Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st August 2006, 20:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
do you still want to put guy's parents in JAIL.. (minors don't get punished)
YES. They should be held responsible.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 20:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w12
1. Where is it mentioned that this cyclewallah jumped in front of the car ? The original news item linked says the car rammed into the cycle. Even cycle wallas have a life of theri own..jumping in front of speeding cars comes way down in their priorities

2. Why 40 years, it could have been a 4 year old Farex racer as well.. We have wizards in India who drive at 4 and win le mans and F1 at 5.Still does not change the fact this driver was driving rash illegally and one person died because of him.

3. The assumption that every cyclist is out to extract money from the car owner is pathetic and sweeping to say the least.

4. The same "favour the small guy" rule is used when a car is hit by a Bus, Lorry or minitruck. Haven't seen many people protesting against that.

5. There are rules for cyclists and pedestrians as well. Just as most car drivers tend to break rules, most pedestrians also break them. But that hardly justifies killing them. Will you hang some one for jumping a red light ?
You got the wrong message. I never said ALL CYCLEWALLAH's are out to get the car guys.

1) It might not have been the cycle rider's fault. Perhaps he was just coming in from the wrong direction.

2) Now where is it written that the cycle rider died??

3) There are innocent guys. I know. There are deliberate incidents too. I'm not labelling anyone. I just meant the majority of the cases. You do know that there are cons too. Agreed, the milkman here might have been innocent.

4) Obviously, you haven't done your research.

5) Nobody's justifying killing anybody. We're looking at both sides of the coin here. That's it. We're not defending Salman Khan for running over street dwellers here. This's different.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 21:02   #78
Team-BHP Support

Cool it fellows.
Everyone's entitled to his / her thoughts. Don't get personal here.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 21:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
YES. They should be held responsible.
V1p3r,
in all probability, the parents of the driver didn't know that he drove. He could have sneaked out like the underage drivers driving the Ikon on Worli a couple of years ago.
Is it fair that the parents of thje kid should be punished for no fault of theirs?
Please remember, the kid must have thought that he was mature enough to drive the car and hence sneaked out and in this instance, he should pay the price like a mature person that he thinks he is.
And i started learning a long time ago and mostly stuck to driving on private property/land.
Cheers
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:53   #80
BHPian

This is what you said earlier ..

"But like Khaadu said, here in India, the guy with the bigger vehicle is ALWAYS at fault."

It does not need any research to deduce that Truck or a Bus is a bigger vehicle , when compared to a car.

So if what you said earlier is true, and there is an accident between a Bus and a car , the car is given benefit of doubt.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
V1p3r,
in all probability, the parents of the driver didn't know that he drove. He could have sneaked out like the underage drivers driving the Ikon on Worli a couple of years ago.
Is it fair that the parents of thje kid should be punished for no fault of theirs?
If minor sneaks out with the car which is owned by the parent, it is fault of the parents and they should be held responsible. One could even argue that even if minor sneaks out in a car belonging to someone else, parents are still responsible for this behaviour of the kid.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:37   #82
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default "I didn't know" is no defence

There are only two ways for the law to run its normal course.

Case 1:
Parents are in control of their minor. The parents will face the judge in court for failing to prevent their minor's crime.

Case 2:
The minor is in control of his parents. The court will order removal of the minor to protective custody, in a municipal home for juvenile delinquents, until he attains adulthood.

In both cases, the parents lose. Parenting is a critical responsibility, you commit to when you become a parent!

"I didn't know" is no defence.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

@w12: When I said that the bigger vehicle is at fault, I meant that this is the general mentality of the people. Typically, cops. That is not right. Which is what I meant.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:42   #84
BANNED

Ram, option 2 seems like the more likely course of law.

Except, of course, we all know the law can be bought.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:23   #85
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Even I started driving at the age of four.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
Tell me this was a typo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Sorry swale84, its not a typo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...?highlight=age

Someone else also interested to find out underage learners, please go through the above link
@ Surprise : Underage learners, i have heard about them... but at the age of Four ???

Last edited by Jay : 22nd August 2006 at 13:29.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 14:38   #86
BHPian

racing on public roads..........bad
underage driver...................worse
being rich in big car .............do not ask
my point is

was the cycle guy in a restricted zone,

would the same thing be professed if a bus had run over the cycle guy????

max rs 300 fine for driving rashly
suspension at job
rs 1000 fine for running over i guess

all this coverage because it was in vasant gunj, driven by a rich brat, this thread is no better thanmedia

i agree with w12 first postings,

would any 1 care if you were run over by a car, charity begins at home
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
If minor sneaks out with the car which is owned by the parent, it is fault of the parents and they should be held responsible. One could even argue that even if minor sneaks out in a car belonging to someone else, parents are still responsible for this behaviour of the kid.
Bro,
kids booze and smoke underage too. I am sure that their parents do not know about it and if they do, i am sure that their parents would not encourage it and would instead reprimand him.
Parents can't watch over their children their whole life.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:40   #88
BHPian

modernites and GD Goenka are the rich segment of students, Who mostly are the spoilt brat ones..Today some report of how 3 students of Modern were caught with Marijuana in school and later the report was changed to Dried Tobacco Leaves...Just cause some influential power might have stepped in to save these kids...Same applies here...At the Max, Ramesh the doodhwala is going to get lots of money and he will shut up and Mr Accord will be back with his monster on road ASAP...! Charity begins at home, Very Rightly said...So does Education..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Bro,
kids booze and smoke underage too. I am sure that their parents do not know about it and if they do, i am sure that their parents would not encourage it and would instead reprimand him.
Parents can't watch over their children their whole life.
parents are responsible for their kids. they are supposed to teach their kids the differerence between right nd wrong. parents cant watch over their children their whole life but need to bring up their kids in a way that they dont need "watching over"
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
modernites and GD Goenka are the rich segment of students, Who mostly are the spoilt brat ones..Today some report of how 3 students of Modern were caught with Marijuana in school and later the report was changed to Dried Tobacco Leaves...Just cause some influential power might have stepped in to save these kids...Same applies here...At the Max, Ramesh the doodhwala is going to get lots of money and he will shut up and Mr Accord will be back with his monster on road ASAP...! Charity begins at home, Very Rightly said...So does Education..!
hmmm. a friend of mine from Pathways who was from Mumbai ran over an old man who was crossing the road. The guy crossing the road died on the spot. My friend was drunk at the time. When he went back home nd told his dad about the incident his dad took his car nd changed its colour so that his son doesnt get "hassled" by cops. I was kinda shocked by the fact that my friend didnt feel guilty at all. He repied saying tht the guy crossing the road was poor nd was a "bhoj" on the system nd tht he probably did the world a favour by running that guy over. This should give youll an idea of what some kids are like nowadays.

PS He was 16 at the time of the accident

Last edited by khanak : 22nd August 2006 at 22:56.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote