Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 20:52   #256
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 261
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

Can someone help her ? It's a gold fish. It had a small white patch on it 2 months back however it has grown to bicome a big ulcer kind of thing near her eye.
Mods:- I had attached pics in this post however it is not showing up and while trying to fix it created duplicate post. Please delete previous post. Apologies for the inconvenience.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 09:56   #257
BHPian
 
ptaneja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Pole,Mars
Posts: 527
Thanked: 267 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If you want to keep an Oscar in that tank, i think you should be fine with One oscar, couple of male convicts, A pleco. Convicts are great dither fishes whereas Oscars are just slow bulky bullies. Rarely will an Oscar get close to a convict
.


Introduced an Oscar yesterday evening, all nice and peacefull...noticed terror chasing Oscar in the morning...damn it, 1/4th its size, and now Oscar has nipped fin.

Changed 3 buckets of water...hope so it recovers. Moved terror to a small aquaroum...all by itself.

Any other method to heal these nipped fins?
ptaneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 10:12   #258
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

You have to keep in mind that Oscars are like Bullies. They use their bulk to intimidate other fishes. But when faced with other aggressive which can take the bully head on, like in real life, the bully often gets thrashed.

American cichlid tank needs a lot of stones and wood to cut off line of sight and helps weaker ones space to retreat to.

Bigger the cichlids, bigger the tank and larger the hiding space required.

Also try getting all fishes together so it's all new for all of them. In your case the GT is well established and suddenly it detects a threat. The oscar is new and stressed and gets thrashed up.

Nipped fins will heal by itself. Just keep water healthy and lots of aeration.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 10:48   #259
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 196
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

Can someone help her ? It's a gold fish. It had a small white patch on it 2 months back however it has grown to bicome a big ulcer kind of thing near her eye.
A friend had a goldfish some time back with a similar problem. A bulbous tumor like growth above one eye. I read about it and many sites suggested to get it treated by a doctor, which you know are not there in our area. I also read that it doesn't harm or affect the fish in its daily life, and is not a 'slow and painful' death that I initially thought it to be. It would have healed if corrected during the initial stage (i.e. when the white dot appeared above the eye). The tumor will grow, a bubble with appear, it will burst and start to heal every 2-3 months. That fish lived with that tumor on its head for 2 years (was already ~2+ year old) and died all of a sudden. :(

Deathwalkr and other experts will be able to help you.

Is this what you are talking about?


[Random pic from Google]

EDIT - Read through this article.

http://www.puregoldfish.com/17-disea...dXaiBjGKp64rJw

Quote:
Change the water. Your fish won’t recover in less than perfect conditions.
Scrub the ulcer with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball.
Salt the tank with 3 teaspoons to the gallon.
You should know:

It will probably take some time to improve.

Not worse might actually be better, as weird as that sounds.

Overreacting can stress out or even kill your fish, so don’t start doing shotgun treatments out of panic. Stick to the plan.

A healing ulcer may look darker initially, then get lighter each day.

To prevent ulcers, be sure to treat for flukes (if you bought a pet store fish) and always, ALWAYS keep the water perfect.

Last edited by swift_guy : 7th February 2016 at 11:04.
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 15:45   #260
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 261
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
A friend had a goldfish some time back with a similar problem. A bulbous tumor like growth above one eye. I read about it and many sites suggested to get it treated by a doctor, which you know are not there in our area. I also read that it doesn't harm or affect the fish in its daily life, and is not a 'slow and painful' death that I initially thought it to be. It would have healed if corrected during the initial stage (i.e. when the white dot appeared above the eye). The tumor will grow, a bubble with appear, it will burst and start to heal every 2-3 months. That fish lived with that tumor on its head for 2 years (was already ~2+ year old) and died all of a sudden. :(

Deathwalkr and other experts will be able to help you.

Is this what you are talking about?


[Random pic from Google]

EDIT - Read through this article.

http://www.puregoldfish.com/17-disea...dXaiBjGKp64rJw
Thanks Swift_guy,

Its almost the same but near her fins. It just breaks my heart when I see her with this tumour like thing everyday and am very worried about it.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 16:32   #261
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 196
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Thanks Swift_guy,

Its almost the same but near her fins. It just breaks my heart when I see her with this tumour like thing everyday and am very worried about it.
You can try to source dilute hydrogen peroxite, which should be available at a chemist. It is an antiseptic basically. Since it has been only a month or two that this tumor started growing, you can try to heal it with steps mentioned in link in my previous post. Seperate the fish from others as they tend to suck the tumor thingy, disturbing and stressing the affected fish. Keep the water absolutely clean, use required salt and perform this antiseptic treatment. I hope it gets better. We tried this but it didn't help as the tumor had been there for quite some time (around 1 year).
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 16:39   #262
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Having been a avid reader and little bit of an active member of this thread, I so desperately wanted to start building one. But being a noob in this area and also scared to let any one fish die because of my negligence I was having second thoughts about it. But the more I read this thread the more interested I became and started reading up as well as contacting the gurus. I also did go and check out couple of shops myself to get an idea of maintenance and other aspects of fish keeping. One of the shops that I went , Angel tropic aqua was having a wide variety of fishes and the owner was intelligent about the topic. He understood that I was new to this and he basically guided me in coming up with setup. To be frank he chose the fishes as well and I am still yet to get to know which is which. But I am determined to take care of the fishes and would not want anything to happen to them under my care!

So enough of my riff raff. Attaching pics of the aquarium setup. All the fishes are cichlids.

Before adding fish :

Aquarium setup
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_4077.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender_1.jpg

Fishessss!!! :

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender_2.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender_3.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender_4.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-fullsizerender_5.jpg

Gurus, can you please let me know which is which. I know stupid of me to ask but I am still new and getting confused so.

Have couple of questions
1. The person who did the setup asked me not to feed the fish until tomorrow ( I bought them home today). He said they will not eat as they will be stressed. Is that normal?

2. He also said to switch on the light only when you wish to see the fishes. Else you can keep it switched off. Again is it the right way?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 16:51   #263
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

hey, nice tank. could you mention the tank size? you have got african cichlids. i see peacocks, yellow labs and blue dolphins.

also clown loaches. how many of those did you get?

feeding fish is upto you. just feed them in small quantities and watch them eat. stop feeding once the hunger subsides.

light be on from 9-9. random switching on will lead to more stress.

bear in mind that these africans get upto 7" so pretty soon will require a bigger tank

also try a plain black or blue background

Last edited by deathwalkr : 7th February 2016 at 16:55.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 17:40   #264
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
hey, nice tank. could you mention the tank size? you have got african cichlids. i see peacocks, yellow labs and blue dolphins.

also clown loaches. how many of those did you get?

feeding fish is upto you. just feed them in small quantities and watch them eat. stop feeding once the hunger subsides.

light be on from 9-9. random switching on will lead to more stress.

bear in mind that these africans get upto 7" so pretty soon will require a bigger tank

also try a plain black or blue background
Hi deathwalkr, thanks buddy for all the help and info!

Tank size is 3*1.5*1.5. Last minute he said he did not have one in 3*2*2. Yeah I got all african cichlids. All the three varieties that you mentioned and also butterflies as well. I have got three clown loaches.

I will try feeding them tonight. I cant starve them until tomorrow. I will plan to buy a small setup in few months time and will shift some of the fishes to that tank. Else it will become crowded.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:41   #265
BHPian
 
lucifer1881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 280
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I will try feeding them tonight. I cant starve them until tomorrow.
Why do you think you know more than whoever set the tank up for you? If the person asked you not to feed them till next day then please do not feed them till next day. A lot of us tend to believe that we know what is best despite being advised to the contrary. That causes more harm than good.

That said, here is my tank as it looks today.

My Fishkeeping hobby-image.jpeg
5 footer planted tank with ferns, crypts, swords. Fish kept are Danisoni, Blue Ramirezi, Pearl Scale Angel.

I will add a few cardinals in it in a couple of weeks. That should make it kind of complete.

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 7th February 2016 at 19:45.
lucifer1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 20:27   #266
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Why do you think you know more than whoever set the tank up for you? If the person asked you not to feed them till next day then please do not feed them till next day. A lot of us tend to believe that we know what is best despite being advised to the contrary. That causes more harm than good.
Well calm down buddy! As I said I am nowhere near knowledgeable at all with respect to fishes. I said that I might try feeding as I felt that some of fishes were trying looking tired ( does it ) . Might be because I am seeing the fishes from near for this long only now or might be because I am trying to learn & bordering on being over cautious.

Your tank looks good. Are those live plants?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 7th February 2016 at 20:36.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 21:35   #267
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
That said, here is my tank as it looks today.

Attachment 1472979
5 footer planted tank with ferns, crypts, swords. Fish kept are Danisoni, Blue Ramirezi, Pearl Scale Angel.

I will add a few cardinals in it in a couple of weeks. That should make it kind of complete.
nice looking tank love denisonii's. the pride of kerala. sadly over exploited for the trade. used to have them years back but found out that as they get bigger their colours got a bit faded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
As I said I am nowhere near knowledgeable at all with respect to fishes. I said that I might try feeding as I felt that some of fishes were trying looking tired ( does it ) . Might be because I am seeing the fishes from near for this long only now or might be because I am trying to learn & bordering on being over cautious.

Your tank looks good. Are those live plants?
Torquey: fishes are prone to stress like us. new place new water parameters, new tank decor etc all lead to initial stress. give them time to settle down. hope you did not get the tank and fish all in one day
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 22:14   #268
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Torquey: fishes are prone to stress like us. new place new water parameters, new tank decor etc all lead to initial stress. give them time to settle down. hope you did not get the tank and fish all in one day
Yeah I understand it. I got the tank on Friday evening and got the fishes today.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 09:45   #269
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Hey torquey,

read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cycle-a-Fish-Tank
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 11:13   #270
BHPian
 
toiingg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 599
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Hi Torquey,

I feel that IPF is not sufficient filtration for the bio load in your aquarium. There is no biological filtration, only mechanical filtration going on in there.

I would suggest you get a canister filter with good bio media for your ciclids. Please read up on them (plenty of youtube videos available) and then buy one.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks