Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd August 2017, 15:05   #571
BHPian

Default Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

My Black Molly gave birth to about 15 fry 3 weeks back. Now they have doubled in size but are still silver in color. When will they become black. There are a few white Molly in the same tank so could have cross bred. Other fish are a few Goldfish and a plecos.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:12   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My Black Molly gave birth to about 15 fry 3 weeks back. Now they have doubled in size but are still silver in color. When will they become black. There are a few white Molly in the same tank so could have cross bred. Other fish are a few Goldfish and a plecos.
It will usually stay like that. Black mollies are born black and they remain so. It is a case of cross colouring. But this will lead to mixed results. Sometimes the colour combinations will be really good, and sometimes horrible Try to pair black with an orange molly and the results are good. Usually silver mollies are the worst looking of the lot, unless they get some black spots or such.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:44   #573
BHPian

I've never had silver mollies. This black has been in my tank for ~2 years atleast. With other blacks, and a few whites. How did the silver creep in? They actually look like guppies.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:29   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I've never had silver mollies. This black has been in my tank for ~2 years atleast. With other blacks, and a few whites. How did the silver creep in? They actually look like guppies.
Then the babies will grow up to be white mollies or white ones with some dark patches. The white babies usually take some time to get the milky white pigmentation before which they will look colorless or as you say like guppies.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote