Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th April 2015, 12:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All-India bandh on April 30, 2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesh_k View Post
This bill is very much needed. How the situation is in Bangalore:
  1. No water tankers have brake lights working
  2. No water tankers have brakes that work perfectly
  3. No water tankers have the registration plates that are in a legible condition
  4. 99% of the water tanker drivers do not possess a valid drivers license
I also seriously doubt that water tankers can be tractors. I dont understand how an Off-road/farm vehicle is allowed on city roads (they are allowed to run everywhere freely). If they can drive on city roads with those massive rear tyres, why cant I just buy 'Big Foot' and let it lose on our roads?
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJEESH View Post
Hi Sanjay,

It is confirmed.

Regards,

Sajeesh
Hi Sajeesh, I understand only a transport strike has been called and not and all-India bandh. This bandh has been called by the transport associations - both private and public.
It should be fine to go out by own transport.
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 13:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJEESH View Post
Hi the Joker,

It is advisable to stay off the roads on April 30th. I am planning to drive on May 1st to Kerala.

Regards,
Sajeesh
If it's a bandh, the last place you want to be in India is Kerala. Please avoid Kerala as it's very risky to be on road. With all due respect, Even though it has the highest literacy rate in India people won't think twice before throwing stones on your car. Saying this with experience.
augustinepaul4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 16:04   #19
BHPian

Does this affect taxis and private buses in Chennai? I am going to Kerala by tomorrow evening on a volvo bus ( dont remember the name of the travels )
eyesice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 16:42   #20
BHPian

Any update on Bangla Bandh? I am flying to Kolkata early morning tomorrow and have an evening train to catch from Railway station. Will it be safe with family to reach station from airport? :-(

tia,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 16:50   #21
BANNED

Quote:
  1. No autos have the brake lights working
  2. Nowadays, most auto drivers do not possess a valid drivers license
  3. No water tankers have brake lights working
  4. No water tankers have brakes that work perfectly
  5. No water tankers have the registration plates that are in a legible condition
  6. 99% of the water tanker drivers do not possess a valid drivers license
  7. Auto drivers and water tankers follow no traffic rules - especially auto drivers. They drive in the opposite lane to overtake and never wait in queue at signals.
  8. No bus lanes in Bangalore. They overtake you from left, right and sometimes over!
Its a jungle out here!

Cheers!
Autos not having braking light - blame it on Hamara Bajaj, even the old bajaj scooters were in this list, because there was no competition, post opening market with entry of Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha did the trick in mid 80,s to enlighten indians.
Most of the above points are applicable all over India, Tankers are a Chennai/Bangalore problem as these are owned by Politicans unlike Autos owned by policemen in Chennai
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 22:36   #22
MSC
BHPian

This is nothing but holding the country ransom for petty issues. The new Road Safety Bill is going to help these unions and its stakeholders . They wont understand this. But what I think , more than anything else, these transport unions are worried about 2 main things.
First is the hefty fine and punishment for offenses along with heavy compensations in unfortunate case of loss of life.
Secondly, the unified licensing system will curb multiple licenses for a single person. If I am not wrong , most of the commercial drivers including truckers and taxi drivers have multiple driving licenses. Because they possess multiple licenses, they dont mind much when the license is impounded.

Last edited by MSC : 29th April 2015 at 22:38.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 00:14   #23
BHPian

Yes, there is a strike confirmed, Karnataka STC is cooperating with the strike, in TN, it is not that is what I understand from the discussions in office and an advisory has been issued to employees in Bangalore office and for Chennai office, employees are advised to act with judgement giving importance to personal safety.

Being a Malayali, I am sure as usual, Kerala would be having an all out hartal. Only differentiator this time would be, being a festival time local festivals like Thrissur pooram happening today may make a difference locally.
Jakku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 08:28   #24
BHPian

Govt, private buses, Autos, yellow board taxis running as usual in Chennai. OLA has also mentioned that they will be running their service just as any other day.

So nil impact I believe in Chennai. Suburban Trains are also running which is the lifeline of the city.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 09:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove down yesterday and reached Kerala today early morning. Everything seems to be as usual
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 09:19   #26
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2015 at 15:18.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th April 2015, 11:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku
I am sure as usual, Kerala would be having an all out hartal.
Nope. This is a strike by transporters. Shops / establishments are open and functioning. No state transport or private buses or taxis on the road. Did see a couple of taxis with either "Airport" or "Wedding" sticker pasted on them.

Rode from Mavelikara to Kollam just now and it was one of the best rides I had. Empty roads (except for some cars and bikes). At 2 places enroute there were some Left-party cadres marching on the highway, but without causing trouble to private road users.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 12:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree.
One of the objective is to save over 200,000 lives in next 5 years so we know how unsafe our roads are.
This is a good read
http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.or...aft-vision.pdf
Prash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 12:14   #29
BHPian

There was no effect of strike today i feel atleast in bangalore. Saw in news as well as heard in radio that bmtc md had called up the union leader to get all buses moving. At 9 am buses along the it corridor were started and running as usual.

Also i could see all the autos, cabs and private buses running as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
It seems like its buisness as usual in bangalore. Auto's , busses, cabs plying though in lesser numbers. Was expecting absolutely no traffic issues today, but was quite suprised that it was not as one would have expected on a bandh day.

This is not a bandh but a strike called by transport union. And since it was expected by all that there will be no buses or cabs most of them had to take their own vehicles leading to more traffic.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 12:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

It is a strike called by bus drivers, lorry drivers and auto drivers. Who would support them?
Secondly the strike is against increased penalties for breaking rules. Again, who would support them?
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote