Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th April 2016, 19:54   #331
BHPian

Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Dont understand why people buy IR sharks.

From wiki:
An iridescent shark requires a minimum tank size of 12 m (40 feet) to develop naturally. Schools require even larger tanks. If given enough room and fed adequately, individual fish can reach 1 m (3 feet) in length. In most home aquariums, the lack of space severely stunts its growth. For this reason, most iridescent sharks kept in home aquaria grow to only 15 to 30 cm (6 to 12 inches) in length and may die prematurely. When provided with adequately-sized aquaria and proper husbandry, an iridescent shark may live into its teens and grow to full size

And Oscars...
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/oscars-need-big-tanks

Give the sharks away and keep one oscar.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 14:39   #332
BHPian

All thanks to "v_2rahjo" and his generous gift of multiple fishes, my aqua is completely full - I am thinking that its kind of overstocked - but with high power output internal filter + hang on filter + couple of air pumps - I hope it can go along just fine. If not, I'll have to see an option if external filter is the way to go ...

My Fishkeeping hobby-1.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-2.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-3.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-4.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-5.jpg
ptaneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 18:07   #333
BHPian

It's not just about keeping a high filtration in a tank. fishes need their space especially cichlids like oscars and terrors. you can overstock africans to an extent.

lose the oscars, terror and parrot and you should be fine for a while...
Old 11th April 2016, 12:55   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Thanks to point this out. I have called the aquarium guy to come and replace it, if he cannot replace it, then I will go with what you suggested.
OK, I did some Jugaad. This filter came with a mesh which had very large pores. It was not efficiently filtering plus because of large pores the suction was higher. I removed it and instead put in a piece of scotchbrite sponge. . .
Next I plugged the outlet and routed it through the top. So, now the water doesn't gush out of the filter and the water sprouting out gives a good waterfall effect. I am going to improve on that.
But now the fishes do not feel the pressure and are able to swim freely.
BTW, I am noticing that the angels sometimes nips at the tetras. Will they go together? They are pretty small.

[IMG]My Fishkeeping hobby-1460358603223.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]My Fishkeeping hobby-1460358645782.jpg[/IMG]
sukhoi30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 13:51   #335
BHPian

Quote:
OK, I did some Jugaad. This filter came with a mesh which had very large pores. It was not efficiently filtering plus because of large pores the suction was higher
Try placing the filter at the extreme bottom end. The suction increases as the filter is placed closer to the surface. At the bottom, the suction would be lower than what it is now. The arrangmenet looks good (like a waterfall) but will kill the main purpose of the filter. Without flow/waves in the tank, the waste would just settle down where it is instead of flowing with the waves and getting sucked in by the filter.

And I think the filter has to be fully inmersed in water. Mine heats up a lot if the top is not immersed in water. Correct me if I am wrong.
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 13:56   #336
BHPian

So I tore down and restarted the 40 litre ADA planted nano tank. Adding Sakura Red Shrimps to this one.

Filtration: Sunsun external canister NANO rated at 400 L/H - INR 1,800
Substrate: ADA Amazonia (7.5 Kg) - INR 2,000
Substrate base: ADA power sand (1 Kg) - INR 450
Substrate additives: ADA Super 4 - INR 450
Rocks: ADA aqua rocks "seiryu" - (6 Kg)INR 1,800
Lighting: 12W Aqua LED 12 inch / 48 LED - INR 1,200
Assorted stem plants (INR 1,000)
CO2 system ordered (INR 4,500)
Plant fertilizer and additives - INR 1,500

About INR 15,000 spent so far.

Ordered MonteCarlo for the carpet but didnít arrive over the weekend so I'll have to drain the water out and plug those in this week... will need to go with the cling wrap route because of the delay. below are some WIP pics.

Will keep updating this thread with the plant growth over the weeks.
Attached Images

R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 14:06   #337
BHPian

@R32: Looking good. do keep us posted

@Swifty: Yep filter has to be fully submersed.

@Sukhoi: Don't know what to say...
Old 11th April 2016, 14:07   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, I did some Jugaad. This filter came with a mesh which had very large pores. It was not efficiently filtering plus because of large pores the suction was higher. I removed it and instead put in a piece of scotchbrite sponge. . .

This is not correct. Though pores are huge, they start gathering dirt and the filtration efficiency increases, while the flow rate decreases. Now that you have put in the scotch brite, the filter media will clog prematurely and prolonged use in this state will burn the filter sooner than normal. Leave the original filter media and wait till it gathers some dirt.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 15:21   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is not correct. Though pores are huge, they start gathering dirt and the filtration efficiency increases, while the flow rate decreases. Now that you have put in the scotch brite, the filter media will clog prematurely and prolonged use in this state will burn the filter sooner than normal. Leave the original filter media and wait till it gathers some dirt.
The original filter media is good for larger tanks as more volume of water need to circulate for effective filtration. But mine is a small tank (8 - 10 liters water only), so it should not matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Without flow/waves in the tank, the waste would just settle down where it is instead of flowing with the waves and getting sucked in by the filter.
And I think the filter has to be fully immersed in water. Mine heats up a lot if the top is not immersed in water. Correct me if I am wrong.
It is a small tank with just about 8 - 10 liters of water. This filter was really causing a problem due to the suction. I tried adjusting it several ways like, sideways, near to the bottom etc. but it doesn't help. The suction is too much for the small fishes and they are constantly swimming against the pull.

The filter is fully immersed. I took the photo before refilling the water and also had pushed the filter a bit downwards.

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 11th April 2016 at 15:23. Reason: Addendum
sukhoi30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 16:09   #340
BHPian

Quote:
The filter is fully immersed. I took the photo before refilling the water and also had pushed the filter a bit downwards.
Try placing it horizontally at the bottom of tank - the flow as per this is the least.

Or else, bend the incoming air hose and tie a loose rubber band to hold it in place - the less air sucked in, the less flow it will throw.
ptaneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 16:46   #341
BHPian

@Sukhoi: Your tank should be 25L roughly as per measurement given by you earlier. So what you should be looking for is filter with a flow rate of at least 5 times the volume. So 100LPH should be what you are looking for.

Neon's and Angels seldom like fast flowing water so getting bio-sponge filters, hang on filters, internal filters with spray bar diffusers or external filters with spray bar diffusers are the way to go.

Now Angels do not belong in your tank. They are majestic fishes which grow big and need large tanks and preferably more tall than wide.

You can set up a planted tank for the neons. Your filtration options are:

http://www.amazon.in/BOYU-EF-05-Mult.../dp/B00LIUQ74E

http://aquanatureonline.com/index.ph...lter-cy-20.cms

http://aquanatureonline.com/index.ph...filter-852.cms

or similar hang on filters.

Get plants in your tank. Neons need plants to feel at home. What is that in the tank background? Looks like it is eating up tank space and would be a magnet for sludge to get trapped in.

Just do a google image search for nano neon tetra tanks and get an idea. If it seems like too much work, give it all away and get one siamese fighting fish.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:07   #342
BHPian

So the planted shrimp taking is settling in really well (and flourishing)

Ordered and received 2 pots of Micranthemum (monte carlo) tissue cultured from Amazon.

Planting these took me a while but they've seemed to have "caught on" to the substrate well. No floaters spotted. Below are some pics of the set-up and carpet on day one... These should be properly spreading in 8 - 12 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_4150.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_4154.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_4166.jpg  

Old 25th April 2016, 13:45   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
So the planted shrimp taking is settling in really well (and flourishing)

Ordered and received 2 pots of Micranthemum (monte carlo) tissue cultured from Amazon.

Planting these took me a while but they've seemed to have "caught on" to the substrate well. No floaters spotted. Below are some pics of the set-up and carpet on day one... These should be properly spreading in 8 - 12 weeks.
Hey,
How did you plant the Monte Carlo? I had got a piece of them but they did not catch up well. I had pinned them with a toothpick but the plants never grew. The other plants in my tank have caught up well and are growing like a jungle. Only this one failed.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 14:09   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hey,
How did you plant the Monte Carlo? I had got a piece of them but they did not catch up well. I had pinned them with a toothpick but the plants never grew. The other plants in my tank have caught up well and are growing like a jungle. Only this one failed.
I've been reading up and watching videos on planting montecarlo.

The correct way of doing this is, is before filling the tank up with water over the substrate level and keeping them moist, with good lighting and cling wrapping the tank to allow for the beneficial bacteria to build and so the roots catch on.

You need a good 2 - 3 inches of good aquasoil (I am using ADA amazonia) and also a good pair of aquascape tongs (forceps) to drive them halfway through - cannot stuff them in with fingers. ANDDD a lot of patience

Here's a link to one of the videos:

I managed to drive them in with 4 inches of water above the substrate level but had to put a plastic sheet put over the carpet before adding water so it wouldn't disrupt the carpet/substrate.

These are pretty easy to manage but are needy when it comes to good lighting and CO2.

Last edited by R32_GTR : 25th April 2016 at 14:15.
Old 26th April 2016, 18:31   #345
BHPian

I got some scenery picture and pasted it on the back of the aquarium. Will it enhance the look if I remove the background?
Most of the tank pictures posted here does not have a picture at the back of the tank.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote