Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup 2015 ?
Australia 64 34.04%
England 1 0.53%
India 44 23.40%
New Zealand 31 16.49%
Pakistan 2 1.06%
South Africa 43 22.87%
Sri Lanka 0 0%
West Indies 3 1.60%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2015, 21:27   #586
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread

Yes, that match was more a victory for Australia rather than NZ
Old 27th March 2015, 17:01   #587
BHPian

A lot of people and media have criticised this team for failing in the semi final. I for one, do not see it that way.
First, lets all be honest that odds were heavily stacked against India,specially when we lost the toss on a bone dry wicket. We pulled back really well in the end to get Australia under 330.

However this was never going to be an easy chase. I had my doubts as India were stretched by even weaker teams while chasing (Zim, WI). But the start had me interested.
Dhawan & Rohit really had Australia where they wanted and then we floundered. Aussies bowled well, with hardly anything loose.
Aussies were simply too good for us. No shame in getting beaten by them.

Love the team for what they achieved, when almost no one gave them any chance to reach the semis (me included). After the group stage, I felt as if the only team that could have beaten India was Australia and that's what happened.

Anyway, I hope this team keeps their head held up high. MSD you are an absolute superstar!
Old 27th March 2015, 19:05   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
A lot of people and media have criticised this team for failing in the semi final. I for one, do not see it that way.
NZ, Australia, SA, India and Srilanka were the only teams that had a stable and to an extent balanced lineup and showed promise in the lead up to the tournament.

Pakistan and Bangladesh showed some fight, but their weaknesses largely worked against them.

So you are saying we should be happy that we have maintained status quo and not improved on where we already were? This given the fact that we had the most match practice in Australian conditions in the lead up to the tournament (Indian team is in Australia since end of November IIRC).

Its not the loss that is bad, its rather the tame surrender that looks really bad. Even those that we come close (like the recent Adelaide Test) ends up in a 'Bridge Too Far'. And we've lost to Aussies (apart from home conditions) for as long I can remember, and we haven't found a way to beat them yet? For a sport that there is so much money, resources are spent. That's a sad thing really

Even with SA that lost by the closest of margins, questions will be asked about the missed chances and Philander's selection. So why should India be scot free of criticism and yapping in 1983 and 2011 glory?
Old 27th March 2015, 19:58   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

So you are saying we should be happy that we have maintained status quo and not improved on where we already were? This given the fact that we had the most match practice in Australian conditions in the lead up to the tournament (Indian team is in Australia since end of November IIRC).
If you look at all the matches and the results, India was only behind NZ and Aus, and those two are the home teams at the World Cup. So, I don't think they maintained status quo. In most of the previous World Cups, which have been held outside the sub-continent, India has been knocked out in the Group Stages or Super Sixes.

Yes, there should be criticism. But, it should be constructive which helps in identifying the weaknesses and improving them in future tournaments. Calling the team a failure and saying that they shamed the nation is completely idiotic.
Old 29th March 2015, 12:54   #590
Senior - BHPian

India's defeat in the SF didn't hurt as much as the fact that it was against Michael Clarke's AUS.
Now the worst part is that like the finals in WC 1999' 2003 and 2007, AUS is again denying the whole world the fun of exciting Final, they make all their matches one-sided.

Interesting parallel with 2003, in 2003 IND only lost to AUS, once in league match and once in Final. So AUS can match that by losing to NZ who are undefeated like AUS was in 2003.
Go NZ Go.
Old 29th March 2015, 13:43   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Now the worst part is that like the finals in WC 1999' 2003 and 2007, AUS is again denying the whole world the fun of exciting Final, they make all their matches one-sided.

I hate to say this in favour of the Aussies- But there is no denying that they are the best out there. The way the semifinals and finals (almost) were dismissed without much of a fuss shows their authority over world cricket.
Old 29th March 2015, 14:14   #592
BHPian

So there seems to be no denial with Australia being the World ODI champions for the fifth time! I would have expected the finals to have been much more demanding for a victory. It rather looks dull. As a matter of fact, the SF between NZ and SA was the only highlight of this tournament.
Old 29th March 2015, 14:38   #593
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The match is going along as expected with the Aussies completely dominating the Kiwis. Everyone expected NZ to bat well after winning the toss but the Aussies showing how important it is to have match winning bowlers!
Old 29th March 2015, 14:38   #594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
the SF between NZ and SA was the only highlight of this tournament.
For me, there were a couple of others as well

NZ Aus league game
UAE Ireland
India Pak
England Bangladesh
Zimbabwe Bangladesh
Old 29th March 2015, 15:04   #595
Senior - BHPian

Player of the Tournament has to be Mitchell Starc.
A bowler winning against the all odds would be fantastic.
Old 29th March 2015, 15:41   #596
BHPian

Ok, it's all over. Smith hits the winning runs with a pull shot to the boundary. Aussies win the finals in a rather tame and one sided encounter. All said, they are deserving champions. Well done guys!

Fact: the Aussies have now won a WC in every continent in which cricket is officially played.

Last edited by Turbo_asd : 29th March 2015 at 15:43.
Old 29th March 2015, 16:39   #597
BHPian

Well played Aussies and they deserve to win.
Old 29th March 2015, 17:21   #598
Senior - BHPian

Another one-sided match, and a long (mostly boring) world cup comes to an end with Australia winning their fifth title and rightly so,they were the best team aided by knowing conditions like the back of their hand.

I expected New Zealand to have player better though. I think Mccullum's wicket was the turning point,they never quite got going after that despite a 100 run partnership.

I just hope this Australian team doesn't dominate cricket like the team of the last decade.
Old 29th March 2015, 20:27   #599
BHPian

In football they say - Attacks win matches, Defences win leagues! Guess we can translate that to cricket terms as Big Hitting wins matches, Bowling wins tournaments!

Undoubtedly, Australia to as the best bowling side of the tournament. Backed up with a neat batting performance, they've won the World Cup with ease! I'd say its high time India starts concentrating on our bowling, if they are to perform well overseas. May sound cliche'd, but looks like it needs some serious looking into.
Old 29th March 2015, 21:01   #600
Senior - BHPian

Oh well, Australia won.

Was just sad to watch the Kiwis played down the way they were. Let me go back to my football now
Closed Thread