauka with the 3-0 record. Was good too.

3rd Ad: Why would the Pakistani guy sit with SA? If bursting crackers at every match India lost, he had lots of it from 1992 till 2011. There goes the logic for a toss. Same non-existence of logic when the UAE guy gives him the UAE T-shirt. Another question is where are they watching? In India or Pakistan?

4th Ad: The courier Guy gets him the WI T-shirt and gives him Holi colours since he can't burst his crackers. I don't know if Yepme is even doing business in Pakistan. Even if it does, why would some delivery guy in Pakistan play a joke against the Pakistani. Even if we assume that the Pakistani guy came to India? why would he do that?

5th Ad: He comes to India, wears a blue Jersey and supports India so that Pakistan can advance. Ad is good but the logic is again defeated.
6th Ad: Ad is ok, but again the logic is defeated.
If he had to burst crackers at Pakistan's win, he would have done it when Pakistan won the World cup in 1992.

Some people tell me that I should not be taking it so seriously, but when there is a series of Ads, there should be at least some isn't it? After all its not called "A series of Ads" for nothing.

Some people just don't know where to stop I feel. Its ok if there is no Ad at all instead of such illogical series of Ads.
Old 10th March 2015, 07:48   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Some people tell me that I should not be taking it so seriously, but when there is a series of Ads, there should be at least some isn't it? After all its not called "A series of Ads" for nothing.

Some people just don't know where to stop I feel. Its ok if there is no Ad at all instead of such illogical series of Ads.
Actually there wan't supposed to be an series in the beginning I believe. They came out with the India Pak add and it clicked very well with the audience. Hence hey decided to continue with the concept for the India vs SA match as there was some rivalry there too. But post that they couldn't use that excuse. But the India Pakistan rivalry is so celebrated in our nation that they must have thought its better to translate the add series into a revenge concept where the Pak fan is waiting for India to lose so that he can burst his crackers.

Overall it still is quite an interesting concept.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:28   #185
BANNED

India is in their 5th match and they have again all out the opponent. So the team famous for batting and infamous for bowling is now relying on their bowling.

When other teams famous for their bowling are allowing other teams to score even 300+ runs, Indian bowlers (and fielders too) have't even allowed 250+ runs so far (except Ireland who have scored 257 today).

This performance reminds me of the Indian team's performance in the World Cup 2003 played under Ganguly's captaincy. That time also the bowlers turned out into our trump card. The only match when bowlers failed was the final which we lost in that world cup.

I am feared if our bowlers fail in one of the upcoming match, then can we expect from our batsman that they do the rest of the job? We couldn't' do it with Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Yuvraj etc in 2003 in a high pressure final match against Australia and today we don't have any batsman of that caliber except Virat. And don't forget, today the score of 400 has become yesterday's 300 in modern one day cricket. So who knows what score we will have to see if our bowlers fail!

But positive thing, our team seem the only one with consistency in the performance and have played predictable cricket so far in the World Cup compared to other teams which have seen lot of ups and downs in their performance.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 10th March 2015 at 10:41.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:42   #186
BHPian

How is the QF opponents decided? Is it Pool A's 1st team play against Pool B'1 4th team? If this is true, will it be an India vs Sri Lanka in the QF? For that to happen, Bangladesh need to win against New Zealand and Sri Lanka has to loose against Scotland! Is there even a remote possibility for this to happen? I would be surprised if this happens.

Any ideas as to who India might be facing in the Semis?

Last edited by joe1980 : 10th March 2015 at 11:47.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:51   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
How is the QF opponents decided?
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 321
Size:  14.0 KB

CWC 2015 Wiki
Old 10th March 2015, 12:01   #188
BHPian

I would then predict a New Zealand vs South Africa and Australia vs India as the Semi Finals setup! What you guys predict?
Old 10th March 2015, 12:41   #189
BHPian

QF's should pan out like this:

1. NZ V WI/Ireland - New Zealand win
2. South Africa V Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka to win (risking it but get that feel)
3. Australia V Pakistan - Australia
4. India V Bangadesh - India (ofcourse!)

Semis:
1. New Zeland Vs. Sri Lanka : New Zealand to win
2. India Vs. Australia : Tough one to call but Australia are the favourites

PS. BDs' yesterday win over England was brilliant. Meanwhile the Poms still refuse to admit something is absolutely rotten with that system. When the management is hell bent on spoiling your team, I believe supporters just should not care. This defeat is just lowest point one can get. And the team mgmt still has the guts to say, KP has no chance in this squad.

As a cricket lover, I was aghast that one of the best players in the world is not allowed to play because of a clash of egos. They should understand that the game is poorer without KP.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 10th March 2015 at 12:48.
Old 10th March 2015, 12:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

India performing well till now. Reminds me of their performance in Last Champions Trophy in England where we remained unbeaten. If our bowling clicks as it is doing im sure we can beat Australia too. I think slowly India s chances of lifting this Cup are increasing .
Old 10th March 2015, 13:38   #191
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread

India complete the 5th win in the WC. The openers laid a solid foundation for the middle order to finish the game, hope they retain the click for the coming crucial matches. Was surprised to see Shikhar Dhawan struggle to reach the century, in the end he got frustrated and gave away his wicket.
Old 10th March 2015, 13:49   #192
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
QF's should pan out like this:

1. NZ V WI/Ireland - New Zealand win
2. South Africa V Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka to win (risking it but get that feel)
3. Australia V Pakistan - Australia
4. India V Bangadesh - India (ofcourse!)

If Ireland wins against Pakistan and WI wins against UAE, Pakistan may not make to QFs.
Old 10th March 2015, 13:58   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
If Ireland wins against Pakistan and WI wins against UAE, Pakistan may not make to QFs.
WI play UAE first - Lets say WI win by a good margin. Their NRR is still bad and might go up say Pakistan at the best (close to 0)

Then, Ireland play Pak - And Pak & Ireland would both know what to do to be in the QFs. Most likely Pak win - Pak would get through and Ireland will go out.

If Ireland win - they go through but Pak's NRR won't go down a lot and most likely WI will be out. NRR works well when you are chasing down a target rather than setting one up.

I am not saying that it will happen, but it is most likely to happen.

I would stick my neck out and say Pakistan will make the QFs.
Old 10th March 2015, 15:02   #194
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
WI play UAE first - Lets say WI win by a good margin. Their NRR is still bad and might go up say Pakistan at the best (close to 0)

Then, Ireland play Pak - And Pak & Ireland would both know what to do to be in the QFs. Most likely Pak win - Pak would get through and Ireland will go out.

If Ireland win - they go through but Pak's NRR won't go down a lot and most likely WI will be out. NRR works well when you are chasing down a target rather than setting one up.

I am not saying that it will happen, but it is most likely to happen.

I would stick my neck out and say Pakistan will make the QFs.

I believed that if Pakistan loses, their NRR will go down (lower than WI's NRR after their win over UAE) and hence suggested they may not qualify. However, I do not have exact understanding of how NRR is calculated. Won't stick my neck out
Old 10th March 2015, 15:18   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile the Poms still refuse to admit something is absolutely rotten with that system. When the management is hell bent on spoiling your team, I believe supporters just should not care. This defeat is just lowest point one can get. And the team mgmt still has the guts to say, KP has no chance in this squad.
I don't see KP as the only reason Poms got kicked out. You still need someone to bat at the other end and bowl well . Player vs board isn't going to be a happy story wherever it is. The story of Bravo vs WICB isn't any different. Poms have been whining about their prospects in CWC 15 for over a year in every cricket post-match show in Sky Cricket (including matches that doesnt have England it ).

In retrospect, WI seem to be in a lot more easier group compared to Poms. Infact WICB needs to learn much more lessons than ECB. Playing an injured Chris Gayle who refuses to take singles just sums how bad WI is with playing options. Infact WI should get kicked out in group stages as well. Otherwise the sad state of WI cricket affairs is going to continue.
Closed Thread