Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 12:37   #10771
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Manish, "focus" in such an expensive hobby is a must, otherwise you end up repenting on some of your purchases. Not that a great variety is available but sites like eBay have a large variety and reasonable prices.

There are many so called "collectors" who buy scale models (that too in bulk) just for the heck of it. I am of the opinion that any car / vehicle that has played a significant role in our 110+ year old automotive history (in any category-production wise, race, rally entrants / winners, pioneering / path-breaking / innovative technology, war hero, etc ), a detailed scale model of the same not only adds value to your collection, but is also historically important.

Scale model manufacturers will always bring scale models of recent cars. There is nothing wrong in buying them but as "Product Life Cycles" of cars have shrunk rapidly in the past decade, upgrades are always around the corner and the scale model quickly loses its uniqueness. Take an example of Mercedes Benz S320. Scale models of this car were produced by makers ranging from Maisto to Auto Art, Minichamps, etc. The model produced prior to 1998 had this famous "Tank like" feel and is now a collector's item (in 1:1 and 1:18 scale). The model that replaced this car in 1998-99 went through so many face-lifts and is not at all as unique as the "Tank". So buying a scale model of such a car that is regularly being face-lifted is of no use (unless one focuses on collecting ONLY Mercedes S class!)

As usual, your Jeep model kit is very good. Hope it is assembled quickly. Jeep models are unique and rare, not to forget they have played a major role in the 2nd world war.

You too can do the same.
AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:12   #10772
BHPian
 
rOaD AsSaSin!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: faridabad
Posts: 93
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Well look what i got! The super snake is here... For the sad part the m3 and the diablo sv went out of stock just at the last moment. but i am happy because this just pays off!
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-fxcam_1317533466143.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-dsc_4064.jpg  

rOaD AsSaSin!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 16:21   #10773
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Here are some work in process pictures of my 1:12 Honda bike.

Name:  dsc09975h.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  dsc09978e.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  77.7 KB
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:54   #10774
BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 868
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

@Manish: This seems to be progress nicely. Even I have build a Honda CB750F but I think my kit was of Academy make and the size was 1:6, I am posting an old archived image of the same.

I also clicked few images of random models from my collection, I hope you guys will like these.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-copy-img_0255.cr2.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-copy-img_0268.cr2.jpg  

Attached Images
 
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:52   #10775
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Hey Manish, the Honda model you are building is simply fantastic, the engine with the chrome crank cases and brushed aluminum cases gives it a very realistic feel. Even the chassis is amply detailed.

Bandhav, your photography is as usual, brilliant.

Continuing with my theme: "Pearls from the Orient", here is one more technological breakthrough(horizontally opposed Boxer engine) as well as a rallying legend: Subaru Impreza - 2008 Monte Carlo winner by Auto Art.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-1.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-2.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-3.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-4.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-5.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-6.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-9-1.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-9-2.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-10.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:36   #10776
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
@Manish: This seems to be progress nicely. Even I have build a Honda CB750F but I think my kit was of Academy make and the size was 1:6, I am posting an old archived image of the same.

I also clicked few images of random models from my collection, I hope you guys will like these.
Your honda is looking great, that blue and white wheels give a nice color combination. The build has come out clean. What color do you think that i should paint. As of now I think of red or yellow.

And your photography is awesome. We always love your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Hey Manish, the Honda model you are building is simply fantastic, the engine with the chrome crank cases and brushed aluminum cases gives it a very realistic feel. Even the chassis is amply detailed.

Bandhav, your photography is as usual, brilliant.

Continuing with my theme: "Pearls from the Orient", here is one more technological breakthrough(horizontally opposed Boxer engine) as well as a rallying legend: Subaru Impreza - 2008 Monte Carlo winner by Auto Art.
Thanks for the kind words Amar. As for the the Subaru, one of my collegue in Singapore owns a Subaru WRX STI, she is killer. Your Subaru is also a killer. The detailing is just awesome.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:14   #10777
BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 868
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Bandhav, your photography is as usual, brilliant.
Thanks Amar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Your honda is looking great, that blue and white wheels give a nice color combination. The build has come out clean. What color do you think that i should paint. As of now I think of red or yellow.

And your photography is awesome. We always love your pictures.
Manish mine was a pre-painted one, I just did the assembling and as far as build is concerned, my wife helped me finishing this up, too be honest she is the one who completed the build. All kudos to her. I am really glad you guys like my scale model pics, this makes the entire process of clicking pictures more involving.

I think out of these two options I will vote for Red as imagining a classic beauty like this in yellow is not making sense to me.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:55   #10778
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Here are two more "Godzillas" from the Orient. Strictly speaking, these cannot be referred to as Pearls!

I have posted images of these car models in the past but keeping in line with the theme they have been added again

The blue 1993 (R32) Nissan Skyline GTR, The original godzilla is a masterpiece by Kyosho while the relatively latest one of 2004-5 (R34) is by Auto Art. In my last posts, I mentioned about "automotive light weighting" in scale models and these two are perfect examples to justify my statement.

The Kyosho Nissan Skyline is indeed a very well finished car with a beautiful paint and decal job. The engine compartment is far more intricately detailed than the Auto Art R34 Skyline.

The Kyosho model is also substantially heavier than the Auto Art one which also feels plasticky!

One big plus point that Auto Art has, it has a comprehensive range of models with some very important ones like the rally / plane body Mitsubishi Lancers as well as SUVs like the Pajero, Mercedes G55, Range Rovers, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-img_1575.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1574.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1573.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1576.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1577.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1579.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1588.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1590.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1591.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1593.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 01:23   #10779
BHPian
 
rOaD AsSaSin!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: faridabad
Posts: 93
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Here are two more "Godzillas" from the Orient. Strictly speaking, these cannot be referred to as Pearls!

I have posted images of these car models in the past but keeping in line with the theme they have been added again

The blue 1993 (R32) Nissan Skyline GTR, The original godzilla is a masterpiece by Kyosho while the relatively latest one of 2004-5 (R34) is by Auto Art. In my last posts, I mentioned about "automotive light weighting" in scale models and these two are perfect examples to justify my statement.

The Kyosho Nissan Skyline is indeed a very well finished car with a beautiful paint and decal job. The engine compartment is far more intricately detailed than the Auto Art R34 Skyline.

The Kyosho model is also substantially heavier than the Auto Art one which also feels plasticky!

One big plus point that Auto Art has, it has a comprehensive range of models with some very important ones like the rally / plane body Mitsubishi Lancers as well as SUVs like the Pajero, Mercedes G55, Range Rovers, etc.
I love them both! Thanks for sharing. would love to see the interior details too. and a question i am thinkin to buy the r34 nismo from autoart but as u mentioned lightweight do you recommend it for 6K?

Last edited by rOaD AsSaSin!! : 4th October 2011 at 01:24. Reason: spelling.
rOaD AsSaSin!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 13:49   #10780
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I think out of these two options I will vote for Red as imagining a classic beauty like this in yellow is not making sense to me.
Thanks, even we too loved the Red color. Tomorrow being holiday, I am hoping to do painting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Here are two more "Godzillas" from the Orient. Strictly speaking, these cannot be referred to as Pearls!
Amar your signature too screams the same . Tough I have owned 2 autoart and 1 Kyosho. I too fell kyosho's to be better.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 16:33   #10781
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

I got my R34 for Rs. 4995/- a couple of months back. Rs. 6000/- looks to be expensive. Regardless of the model being light weight, I would recommend adding it to your collection.

Check with Automania, Mumbai who may be having both models. They have a blue colored R34 with gold rims (if I recollect correctly) which looks better than my R34.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOaD AsSaSin!! View Post
I love them both! Thanks for sharing. would love to see the interior details too. and a question i am thinkin to buy the r34 nismo from autoart but as u mentioned lightweight do you recommend it for 6K?
AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:05   #10782
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Guys,

Just bought the 1:18 Moriss Minor by Minichamps. This is my second one after the 1:12 Morris Traveller by Sunstar.

Name:  141483.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  13.2 KB
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 21:00   #10783
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Manish, if your Morris Minor's colour is the same as in the image shown, it must be unique because I have seen green and that horrid pink colours of that car.

Coming to the last part on my theme on "Pearls of the Orient", this time it is a car that each one of us had in his dreams at some point of time or the other, this is the car that has won almost all kinds of rallys it took part in, along with the Swift this is one of the most sought after cars for modification:both cosmetic and mechanical.

This is the Mitsubishi Lancer in all its forms.

This is also one of the most collectable scale models and is on every collector's radar. It is indeed a pity that this car's scale models have become extremely rare, now that Auto Art has stopped producing them.

I have three of these machines (all by Auto Art) in my collection.
The white one is a plane body WRC 05 version
The yellow one is a EVO VIII stock / civilian version
The 2002 Monte Carlo entrant, my recent acquisition was bought from my friend, Ajay after searching all the scale model shops in India (there are just a handful of them!)

Giving these cars company is again an accomplished and proven off roader: the Mitsubishi Pajero. I have read a lot about the Pajero in the 4x4 vehicles section of Team Bhp. The passion members have for the Pajero is nothing short of amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-img_1535.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1533.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1531.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1537.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1538.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1543.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1544.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1551.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1549.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1548.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1547.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1555.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1554.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1558.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1563.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1565.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1571.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1569.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1568.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 10:01   #10784
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Manish, if your Morris Minor's colour is the same as in the image shown, it must be unique because I have seen green and that horrid pink colours of that car.
I have also seen that Lilac, pink color and the obvious green. I have also seen sky blue too. As of now I have booked the brown one from him. Awaiting confirmation.

As for the lancer, you can check with Cyrus (cyrus43), he has got some form the Hotwheels, they are awesome too.

Yours are real great ones. Worthy purchase from your friend.

P.S.: Has your MGB arrived.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 11:22   #10785
BHPian
 
AmarPaithankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I have also seen that Lilac, pink color and the obvious green. I have also seen sky blue too. As of now I have booked the brown one from him. Awaiting confirmation.

As for the lancer, you can check with Cyrus (cyrus43), he has got some form the Hotwheels, they are awesome too.

Yours are real great ones. Worthy purchase from your friend.

P.S.: Has your MGB arrived.
Thank you Manish. My MGB has not yet been delivered as yet. But when I tracked the USPS parcel, it says the parcel has landed in India and is awaiting custom clearance.

I have seen Cyrus's fantastic Lancers by Hotwheels.

Good that you selected this colour for the Morris. It looks best in this shade and conveys that "period" feel.
AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time Modification on a scale model car! dirtbag Shifting gears 20 16th August 2015 03:07
Autofest City - India's largest scale model collection neiltopaz Shifting gears 30 28th July 2015 11:24
My artistic Scale Model Pics Stratos Shifting gears 11 8th December 2013 18:21
Design Ideas For a Scale model Showcase. Cyrus43 Shifting gears 7 5th October 2013 02:19
Favourite Scale model brand Beeman Shifting gears 36 22nd February 2010 14:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks