Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th April 2015, 16:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Reliable weather forecast websites?

The idea of this thread occurs to me every time when I read useless weather forecasts everyday on the internet or the newspapers. Seldom do these 'forecasts' turn out to be correct - that is my experience. And many times the actual weather is just the opposite of the forecast - they predicted heavy rains the next day in my city the day it was already raining. Next day- Bright summer sun was out. This was just last week. And that is just one of numerous examples. They get it wrong more than they get that right.

Also, I have been tracking the weather of Gangtok on the internet for last few days. Every day there is a new prediction which keeps changing through out the day!

What has been your experience and do you know of any reliable source of weather forecast? We may also use this thread to share weather information with members planning a travel in any region.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th April 2015 at 16:29.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 17:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Reliable weather forecast websites?

The Weather Channel is pretty accurate for daily/weekly stuff, their (android) app is pretty well laid out and informative. I use it extensively while traveling, esp. abroad. Long(er) term forecasts are hit & miss though, but I don't think anybody gets those absolutely right anyway.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 17:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Seldom do these 'forecasts' turn out to be correct - that is my experience.
It is just a forecast, just an approximation. I'm wondering if there will be any person or any technology that could predict nature with 100% accuracy!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 17:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The Weather Channel is pretty accurate for daily/weekly stuff, their (android) app is pretty well laid out and informative.
Thanks! Will check it right away on the net. Not an android user, so not sure if the app will be available for my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
It is just a forecast, just an approximation. I'm wondering if there will be any person or any technology that could predict nature with 100% accuracy!
Right, it is an approximation. But have a feeling that most of the analysis of the reports are not done properly - esp. by the local MET departments. Agreed that 100% accuracy may not be achieved but as I wrote earlier, I find the predictions incorrect most of the times - far from even 50%.
Old 10th April 2015, 18:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the Weather Underground site to be quite detailed and more accurate than accuweather and weather channel.
But the most accurate of all is of course the hanging stone method.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_rock
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 18:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Good one! Absolutely! I think little more serious analysis of the data received by even the current technology by the MET can see the correct forecast rates climb high. On a funny note, read somewhere that this is one job where you can be wrong everyday and still will not be kicked out!
Old 11th April 2015, 09:53   #7
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Also, I have been tracking the weather of Gangtok on the internet for last few days. Every day there is a new prediction which keeps changing through out the day!
On a related note, I came across this post by a fellow BHPian just now: Zuluk

Since you are planning to ride to East Sikkim and the weather is unpredictable, please get in touch with Mr.Ravi as he has done the Zuluk trip only yesterday in his XUV5OO.

I am sure you will get the current road updates from both the Kupup side and Rongli side.
//M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 20:55   #8
BHPian

Whether anybody had a look at the imd.gov.in site? I am a regular visitor there. But I do not look at anything other than their satellite pictures, released in 30 minute intervals. Both Kalpana-1 & INSAT 3D Pictures are available. Then look at the animated pictures of the cloud formation, take your pick 3 hrs or 24hrs or 48 hrs. You yourself can predict with more accuracy than the weatherman! Try it!

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2015 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Accuweather app which came preinstalled on my Galaxy S5 has fairly accurate predictions. Its accuracy rate is I must say about 80%, which is quite good.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 15:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Weather Underground. Works reliably and has weather predictions for smaller places too. The predictions are very accurate - day, week, month etc. They have their own app too - Wunderground.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 18:34   #11
BHPian

This is the one which I practically use to understand if it is going to rain today, and how sustained would the rainfall be:

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/satmet...siasec_ir1.jpg

Mind you, this link is good to get an idea of, at the most, 12 hours. For forecasting beyond that, you need to rely on forecasts by experts. But my 'guesstimates' have proven to be fairly decent for simple decisions like whether to go out today or not, or how long is a rain interruption likely to be
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 20:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
This is the one which I practically use to understand if it is going to rain today, and how sustained would the rainfall be:

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/satmet...siasec_ir1.jpg

Mind you, this link is good to get an idea of, at the most, 12 hours. For forecasting beyond that, you need to rely on forecasts by experts. But my 'guesstimates' have proven to be fairly decent for simple decisions like whether to go out today or not, or how long is a rain interruption likely to be
Yes, in my previous post, I meant only that kind of prediction! From the animated graphs, you can see the direction of cloud movement and decide!
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Whether anybody had a look at the imd.gov.in site? I am a regular visitor there. But I do not look at anything other than their satellite pictures, released in 30 minute intervals. Both Kalpana-1 & INSAT 3D Pictures are available. Then look at the animated pictures of the cloud formation, take your pick 3 hrs or 24hrs or 48 hrs. You yourself can predict with more accuracy than the weatherman! Try it!

I do the exact same thing (check all the cloud cover / water vapor / wind maps on the IMD website) whenever I wish to do rain chasing during the monsoon.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Has any one tried Skymet Weather ?

Full Disclaimer: I am a part of the fund that invested in it. Not trying to endorse it, just trying to understand if anyone has used it.
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

One point which I don't understand is that why do the weather news channels/sites never show the Wet bulb temperature?
I know they do show the relative humidity, and wet bulb temp can be worked out using psychrometric/mollier chart- but honestly that is tantamount to using your left hand to scratch right ear.

What I feel on my skin is not the dry temperature, but the wet bulb temperature (because of perspiration).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote