Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup 2015 ?
Australia 64 34.04%
England 1 0.53%
India 44 23.40%
New Zealand 31 16.49%
Pakistan 2 1.06%
South Africa 43 22.87%
Sri Lanka 0 0%
West Indies 3 1.60%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2015, 19:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread

This statement from Inzy gives me some hope

Quote:
Quote:
Let me tell you a story. In 1992, we went to Australia a month before World Cup. Not many know that we played six warm-up games prior to the World Cup and lost all six. [And] We went on to win the World Cup, Inzamam said on India’s form.
Old 4th February 2015, 20:39   #32
BHPian

I have a feeling India will peak around the later stage of the world cup. Of course I want them to win, but thats more of a patriotic feeling. Apart from that, I would love seeing New Zealand win. Guess they have a fair chance too this time with conditions favouring them.
Old 4th February 2015, 21:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Will be a miracle if India wins this time, with the kind of bowling resources we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Teams who have handled pressure well are India , SL and Aust. I still dont think we should count India out of this WC. in 2011 ( Won WC). .
In 2011 also we were not capable of reaching semifinals. I still feel there was something fishy. I am not being unpatriotic. This time also I don't think we shall reach semifinal.
Old 4th February 2015, 23:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I have a feeling India will peak around the later stage of the world cup. Of course I want them to win, but thats more of a patriotic feeling. Apart from that, I would love seeing New Zealand win. Guess they have a fair chance too this time with conditions favouring them.
Vibbs.
Hi.
NewZealand has been playing well for the last couple of years and they have beaten India and Pakistan.
Some players have been brilliant.
Let us hope.
Regards
Old 5th February 2015, 06:05   #35
Team-BHP Support

Some of the replies on this thread are absolute gems, especially the ones about the Indian bowling prowess! LOL!
Old 5th February 2015, 09:27   #36
BHPian

No offense , but seriously, this is the worst bowling line up with which India has ever gone into a world cup and yes, this includes the 1992 and 1996 teams. Never thought I would ever say that those attacks look pretty decent compared to what we have. And that is saying something especially with respect to the 1996 bowling attack.

Ishant - as Warne said -has played 1 game 100 times ; Varun Aaron - pace with no brains - looks like a lost deer ; same with Umesh. Ashwin is in b'cos there is no other decent spinner on the horizon. I think the only bowler who uses his brain is Bhuvneshwar Kumar even though he is not as talented as the other fast bowlers. Shami - no one knows what he will dish out , including himself !
Old 5th February 2015, 10:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
No offense , but seriously, this is the worst bowling line up with which India has ever gone into a world cup and yes, this includes the 1992 and 1996 teams. Never thought I would ever say that those attacks look pretty decent compared to what we have. And that is saying something especially with respect to the 1996 bowling attack.

Ishant - as Warne said -has played 1 game 100 times ; Varun Aaron - pace with no brains - looks like a lost deer ; same with Umesh. Ashwin is in b'cos there is no other decent spinner on the horizon. I think the only bowler who uses his brain is Bhuvneshwar Kumar even though he is not as talented as the other fast bowlers. Shami - no one knows what he will dish out , including himself !
+1

This has to be the worst bowling lineup ever for India in a WC.

But, I also feel that Binny can be the joker in the pack. He can do what Joginder Sharma did for us in the inagural T20 WC.
Old 5th February 2015, 15:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

A miracle is needed for India to reach Semis. Even a Miracle will not ensure India's Victory.
Old 5th February 2015, 21:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
A miracle is needed for India to reach Semis. Even a Miracle will not ensure India's Victory.
Actually not, the format is such that you only need 3 good days on the trot to win the Cup. India WILL reach the Quarters and I expect us to be in the semis at least.

However of we run into Australia in the QFs then we are done. But that will only happen if we play really bad. My gut feel is we finish 2nd or 3rd in the group and will face either England or NZ. I hope we play the Poms. After that you really need something extraordinary to go ahead.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 5th February 2015 at 21:03.
Old 5th February 2015, 21:22   #40
BHPian

I think this is the most open World Cup.
With atleast 6 teams having a realistic chance of winning the trophy, England and WI have an outside chance and 3-4 other teams who could cause an upset on their day.

I have a feeling that New Zealand may win this time, they have the most balanced team with all the bases covered. Kane Williamson would be the player to watch out for in the tournament. Also, they play all their matches up to the final in home conditions.
Australia and South Africa are the favourites as they have a number of match-winners but they may fall prey to pressure.

Hopefully, India would perform respectably in a tournament format which aides them immensely.
Old 8th February 2015, 15:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

So looking at the performance in the warm-up match today,looks like we need a lot of luck to get through to the semis. I'm sure they'll make it to the Quarters and from there hopefully have a few good days. Just hope we don't face australia atleast until semi's.

SA or Australia look to win the cup this time,I expect it to be a NZ v/s Aus/SA final.
Old 8th February 2015, 15:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

What ridiculous bowling today. Total crap.

#WillDefinitelyGiveItBack
Old 8th February 2015, 16:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Lathi Charge by Australians today. Clueless bowling, how could these bowlers make it to National team. Zaheer was the best bowler we had in the last decade.
Old 8th February 2015, 16:35   #44
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What ridiculous bowling today. Total crap.

#WillDefinitelyGiveItBack
It was a perfect tutorial on how not to bowl in the death overs. Umesh Yadav banging the ball mid-pitch & Maxwell hitting him all over the place.
Bowling really is a big worry & there is no solution in sight. It just could be better off bowling Ashwin & another spinner in the death overs.
Old 8th February 2015, 23:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This statement from Inzy gives me some hope
They had a young and ridiculously talented team, doing badly for other reasons (unfit seniors, politicking, divided dressing room etc.). Our 2015 squad has all the ills of Pak's 1992 campaign, but only a fraction of the talent.

It would be a mockery of the game if the current Indian team wins the title. Virat Kohli is probably the only world-class player we've got. Others are all hit-or-miss flat track bullies.
Closed Thread