Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: When do you wear seatbelts? -
1. From the moment i sit in the car, to when i get out. Even if the car isn't moving 112 59.57%
2. When ever the car is in motion 57 30.32%
3. 60% highway - 40%city 15 7.98%
4. 60%city - 40%highway 2 1.06%
5. I don't wear one / My car didn't come with seatbelts 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th May 2005, 12:31   #61
BHPian

hey adya 33 i think u havent read my post properly i have also mentioned that seatbelts protect you from injury. if i wouldnt have in my mind that seatbelt protect us i wouldnt have given the example
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 12:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey adya 33 i think u havent read my post properly i have also mentioned that seatbelts protect you from injury. if i wouldnt have in my mind that seatbelt protect us i wouldnt have given the example
hey you said "i dont wear them when i m in cbd but once i m out of cbd i have to wear them as they protect u from getting fined and the also protect u from injury"
so I told ya that you should wear them all the time & primary reason to wear seatbelts should be safety & not preventing from getting fined

but then again if you wear them mainly because of safety then
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 12:56   #63
BHPian

you are right but cbd is very small town with scarce traffic and i drive very slow in cbd and have never felt the need for wearing the helmet. i didnt wear seatbelts earlier as i had too much problem while driving as the seatbelt would become from loose to tight
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 18:00   #64
BHPian

I guess those who think that seatbelts are only useful for front seat occupants or at high speeds should look at some of the seatbelt safety videos you can find on the net.. There are tons of such videos..

Except in some rare cases, seatbelts always save you.. and it does not matter what speed you are doing..

I myself can not drive a car properly if i am not belted up.. it has become a part of driving for me and i always wear a seatbelt.. I used to wear seatbelts from the moment they started coming with maruti vehicles, i guess somewhere around 1995/1996..

For those of you who have a car with airbags, make sure that all people wear seatbelts, as in many cases, airbags can cause serious injuries if seatbelts are not worn..

Here are descriptions of a few accidents where seatbelts saved me and/or my passengers from major injuries..

1. I am driving at around 60kmph (in those days this was the speed limit in delhi) when suddernly a fellow decides to cross the road and when he sees my car, he just stands there.. i was on right lane and cud not go left as there was another car there, and there was no space between this person and the divider.. so i slammed the brakes and hit the guy.. the fellow got hit somewhere along his thighs at not very fast speed, and came crashing onto the windshield.. the seatbelts saved my passenger from hitting the laminated windshield.. the windshield had tons of sharp pieces of glass and if the passenger was not wearing a seatbelt, he would have hit his face in the windshield and got quite a few cut and perhaps some other injuries too.. Luckily for me, the person i hit did not sustain any injuries other than a small cut on his head.. This happened in 2000 and in those days wearing a seat belt was not mandatory in delhi.. around 5 mins before this happened, we had filled up petrol and i had insisted on my friend to belt up or else i wud not drive the car.. he still does not consider using seatbelts and recently when he got his new accord, he was trying to figure out a way to turn off the car's seatbelt warning beep.. Some people do not learn!!

2. I was driving at around 40-50kmph, possibly tailgating, when the car in front of me suddernly braked w/o any warning.. i went into that car at the speed at which i was driving.. idiot of a driver then proceeded to take a right turn and vanish.. it was late at night and he was probably drunk.. this time seatbelts saved me big time.. i just ended up with a slightly bruised ribs.. i do not know what would have happened if i had not been wearing the seatbelts, but i would have hit the steering column and the windshield hard.. car got some major damages..

3. This one is a bit more interesting.. it is 6pm on a weekday.. i am driving along a jammed road and get to the tail of a very long traffic jam.. i gently get the car to stop and i dunno why, but i look into the rear view mirror and see another car coming towards mine.. 3-5 secs later he rams into my car at around 40-50kmph.. my car went forward and hit the car in front.. i escaped w/o a scratch.. thanks to seatbelts and headrests.. as the seatbelts kept me firmly planted on the seat while the car went ahead and prevented me from bouncing around in the seat.. lesson learned.. when on a road anything can happen.. this was the third time in <7 months since i had bought my new car that i was in an accident involving someone hitting the car while the car was stationary!

none of these were what i would call high speed accidents on a highway.. all of them happened in a city and in pretty dense traffic..

After the first incident, i stopped insisting on people to wear seatbelts, as in that case, if i had not wasted time, i would not have had the accident at that spot..

-- no1lives4ever
no1lives4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 19:57   #65
BHPian

I am used to wearing seat belts so much that the first thing I do is wear my belt upon getting in the car. Apart from being a safety precaution, It helps me keep control while going through sharp turns.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 21:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

Only one answer "From the time I step into my car, till the time i get out"
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 21:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

i wear the seat belts all the time, and also not just when in the driver seat also when in the passenger seat.
But one thing really disappoints me is that few cars doesnt have rear seat belts and that list of cars also include palio s10.
Also I have noticed that when my car is sent to servicing, the rear seatl belt buckles are pushed into the boot, making them inaccessible. I every time crib over this to the service center, but i think i falls in the deff ears. Still I am optismistic that some day I might influence atleast one guy in the service center.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Good topic to revive. 70% on city driving and 100% while on highways. Need to make it a practice to wear it as soon as we take the seat.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:16   #69
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... a very pertinent question. I wear seatbelt the moment I am about to move. Moreover whoever sits next to me gets a stern reminder that he or she needs to put the belt on. Sometimes people do get a bit incensed but I refuse to drive till the belts are on. I guess I have seen/heard too many cases too let this one go.

On a similar note I have two helmets for my bike. My wife wears one as well when she is pillion riding.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Sometimes people do get a bit incensed but I refuse to drive till the belts are on. I guess I have seen/heard too many cases too let this one go.

On a similar note I have two helmets for my bike. My wife wears one as well when she is pillion riding.
me too insist on the passengers put in the seat belts, yet to start this thing with the rear seat passengers as well.

two helmets!!!, thats awesome man. keep it up man. I always used to wonder whether is there any one who has two helmets to his/her bike. Excellent.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:57   #71

he he he.. my case a bit different.. I sit in the drivers seat, everyone else wears automatically.. i get scared and wear them too.. Ok , on a serious note I cant drive without them because i get very afraid turning the car without having them holding me tight on to my seat.
sriku23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:58   #72
BHPian

I wear seat belts as soon as I get into the car. I dont like any warning lights.
abhijitvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 23:04   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I always used to wonder whether is there any one who has two helmets to his/her bike. Excellent.
Actually pillion rider wearing a helmet is very ordinary thing in most defence estates and establishments (I have had a background in such estates due to my dad's job). Even here in Secbd cant area you will find so many bikes with both riders wearing helmets.

Also, in cities like Kolkata it is must for the pillion rider to wear helmet.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 20:42   #74

Dumb question from a tourist... isn't it the law in India to wear a seat belt at the front if they're fitted (I don't 'the law' often doesn't mean much, I'm just curious)?
chromodoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 22:06   #75
nbr
BHPian

For city drives, no seatbelts .
For highways, definately YES.( it should be a distance of more than 30 kms drive.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote