Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 14:54   #1
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

Seriously offtopic warning:

A friend of mine has setup his netbook to capture pictures of their house (a room) every few seconds. This is what he captured a day ago and is asking us to help identify what it could be.

I'm guessing this is pollen from some tree, but I can't be sure.

Any clues?
Attached Images
   
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 15:13   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

That definitely looks like a pollen falling from a tree. This is the major cause for most of our allergies.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 16:34   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 1,646 Times
Default re: Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

A moth in flight is quite likely. That netbook has an extremely low shutter speed so a mobile object can shift positions several times, and be captured in all those positions, before the shutter closes. This can be used for quite entertaining effects - like this one.

How many tails does this fellow have? Or is it a faster than light tail wag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Seriously offtopic warning:

A friend of mine has setup his netbook to capture pictures of their house (a room) every few seconds. This is what he captured a day ago and is asking us to help identify what it could be.

I'm guessing this is pollen from some tree, but I can't be sure.

Any clues?
Attached Thumbnails
Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth-dog.jpg  

hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 17:22   #4
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default re: Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A moth in flight is quite likely. That netbook has an extremely low shutter speed so a mobile object can shift positions several times, and be captured in all those positions, before the shutter closes. This can be used for quite entertaining effects - like this one.

How many tails does this fellow have? Or is it a faster than light tail wag?
Yes, I've been think about slow shutter speed too, but I'm not much into photography or cameras so I wasn't sure. I guess this really explains it.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 19:31   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 21,892 Times
Default re: Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A moth in flight is quite likely.
Excellent thinking!!

Here's some "long exposures" of moths in flight:

Name:  00YpK5365173584.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  62.9 KB
source

Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth-moths_attracted_by_floodlight.jpg
source

Name:  Flying20rods206.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  311.3 KB
source
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 21:20   #6
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default re: Help identify this flying object? EDIT: It's a moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Excellent thinking!!

Here's some "long exposures" of moths in flight:

Attachment 1376680
source

Attachment 1376681
source

Attachment 1376682
source
Ohh! Thanks for responding! What you shared is very interesting and now 100% confirms the moth angle.

Much appreciated!

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by hellmet : 30th May 2015 at 21:24.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moth population explosion in Navi Mumbai DueLLeR Shifting gears 17 12th October 2011 11:43
Pls help identify this bike. Edit: Its the Honda CBX 1000 aargee Superbikes & Imports 14 13th February 2010 13:55
Money no object decision drpullockaran Luxury, Imports & Niche 14 14th August 2009 00:05
Please help identify this import - It is in Bahrain EDIT - Its a Saturn Sky Srini76 The International Automotive Scene 10 23rd June 2009 20:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks